S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S - tronic: is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said - it is common. In fact, it's common on all DCT regardless if it's on VW, Audi, GTR, Evo, BMW or Porsche. It's a quirk with this type of transmission.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also encounter the same. I feel it's getting better as you drive. Maybe the system is collecting driving habits and constantly adapting.
However if it's always there, you may say it's normal for the DSG itself, but it definitely has room to improve. Don't you think you can do better with true manual?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
It's dual clutch, not sequential, therefore it can (and does) skip gears if the need arises.

That said, since there is a clutch involved, the transmission will put the car into neutral by engaging the clutch a moment before the car actually stops to prevent stalling. If you immediately nail the gas, it has to go "Whoa, I just stopped, now we are going" basically - it releases the clutch (depending on how much gas you gave it and if you are in Dynamic) possibly very quickly, giving a hard engagement.

If you are in "M" mode, this can be worse.
Idd true, my bad... I had the SMG (m3) in mind...
Old 09-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by joedesi
Hi All

I picked up my 2011 s4 about three weeks ago with stronic 7 speed box.

Coupled to the 'charged v6 it makes an excellen drivetrain.

I have however noticed some jerkiness if you quickly bring the car to a stop
At a junction and then set off again sharply

It feels like it's momentarily hunting for 1st gear after coming down from 7 th?

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Jd
you wont feel that jerkiness ounce the computer adapt to your driving style, thats how i feel when i first drove it lol
Old 09-23-2011, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Second-gear preference

Originally Posted by joedesi
I have however noticed some jerkiness if you quickly bring the car to a stop
At a junction and then set off again sharply
It seems that when using D mode, all of the S-tronics are programmed with a preference for remaining in 2nd gear, when making a normal (i.e., slightly rolling) stop, then setting off at a gentle pace. This is definitely the case with my TT, and I've seen comments to this effect from S4 owners. In fact, getting the transmission to drop into first gear using the paddles is a bit tricky - you need to use a series of paddle shifts as you slow down since it'll ignore the paddles when the car is creeping in D mode.
However, if you start off suddenly, the increased throttle will make the transmission decide to drop down to first, and since this is done quickly while the engine's producing significant torque, it will tend to feel jerky.
The two workarounds I've found are:
1. (as hinted above) Paddle-shift down in steps to first gear as you slow to a stop. These shifts will be smooth since you're off the throttle. You will then be starting off in M1, so you'll need to shift manually as you accelerate (hold the upshift-paddle for a few seconds to return to D mode).
2. (works on TT, but not tested on an S4 yet) Right as you're coming to a stop, or at least before you hit the throttle, flick the console shifter over to M. This will cause the transmission to smoothly drop down to M1. After you start accelerating away, move the shifter back to D.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by xxShadowxx
Since you have ADS, I highly recommend tuning it to your personal taste and using the Individual setting most of the time. I only change from individual to Dynamic. I never use Auto or Comfort.
To be honest, I hardly use dynamic, usually on Auto or Individual (Comfort suspension, Auto steering/throttle/diff)

Since posting Ive been observing the way the transmission reacts in different circumstances. It feels like a manual driven by someone who hasn't quite figured out clutch control !! e.g. when creeping in heavy traffic and moving off it can have some jerkiness. This really shouldn't be the case, although this is my first DCT.

Slightly off topic, I tried the launch control for the first time...wow. This gearbox does have some benefits

Any ideas if using launch affects your warranty tho :roll eyes:

Jd