S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S Tronic Under Full Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S Tronic Under Full Throttle

My S4 will not shift manually under full throttle. It shifts automatically in manual mode once it hits approx 6500 rpms but I can't get it to shift through manual mode. If I let off the gas a little, it will shift. I took an Audi mechanic out this morning to demonstrate. He is going to try another S4 to see if it is an issue specific to my car. Has anyone else experienced this? The mechanic also put my car on the computer but everything tested out OK
Old 12-10-2010, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nicky_do_it
My S4 will not shift manually under full throttle. It shifts automatically in manual mode once it hits approx 6500 rpms but I can't get it to shift through manual mode. If I let off the gas a little, it will shift. I took an Audi mechanic out this morning to demonstrate. He is going to try another S4 to see if it is an issue specific to my car. Has anyone else experienced this? The mechanic also put my car on the computer but everything tested out OK
Sorry I dont really understand your problem. In manual mode it should only shift for you @ 7000rpm regardless how aggresive you are with the gas. You should however be able to shift in manual mode manually at relatively any rpm range.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 81bear
Sorry I dont really understand your problem. In manual mode it should only shift for you @ 7000rpm regardless how aggresive you are with the gas. You should however be able to shift in manual mode manually at relatively any rpm range.
Under full throttle I can not shift manually at any rpm. Once the rpms reach 7000 in manual mode, it shifts automatically. No lie. The mechanic witnessed it also.

I can shift manually at any rpm if not fully throttled. The test I need is for someone to press pedal to metal in manual mode, do not let off the gas at all, then try to upshift with either paddle or shifter.

Last edited by Nicky_do_it; 12-10-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Under full throttle I can not shift manually at any rpm. Once the rpms reach 7000 in manual mode, it shifts automatically. No lie. The mechanic witnessed it also.

I can shift manually at any rpm if not fully throttled. The test I need is for someone to press pedal to metal in manual mode, do not let off the gas at all, then try to upshift with either paddle or shifter.
The problem is with the gas pedal. If you floor it all the way apparently you engage some kind of switch, and then the DSG takes over. The trick is to go full throttle without engaging the switch. Strange, but that is what I was told over on Audizine.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clochner
The problem is with the gas pedal. If you floor it all the way apparently you engage some kind of switch, and then the DSG takes over. The trick is to go full throttle without engaging the switch. Strange, but that is what I was told over on Audizine.
How do you floor it without engaging the switch? Are you saying there is a proper technique to it or are you saying that the gas pedal needs to be corrected?

If it's technique then I would think this would have been a more prevalent topic on this forum. Otherwise, DSG owners have a light foot.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How do you floor it without engaging the switch? Are you saying there is a proper technique to it or are you saying that the gas pedal needs to be corrected?

If it's technique then I would think this would have been a more prevalent topic on this forum. Otherwise, DSG owners have a light foot.
Check out this thread. I started it on Audizine raising the same question as you. Still not sure if I fully understand what's going on

Edit: that link isn't working. Click here instead: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...quot-mode-.-.-

Last edited by clochner; 12-10-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can confirm your results. I believe it is a software issue that all Stronics face. I had never noticed it before because when I go WOT I always let the Stronic shift for me. I dont really think its a problem though or at least not to me!

Last edited by 81bear; 12-10-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 12-10-2010, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clochner
Check out this thread. I started it on Audizine raising the same question as you. Still not sure if I fully understand what's going on

Edit: that link isn't working. Click here instead: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...quot-mode-.-.-
I appreciate the help but I think we are talking about two different issues. The DSG is not shifting prematurely on it's own as you described. I can't shift manually before reaching 7000rpm at WOT (wide open throttle) Picture this scenario: I am at a drag strip. From a dead stop in manual mode, I press the gas to the floor. While in first I can't manually shift to second under WOT at any rpm but once the rpms reach 7000, the transmission automatically shifts into second. Then I am in second gear trying to shift manually into third but it doesn't until once again it reaches 7000 rpms and shifts automatically. This happens for every gear. However if I lift off the gas a little, I can shift manually. It may be related to the gas pedal triggering a switch but I am not sure if there is a work around. It's as if the transmission swithces to automatic mode when accelerating under full throttle. It's terrible and I don't get the point of the DSG now.

Last edited by Nicky_do_it; 12-10-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I appreciate the help but I think we are talking about two different issues. Picture this scenario: I am at a drag strip. From a dead stop in manual mode, I press the gas to the floor. While in first I can't manually shift to second under full throttle at any rpm but once the rpms reach 7000, the transmission automatically shifts into second. Then I am in second gear trying to shift manually into third but it doesn't until once again it reaches 7000 rpms and shifts automatically. This happens for every gear. However if I lift off the gas a little, I can shift manually. It may be related to the gas pedal triggering a switch but I am not sure if there is a work around. It's as if the transmission swithces to automatic mode when accelerating under full throttle. It's terrible and I don't get the point of the DSG now.

now i'm confused as all hell. We need NWS4Guy to straighten things out.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 81bear
I can confirm your results. I believe it is a software issue that all Stronics face. I had never noticed it before because when I go WOT I always let the Stronic shift for me. I dont really think its a problem though or at least not to me!
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I wish that I could upshift while under WOT. I thought the DSG would have offered the best of both worlds but I guess there is some compromise. I miss having a manual.

Quick Reply: S Tronic Under Full Throttle