S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: What transmission did you buy your B8 S4 with?
Manual
45.45%
S-Tronic
54.55%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

S-Tronic or Manual...what did you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakimano
Just a simple poll to gauge the number of manual transmission vs. S-tronic cars out there. This is slanted to forum members who tend to be performance junkies, so that might intimate a greater portion of manual cars, but a dual clutch paddle shifted DSG is damn fun, especially if you're at a track day.

Anyway, simple question in the form of a poll. Please only answer if you own a B8 S4.
I am an MT guy, ran 6MT. been driving MTs for almost 40 years now. Test drove a DSG, fine tranny, but not as engaging to me.

Bruce
Old 11-08-2011, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Manual, crank starter, crank windows and carbs. (just anticipating the inevitable "old school" comments)
Old 11-08-2011, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You crank your carb? Doesn't that get tiring on long drives? :>

6MT here. I almost went for the DSG, but a) manual mode not being truly manual turned me off, and b) I just bought a Car & Driver "Save the Manuals" t-shirt in the spring, and wanted to be able to keep wearing it.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jlarke
You crank your carb? Doesn't that get tiring on long drives? :>

6MT here. I almost went for the DSG, but a) manual mode not being truly manual turned me off, and b) I just bought a Car & Driver "Save the Manuals" t-shirt in the spring, and wanted to be able to keep wearing it.
Yes it does get tiring but it's worth it for the pure satisfaction of cranking your carb yourself as opposed to it being done for you.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I ordered my car with a MT, when I first fell in love with S4's 11 years ago, you could't really find an S4 with an automatic transmission although they did exist. This will be my first car that is a MT, and although I did consider the DSG I always felt this is one of those cars you shouldn't get in automatic.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

DSG here. I think this is a very personal choice. Absolute performance goes to DSG, more interaction between the man and the machine goes to manual. There are times that the DSG shifts a little slow and shifts too late or early to manual inputs and I get a little annoyed. But then when I go hot into a corner and hear the perfect throttle downshift blip, all is forgiven.

And at the end of the day on the way back home when I am really tired and stressed out I just put it on "comfort" just cruise back home. That time I am sure glad I got the DSG.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default MT All The Way

Missed "rowing" in the last few A6's, so I thoroughly enjoyed the MT in the most recent A4 S-line, so the S4 had to be another rower. I must admit, my wife's Mini's with a bitch stick are fun too, but I find myself using the paddle shifters or manumatic often.

My $.02
Old 11-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Banned

So, looks like slightly in favour of S-Tronics.

Here's something to chew on, with the news that Audi is phasing out manual S4s in Europe and ROW.

3 years ago I did a poll on gas mileage in the B6/7 S4 forum on audizine (don't laugh at the results lol). Anyway, I had guys answer based on MPG and had the options divided by transmission. We had a few hundred replies, and the breakdowns were quite different to the B8 S4.

B6/7 S4
Manual = 68%
Auto = 32%

B8 S4
Manual = 46%
Auto = 54%

Pretty huge change. One might argue the tiptronic in the b6/7 wasn't so great while the s-tronic is more high tech and performance oriented, and I don't think too many would disagree with you, but I wouldn't think that's such a huge factor. I think people are just moving away from manual transmission cars in general.

When the B7 RS4 came out it was manual transmission only...and people loved that and praised Audi for the performance focused decision. When the TTRS came out 5 short years later, and it was only available in manual in the US, people were disappointed. Amazing how times have changed.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
When the B7 RS4 came out it was manual transmission only...and people loved that and praised Audi for the performance focused decision. When the TTRS came out 5 short years later, and it was only available in manual in the US, people were disappointed. Amazing how times have changed.
I'm a die-hard MT guy, but to be fair, it's amazing how good the auto-manuals have become in the last five years . . . now faster and more fuel efficient than a MT. They're still not any fun though . . .
Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
...it's amazing how good the auto-manuals have become in the last five years . . . now faster and more fuel efficient than a MT. They're still not any fun though . . .
Perfectly said. Couldn't agree more on all counts.

Quick Reply: S-Tronic or Manual...what did you buy?