S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S-Tronic without Sports Differential...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Tronic without Sports Differential...

I know there has been a lot of debate over the sports differential - I have opted to order mine without it. I heard that you lose the selectable drive settings "dynamic" "comfort" and "auto" and in return there is a "S" button the shift ****. Is this true? And is the "S" mode similar to the "dynamic" mode in terms of shift speed, holding gears, etc? Secondly, does anyone have a picture of an interior with Nav, S-Tronic, but no sports differential? I'd like to see the button/selection setup.

Also, I just order my car over the weekend and very excited to get it - S-Tronic, in white with black/black silk leather, navigation and Bang Olufsen. Going to be a long 3 months waiting. I currently have an '08 335xi currently, and I think this will be a nice upgrade since my lease is ending soon.

Thanks Guys!
Old 03-21-2010, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please get the Sports Diff....it's well worth the exa $$$....you can pass on the b/o
Old 03-21-2010, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree, definitely get the diff. Your car sounds similar to mine (see sig) and I'm very glad I got the rear diff. There are plenty of threads on the topic, but I can personaly say that I have felt the diff kick in on aggressive u-turns and long on/off ramps. Of course, I was pushing the car a bit to see what she could do but it sure was nice to feel it meet/exceed my expectations. The cost is a fraction of the total car price and it should add to resalebility of the car (lease not withstanding).
Old 03-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I appreciate all the input guys... I just don't drive hard enough to warrant the cost (I'll never track the car). I know all the reasons to get it, but, I've ALWAYS had AWD sports sedans and never had the "sports differential" - came from a BMW 335xi, Volvo S60R, Subaru WRX, if I was used to a rear wheel drive car, I know the sports differential helps the AWD Audi feel more like a rear wheel drive sports car, I'm just not looking for that.

I still would like help on the original question?

P.S. I read a couple reviews, when people drove both with and without a sports differential and they really couldn't feel the difference
Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

guys- cool your jets..... there are many of us who are kinda questioning our fellow Audiers for their selections... he said he already ordered his car....

Enjoy what you have- he will enjoy what he ordered.

Gawd, if we all ordered the same car, how dull would that be????

Zims- i did drive both, and you can certainly feel the difference-- if you know what you're sensing/looking for; but as you said, in the end, it is what you are looking for- noone else. Sorry- i have no pics to share. Mine has the Sports Diff...

BTW- congratulations on your order---hopefully the wait doesn't do you in!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

IAS5 is right - you can absolutely tell the difference if you drive hard.

That said, congrats on your car - you'll love it either way!

Can't help you with the questions - I prefer my cars with three pedals
Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

If nobody posts a pic, my car will have the set up you are looking to see and my car will be here next week so i'll snap some pics for you. I also had a wrx and a bmw 335 before this s4. I dont drive my car aggressive enough to want or care about the sport diff either. I like this car for the upgrade potential and the luxury and driveability audis always offer.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meteor S5
Please get the Sports Diff....it's well worth the exa $$$....you can pass on the b/o
I agree with Meteor S5!

I have S-tronic, Sports Diff, and B/O. B/O is very nice, esp. in conjunction with Nav plus. But, I'd give up B/O before the sport diff because of both sport & safety issues.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got my S4 without SD. Thought I might regret it, but have not so far. It's a great car. I would agree that you can forgo B/O over SD. But I was not in that position, though I could have given up Sprint Blue and gotten SD but too late now....

The "S" mode is another position down from "D" not a button. Manual mode is shifting the shifter to the right from "D".

Here's a pic, no NAV though.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks DroidAkty!!! Really appreciate you posting the pic, I see the "S" mode there - that will suffice for me, I just wanted to ensure I got the ability to have more aggressive shifts, etc. Obviously the nav will change the look a bit, but, the “S” option will be the same.

Different topic, does anyone have an insight how the Bang+Olufsen compares to the BMW Logic 7 system I have in my 335xi? Curious if they are comparable or I should expect the B+O to sound better?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: S-Tronic without Sports Differential...