S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 2010 vs RS4 2008

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 2010 vs RS4 2008

NOW i would like to buy myself an audi but i don t know wich one. So i would need all the advice or opinion as possible so i can make a real decision ...
THANKS TO ALL!
Old 12-12-2010, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

IMHO you can get a brand new S4 for the same price or less than a used RS4. Also the S4 is more "modable" so it's a win-win in my book
Old 12-12-2010, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Rs4 is more powerful, but heavier and less agile.

S4 can be fairly easily modded to RS4+ levels of power
Old 12-12-2010, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drove and considered both.

You can get a new S4 (with the options and colors your want) for about the same price as a late model used RS4. The RS4 seats and interiors are pretty plain and somewhat dated. The Navi and electronic interfaces are not nearly as well executed as they are in the new S4. The current S4 is nearly as quick with better gas mileage. There are also some expensive maintenance/repair items that seem to pop up on the RS4 since it is a bit exotic (for an Audi sedan).

The one thing I really loved about the RS4 is the exhaust growl. The V8 has an amazing sound!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carguyrob
I drove and considered both.

You can get a new S4 (with the options and colors your want) for about the same price as a late model used RS4. The RS4 seats and interiors are pretty plain and somewhat dated. The Navi and electronic interfaces are not nearly as well executed as they are in the new S4. The current S4 is nearly as quick with better gas mileage. There are also some expensive maintenance/repair items that seem to pop up on the RS4 since it is a bit exotic (for an Audi sedan).

The one thing I really loved about the RS4 is the exhaust growl. The V8 has an amazing sound!
SO the modification that possible is to add a MTM exhaust to have a nice noice plus more HP .....
Old 12-12-2010, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

for another perspective from the RS4 side, post a thread like this at link. http://forums.quattroworld.com/rs4b7/

Bruce
Old 12-12-2010, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you haven't watched this - it is a great comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkHnH2xs7wE

Cheers!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have seen that one. Not much of a comparison. Mutual admiration society.

They are both very nice cars though!

Bruce
Old 12-13-2010, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually considered this myself. I was looking at an 08 RS4 with 48,000 miles that was about $10,000 cheaper than a 2010 S4 with 3,600 miles. In the end I chose the S4 as it is my daily driver. However, if it was a weekend car I would have chose the RS4 as in love the flared panels, engine and beautiful exhaust note. If the RS4 had lower mileage it would have made the decision much closer.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

It will be a very tough decision... TRUST ME... no matter which way you go you will feel like maybe the other route would have been better.

Few reasons being:
-Exterior styling on RS4 to me makes it the most aggressive and sexy sedan on the road to date. It is timeless and you will always appreciate GMbh styling cues.

-Engine sound (stock)RS4 once again trumps the S4 on this the power is there and you hear that it is there all the time. It is nice to hear what you are harnessing under your feet.

-Electronics- B8 S4 trumps the RS4 here.. The new MMI and way it is interfaced with the controls especially with the NAV is thousands of times better than the RS4 dated electronics.

-Maitenance- B8 S4 wins here as well. While any /S or /RennSport Model from Audi will be a little pricey lets say compared to an A model the RS is exuberant on some of the normal wear and tear stuff. Brakes I hear are a very expensive job since they are shared with one of the most exotic cars in the world.

-CPO vs Brand New- This is what made the decision for me. I know someone buying a RennSport model of Audi is usually in the know of cars and didnt buy it to baby it. If you are lucky you find one that a person like me owned that took care of it and etc but then again if I had bought one brand new and things were the same financially I would never get rid of it unless it was becoming problematic and starting to have some issues or maitanence coming up that I didnt want to cover. Also here in NY i couldnt find a used one with a mileage I was comfortable with at a price lower than a brand new P+ S4.

Mod factor- B8 S4 has forced induction. Which in turn means that in the end it will have a much higher horsepower per dollar ratio than the all motor RS4.

Nimbleness-IMO I feel that the B8 S4 has superior handling and feel to it than the RS4 I know some may feel that it is blasphemy for me to say that but the RS4 feels heavier and clumsy at some extreme situations.

In the end I chose the S4 and I am extremely happy with my decision especially having the red/black recaro seats and all the extras etc. But everytime I meet up with an RS4 I cant help but admire the exterior lines and feel it is still the sexiest looking "stock/production" saloon on the street.

Price point and modernization of interior is what really made my decision in the end.

Happy buying!

Quick Reply: S4 2010 vs RS4 2008