S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S-Tronic initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:29 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts
Default S-Tronic initial impressions

This is just my initial impressions of the S-Tronic in my new 2012 S4 after only 1 day of ownership.

From my test drive I felt the S-Tronic shifted smooth enough in normal driving to be comparable to a standard Tiptronic transmission. After having it for a day I do see now how it behaves --at times-- more like a manual. Not a bad thing just "different".

For example on a hill if you are holding the car with the brake and simply release it without pressing the gas the car will roll back a very small amount before it catches itself. (For those who don't know a standard tiptronic will hold steady or even creep up a small hill.) This is also interesting when pulling in close to a garage wall or similar as the car doesn't creep forward the same way a tiptronic does. It will creep, just in a different way...more manual-esque.

I'm sure it is still adapting to my driving style, but it does not downshift quite as readily as other automatics. Fortunately the torque of the engine makes up for it and ultimately if I want a lower gear I know I can just tap the paddle or jab the throttle a little harder.

For most other instance so far it is good. Cruising around is comfortable and smooth, hard acceleration is lighting fast.

None of my observations are really complaints, just noted differences. We'll see as time goes by if I become more accustomed as I'm sure some of my feelings are just because I am coming from a traditional automatic.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your second S4! Good comments on the S-tronic. I've also noticed that it doesn't creep much depending on the conditions. I love the S-tronic much more than the tiptronic that was in my 4Motion. With the VW, downshifting on a downward hill or just approaching a red light or something actually caused the car to go into a 'freefall' mode for a couple seconds before downshifting if you didn't stay on the gas pedal. So, to downshift and slow the car down, you had to brake also. The S-tronic downshifts right away, which is what I expect and want. Have fun with the 2012.

Apologies to others here who may be getting tired of my comparisons to the old VW. I'm a month in on the S4 and grinning ear to ear still.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:01 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. Absolutely agree so far. S-Tronic is nicer than 5/6-spd Tiptronic...no experience with the latest 8-spd version.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've heard a few mentions of 8-speed transmissions...not for an S4? Audi's site shows 7-speed for the 2012. Are any Audis using an 8-speed now?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 S4 with S-Tronic and I think it's a much smoother transmission than the new 8 speed. I had an 2011 A4 Avant (traded it after numerous issues) with the 8 speed Auto Tranny and it was not as smooth and had hesitation issues. Others have posted similar experiences with the 2011 models.

The only issue I have had with the S-tronic was an isolated instance where I was trying to back out of a steep driveway a few days ago. For some reason reverse wouldn't engage and I was rolling forward. I had a foot on the brake and one on the gas. The transmission made a strange sound and I thought I noticed an unusual faint odor. I put it back in Park and then reverse to try and clear it up. I was able to back out but it was not normal. I drove off and all was normal and it hasn't happened again. I read a post that mentioned using the gas and brake may "confuse" the computer and cause this type of issue. I really don't know if that was it. If it happens again I will have it checked. Unfortunately I just had my 5,000 service before it happened. Otherwise I would have mentioned it to the service advisor. In 5,000 miles of driving that's the only issue I have had with the transmission. Overall I'm very pleased with it.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
I've heard a few mentions of 8-speed transmissions...not for an S4? Audi's site shows 7-speed for the 2012. Are any Audis using an 8-speed now?
The 8 speed is not an S-tronic.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zulujams
The Q5 has an 8-speed transmission (not sure if it's all models or just the most recent model years) and perhaps the A4.

I have the S-Tronic on my S4 and after 3 weeks, I can say that it's been a joy to drive. I drove a manual for the last 20+ years and was finally getting a bit fed-up driving a stick on my daily commute in city traffic. For me, using the paddles is what the S-Tronic is all about. If I want to be more "involved" I use the paddles, but it's really nice to just cruise to/from work without using them as well. So far, I'm really happy with my decision!

Last edited by James P.; 09-20-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drgork
The only issue I have had with the S-tronic was an isolated instance where I was trying to back out of a steep driveway a few days ago. For some reason reverse wouldn't engage and I was rolling forward. I had a foot on the brake and one on the gas. The transmission made a strange sound and I thought I noticed an unusual faint odor.
I guess engaging the e-brake would do it. auto-release will kick in once the car starts to roll.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1
Old 09-21-2011, 05:05 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

The A4, A5, A6, Q5, Q7, A8 all have 8-spd Tiptronics now.

Quick Reply: S-Tronic initial impressions