S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S-Tronic vs. manual transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6MT is cheaper, more fun to drive in all but the 5% of the time I spend in stop and go traffic, and has fewer things that can go wrong with it. Oh, and I can launch one from 4000rpms should the desire arise.

That said, the S-tronic is a heck of a transmission and one of the few I would consider in leiu of a manual. Its just not the choice for me given the above factors.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TCat
We have identified the problem.
  • I drive my car; I am in control, planning the next curve, lining up for best results.
  • You ride in your car; you are surprised by each corner, had no idea that yellow light was going to turn red, and are happy to reach the destination.
Okay, a bit of hyperbole, but you get the idea. You are correct that, given a sudden unexpected input, the S-Tronic shifts faster. But a real driver - the type who appreciates the S4, or M3, etc. - pre-plans the shifts and such. Here's what I can do better with a stick... I can engage the clutch, rev the engine while downshifting, and lay down some serious power out of the next corner. With an automatic, that combo, which is pretty useful, is essentially off-limits. The S-Tronic doesn't know the corner is coming, and while the tranny can do what you want quickly, the engine can't.

Although truth be told I just enjoy shifting.
It doesn't sound like you understand how the S-Tronic system works. Are you saying F1 drivers are not "real drivers"?

Last edited by Songer; 08-30-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Songer
It doesn't sound like you understand how the S-Tronic system works. Are you saying F1 drivers are not "real drivers"?
It's quite possible that I don't understand how S-Tronic works. I did test-drive what I thought was S-Tronic earlier this month for several hours before buying my 2011 S4 Prestige 6MT, but may not have figured out how to best use the tranny. And I was definitely prejudiced; all of the six new cars I've bought myself have been manuals.

I would say, though, that F1 drivers don't have nearly as many traffic lights to deal with. The best transmission for one situation may not be the best for another.

How does using the S-Tronic (not just the technology, but the U.I.) differ from, say, TipTronic?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's quite possible that I don't understand how S-Tronic works. I did test-drive what I thought was S-Tronic earlier this month for several hours before buying my 2011 S4 Prestige 6MT, but may not have figured out how to best use the tranny. And I was definitely prejudiced; all of the six new cars I've bought myself have been manuals.

I would say, though, that F1 drivers don't have nearly as many traffic lights to deal with. The best transmission for one situation may not be the best for another.

How does using the S-Tronic (not just the technology, but the U.I.) differ from, say, TipTronic?
Tiptronics are usually true automatics with a torque converter, whereas the S-tronic is really a pair of automated manuals with clutches and overlapping gears.

Torque converters are lossy, and true autos are generally slower to switch gears, whereas the S-Tronic has instantaneous changes due to overlapping gears.

Last edited by helix139; 08-30-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...and let's not forget that WRC drivers use sequential gearboxes as well. I think that they're pretty good at planning ahead for upcoming corners! Are they not true drivers anymore since they don't drive a stick? LOL.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Songer
It was only a matter of time before this was posted. Actually, F1 drivers are "real employees" of "real businesses" who collectively spend multi billions of dollars a year with the goal of getting around a track quicker than others. If the technology is available and allowed by the rules, of course the cars will use the transmission that shifts faster. What does that have to do with driving a street car on the street? So what if your transmission shifts a few thousands or even a few seconds faster than I can shift, I (maybe not you) ENJOY using an old fashioned stick and clutch pedal. I agree with Doc GP in that as much as I love this car, if it was not available with a conventional manual, I would not have bought it. I am fortunate in that I commute to work via mass transit and my car is a "toy" for me. For those who drive in traffic every day or those who don't enjoy shifting a manual there is nothing wrong with getting the S-tronic and I will not knock those who do. But please stop the statements comparing to F1 drivers or the comments about newer, better, faster technology. Comparing a transmission to the demise of the starter crank (sorry NWS4Guy) or a typewriter is silly. I have ridden motorcycles for over 35 years and never miss the old kick start as that,or the electric start is just a means to get to the fun part of riding which is the actual riding. In much the same way, shifting, to me, is a large part of the driving experience. I assume most people on this board are car enthusists. With that being said, let me pose a question: when the time comes several years down the road and the technology is available via sensors and lasers that read the road, traffic, weather etc and cars are able to steer themselves "better and faster" than the driver could, would you want that? Would you then say the driver steering a car is old school and not as fast as HAL can do it, therefore driving yourself is like using a typewriter? I have nothing against technology and, yes, I have the sport diff and it is fantastic. In fact, I would love for the S4 to have the technology that the 370Z has for rev matching downshifts as after all these years of driving manuals, I still can't heel & toe to save my life but I still love shifting my own gears however many thousand of seconds slower I may be than a computer.

