S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

s tronic jerky

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s tronic jerky

when during low speed stop and go, like cruising around for a parking space, everytime i gas after braking, the car jerks like the gears are popping.

also i can never do a smooth stop, its jerky as well
Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have had the most recent software upgrade for the car and when the car is downshifting, especially from 2nd to 1st, it's not subtle. I have only noticed this when I'm in "D." Interestingly, if you're in the "manual" mode and you're breaking and you let the car downshift, it's VERY smoooooth. Weird.

Anyhow, I think it's just "the way it is." I've gotten used to it for the most part.

Originally Posted by aalui
when during low speed stop and go, like cruising around for a parking space, everytime i gas after braking, the car jerks like the gears are popping.

also i can never do a smooth stop, its jerky as well
Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

hmm, I have a 6mt but I kinda have this prob as well.

I don't know if it's normal, but when I'm in my first gear (sometimes in 2nd) and just have my foot off the gas, it jerks a little as it slows down...

I always thought it was a 'manual transmission' thing cuz my b8 a4 had the same thing as well (only mt cars that I've owned).

is this normal?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Picked mine up last week and havn't noticed any jerking. In fact, it is smoother than my old Honda. When I let off the the brake, you can feel it engage the gear, but it is not jerky. Do you have ADS or Sport diff? If so, try adjusting the throttle response to comfort, that may help, but even in dynamic, mine is smooth.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
I have had the most recent software upgrade for the car and when the car is downshifting, especially from 2nd to 1st, it's not subtle.
+1. I find this doesn't happen consistently, but 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st can feel a bit "clunky" at times. Seems to happen when I'm in Dynamic, much less so in Auto -- and generally only happens when I'm taking it easy, or transitioning from easy to more spirited driving. My service manager confirmed that such behavior is not uncommon with the S tronic (sounded like it was more of a "confused software thing" rather than a mechanical issue).
Old 07-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Smith837
+1. I find this doesn't happen consistently, but 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st can feel a bit "clunky" at times. Seems to happen when I'm in Dynamic, much less so in Auto -- and generally only happens when I'm taking it easy, or transitioning from easy to more spirited driving. My service manager confirmed that such behavior is not uncommon with the S tronic (sounded like it was more of a "confused software thing" rather than a mechanical issue).
I dont have ADS or SD. So its always in Auto mode. I guess it sounds right the computer is confused lol
Old 07-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I experience the same thing. Sometimes its silky smooth, but other times, its very jerky. I don't really know how to replicate it, but my GTI with DSG was the same way, so I figured this is normal.

Sometimes when its really hot out, or right after some hard acceleration, I find that it seems to lurch right before coming to a complete stop, or starting to move from a standstill, but again, can't replicate it all the time...lol
Old 07-28-2010, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I noticed every now and then that when slowing down the tranny gets a little herky-jerky from the 2-1 downshift.Other times it's buttery smooth even in stop and go traffic-strange.From what I gather,the harder and faster you push this car the tranny becomes seamless and never feel the shifts,only hear them.Heard their was a TSB update for the S-tronic regarding shift smoothness,will likely check up on it at the 5K service.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BLACK10-S4P
Heard their was a TSB update for the S-tronic regarding shift smoothness,will likely check up on it at the 5K service.
Not me. I'm going to specifically tell my SA not to do anything to the transmission. I like the way it shifts. Making it smoother = making it less performance oriented IMO. You can't have smoother shifts AND fast/firm shifts at the same time. So they will most likely dial back on the clamping forces or have a bigger delay in the shifts... OR BOTH.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK10-S4P
I noticed every now and then that when slowing down the tranny gets a little herky-jerky from the 2-1 downshift.Other times it's buttery smooth even in stop and go traffic-strange.From what I gather,the harder and faster you push this car the tranny becomes seamless and never feel the shifts,only hear them.Heard their was a TSB update for the S-tronic regarding shift smoothness,will likely check up on it at the 5K service.
Put your car in Sport mode (or Dynamic if you have DSG or "DSG lite") and with the paddles (tiptronic), if you can shift into 7th, then you already have the software update. If you can only shift to 6th in Sport/Dynamic, then you don't.

Quick Reply: s tronic jerky