S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S-tronic - jerking problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-tronic - jerking problem

Hello guys (sorry for my english, i need your advice with S-TRONIC. I have S5 sportback (with V6T engine with 2700 miles) and here is my problem (if its problem or not?) :

My S-tronic doesnt have any problem of that i found on internet, its all smooth on first and second gear, no problems overall.

But if i hold acceleration pedal down, wait until RPM is on max (7000) and then is gearbox upshifting on next gear ... its also with no problem. I get problem when i drop foot from acceleration pedal exactly in second when engine reach max RPM and gearbox is upshifting - i get strongly jerk. If i drop foot at 6800 or 6900 rpm, or wait second on pedal to let gearbox upshift and then i drop foot, its all with no problem and smooth.

Is it normal, or problem? I really dont know if i should visit service or just let it be .

Thank you very much for your help, i hope you all understand what i wrote ,-).
Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kojotous
Hello guys (sorry for my english, i need your advice with S-TRONIC. I have S5 sportback (with V6T engine with 2700 miles) and here is my problem (if its problem or not?) :

My S-tronic doesnt have any problem of that i found on internet, its all smooth on first and second gear, no problems overall.

But if i hold acceleration pedal down, wait until RPM is on max (7000) and then is gearbox upshifting on next gear ... its also with no problem. I get problem when i drop foot from acceleration pedal exactly in second when engine reach max RPM and gearbox is upshifting - i get strongly jerk. If i drop foot at 6800 or 6900 rpm, or wait second on pedal to let gearbox upshift and then i drop foot, its all with no problem and smooth.

Is it normal, or problem? I really dont know if i should visit service or just let it be .

Thank you very much for your help, i hope you all understand what i wrote ,-).
If I understand you correctly you are saying that just before redline you lift off the gas and get a jerk as it shifts gears. But when you lift off after it shifts or dont lift at all you have no problmes?

If what I said above is correct that is normal...lesson to be learned here is DONT LIFT!
Old 09-29-2010, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 81bear
If what I said above is correct that is normal...lesson to be learned here is DONT LIFT!

Exactly. Why would you lift the accel at max RPM?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sometimes you have to do it ... drop foot from gas pedal and then brake... and theres no time to watch if my car is just in that second changing gear on max RPM . Yes, its really not often but sometimes (maybe 1 x in 50 miles) and then its becomes - jerk. I just worried if its normal or not

thank you
Old 09-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 81bear
If I understand you correctly you are saying that just before redline you lift off the gas and get a jerk as it shifts gears. But when you lift off after it shifts or dont lift at all you have no problmes?

i get a jerk only in time when i exactly lift off the gas at same time as gearbox is shifting - its on max rpm 7000. I can lift off before gearbox is shifting (6500,6600,6700, etc) with no problem and its smooth or after gear is changed on higher with no problem too. Only problem is in time when i hit wrong time - changing gear on max rpm + lift off the gas at same time = strongly jerk .
Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't lift. This drives like an auto, the only reason you need to lift is if you are stopping the car. Keep your foot down all the way.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts

Sometimes one needs to lift due to speed limits or traffic. It is best to try to plan ahead & try to avoid the case, when it might jerk (for reliability).
Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by m444
Sometimes one needs to lift due to speed limits or traffic. It is best to try to plan ahead & try to avoid the case, when it might jerk (for reliability).
Agreed, but in all honesty, if you are WOT and lifting at redline due to traffic or something, you are driving pretty irresponibly, and your DSG is not the jerk you are having a problem with.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And whats your experiences guys? Dont you have any jerking when you are driving at your max limits? I think maybe someone already noticed that "unusual" jerk at max RPM when gearbox is shifting up and you had to right now stop accelerate and pull out foot from gas.

If i am not alone, it would be nice to know .

thanks
Old 09-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Agreed, but in all honesty, if you are WOT and lifting at redline due to traffic or something, you are driving pretty irresponibly, and your DSG is not the jerk you are having a problem with.
Sure, my experiences with that problem are from ring mostly

Quick Reply: S-tronic - jerking problem