Last edited by no cell; 08-30-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have identified the problem.
Here's what I can do better with a stick... I can engage the clutch, rev the engine while downshifting, and lay down some serious power out of the next corner. With an automatic, that combo, which is pretty useful, is essentially off-limits. The S-Tronic doesn't know the corner is coming, and while the tranny can do what you want quickly, the engine can't.

Although truth be told I just enjoy shifting.
Nothing wrong with choosing one over the other, it's all up to the driver and preference.

That said, any DSG owner at any time can tap or double tap the downshift paddle, and the engine rev matches and shifts faster than humanly possible by an order of magnitude. The clutch engages near instantaniously with no slippage to wear the clutch or loose power during the shifts, both up or down.

The S-tronic doesn't have to know the corner is coming, the 6MT doesn't either, both respond to the human inputs - both will do what they are forcably told to do, and one has the additional option to decide how to respond based on the inputs if chosen to remain in "D" or "S" mode.

In Dynamic mode with the sport diff, the shifts happen much later when left in "D" and when overridden in manual mode are even faster than normal and very are hard shifts. The engine is kept in the fat part of the power band simply because you can choose to override shifts, and because there is less loss of power between shifts. Tie in the Sport Diff and corners are all kinds of fun in either car.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you can't decide on S-tronic or 6 MT go by what you prefer driving.

In my opinion S-tronic is just basically a quicker shifting automatic. Do you like automatic trannys? If so you will like this one more because it shifts quicker. In the end it is basically an automatic. A4 automatic with sport package also has steering wheel shift levers only difference is teh S-tronic shifts way quicker.

I like it but I'm more of a stick guy... I am starting to wonder if I made a mistake not getting a 6MT.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, everyone gets an opinion, though it's not an automatic, it's an automated manual, which is night and day in terms of performance and operation.

http://www.motorera.com/dictionary/MA.HTM
Automatic Transmission:
A mechanism of the Drivetrain which takes the power from the engine and transfers it to the driveshaft or wheels.
•Without using a clutch, it uses a torque converter and fluid coupler to change the gear ratio.
•It automatically effects gear changes to meet varying road and load conditions.
•Gear changing is done through a series of oil operated Clutches and Bands.
- The S-Tronic is a DSG transmission, it not only has a clutch is has twice as many as a manual, which is used to change the gear ratios
- It has no torque convertor
- There is no fluid coupler
- There are no oil operated clutches or bands, it's a direct gear to gear like a manual

In fact the only thing it has which matches the definition above is the automatic ability to change gears to meet the varying conditions.

Manual Transmission:
(MT or M/T) A Transmission system in which gears are selected by the Driver by means of a hand-operated Gearshift and a foot-operated Clutch. In a Motorcycle the Clutch is hand-operated and the gearshift is foot-operated. Contrasts with an Automatic transmission. Also called a standard transmission.
Using the definition of manual, it meets all aspects except the lack of a foot operated clutch.

Last edited by NWS4Guy; 08-30-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

For a performance car, I'll take a manual for the driving involvement, and feel. Both feet, and both hands in use. No free appendage for a cell phone or mega gulp slushie.

As for people complaining about traffic and achy legs, well, I don't get it. I've driven across Chicago during rush hour with no complaints of a stiff leg due to the clutch. Maybe you're too out of shape or have some medical issues that need attention if it's a real problem. Drivers of 18 wheelers do it every day with a much, much heavier clutch and don't ever seem to complain about it.

I've driven cars with paddle shifters. I don't like them. There's too much steering wheel clutter. Shifter, turn signal stalk, and cruise control stalk all together gets really clumsy. Just leave it in D or S. I also don't care all that much for a tiptronic tranny. It won't allow 6th gear under 35mph, even though it's downhill. It can't downshift more than one gear at a time (like 6 -> 3). And while sport mode up shifts at higher revs, when cruising it won't shift into top gear unless you are in triple digit speeds.

And then there's snow. That's a whole other can of worms. Until driving a stick in snow, you don't appreciate how much better it feels than an auto or manumatic.

Quick Reply: S-Tronic vs. manual transmissions