S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S-tronic - jerking problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see, that explains much, thanks
Old 09-29-2010, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he's hitting the rev limiter like we have been discussing on AZ. I have experienced this as well. Funny now that he describes it I believe that this is exactly how I have hit it as well.

The more I scrutinize the DSG them more I wish I had gotten the 6MT. Then I drive to work in bumper to bumper and come to my senses.

Kojotous, from a dig do you bog down sometimes?
Old 09-29-2010, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a problem. The DSG decides what it's going to do about 2 seconds before it actually does it. I sometimes get a nasty shifts because I nail it during the limbo time between when the DSG has decided to upshift and when it actually executes the upshift.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Agreed, but in all honesty, if you are WOT and lifting at redline due to traffic or something, you are driving pretty irresponibly, and your DSG is not the jerk you are having a problem with.
Not true, some of use a large amount of margin & space between us and other drivers. Letting off the gas at near 70mph can cause this a jerk, if one lets off too abruptly.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m444
Not true, some of use a large amount of margin & space between us and other drivers.
Yeah, I'm that far in front of them!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eggplant Wizard
It's a problem. The DSG decides what it's going to do about 2 seconds before it actually does it. I sometimes get a nasty shifts because I nail it during the limbo time between when the DSG has decided to upshift and when it actually executes the upshift.
We can't confuse the time it takes to rev match with there being a problem. If you want to nail it and get out of there fast you should use the paddles to downshift then nail it.

My problem is that I am used to manual shift and I can be gone without even thinking about it. With the paddles I am always like "OK what gear am I in? 5th? OK. What speed am I at? 45? OK. Left paddle 3 times and floor it". By the time all of that happened I've lost already. Need more experience.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by voltrons_head
We can't confuse the time it takes to rev match with there being a problem. If you want to nail it and get out of there fast you should use the paddles to downshift then nail it.

My problem is that I am used to manual shift and I can be gone without even thinking about it. With the paddles I am always like "OK what gear am I in? 5th? OK. What speed am I at? 45? OK. Left paddle 3 times and floor it". By the time all of that happened I've lost already. Need more experience.
Yea, there are so many gears and the cars short shifts so often, you can always get away with a double tap and drop 2 gears. That is always the safe bet to get into the power band.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you all

Now just one simply question

Sometimes when you are at higher rpm (6000+) and you have to pull out foot from gas pedal for any reason (car in front of you or so...) do you feel stronger or weaker jerk, any sound like bump ... or your car decetelare absolutly smooth?

If i am not alone, ill let it be ... otherwise i am going to service .
Old 09-30-2010, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by voltrons_head

It has nothing to do with the time it takes to rev match. Rev matching is almost instantaneous on an upshift at low RPM. It's an issue of the car deciding it's going to upshift, but not actually starting the upshift until some time later. The time delta is large enough that conditions can change.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've only had it happen at redline I think. I'd have to give it a shot and let you know.

Quick Reply: S-tronic - jerking problem