S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vinlopic
How do you like the foam gun? I hear alot about it and I am very curious because I have never used one. I actually enjoy detailing my own car and if it will cut down the extended time I typically spend, I'll invest in one.

You just spray the car with suds and then wash with a wool mit?
It's great, (I actually got the dual bucket package with some extras), it has 6 settings to allow you to control how much foam it makes, and thus how much wash it uses. Very economical in use, it doesn't take anymore than I would use in the bucket, but puts it all on the car, rather than in the bucket and you get a paltry amount on the car.

The idea is that the subs encapsulate dirt then I use a one of their uber wash sponges to lightly wipe. After this, it's the uber firehose adapter to rinse.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I bought a slew from Phil a few weeks ago, it all came in and I have an awesome setup to dual bucket w/gritgard, foam gun, the works for my S4 now
With the foam gun, do you feel like you really use the dual bucket or would you be fine wiht just the rinse bucket?

Also, what kind of throw does the foam gun have? I have a limited area to wash in and I'm not looking to recreate a Cancun style spring break party (at least, not every weekend ).
Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also wanted to add that one of the most incredible systems for washing is the CR Spotless. I own the DIC-10 (costs 350 bucks)...it is not cheap by any means, but you will never have to dry your car again. Just wash using the normal method, and then rinse it down with the CR spotless. It uses de-ionized water, so it does not spot.

Not essential for an initial investment, but definitely something to think about down the line if you really start to get into detailing.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MattPec
With the foam gun, do you feel like you really use the dual bucket or would you be fine wiht just the rinse bucket?

Also, what kind of throw does the foam gun have? I have a limited area to wash in and I'm not looking to recreate a Cancun style spring break party (at least, not every weekend ).
I have the Gilmour Foamaster II Quart, and yes, I think you could easily use that and not need a wash bucket. Using the Adam's car wash I was able to add a touch of water to it (it's pretty thick stuff) at about a 1:3 ratio, and use the lowest setting to get plenty of suds. I used about 2/3 of an ounce of the wash and it was more than enough, I had some left over. The suds are not crazy, let's have a party and wade through a mountain of foam. They are easy to direct and cover the car, I wash mine in my driveway and it's all well contained. The throw is about 10-12 feet, and I have ~80-90PSI water pressure at my house.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

The foam gun is a great buy...I load mine up and use setting B...foam the whole car and use a bucket with some car wash in it just to make sure...Adams seems to be a good economical wash.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also use Meguiar's clay bar kit a couple times a year, followed by a good coat of wax. The clay bar works really well at getting a deep shine.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dgoesch
The clay bar works really well at getting a deep shine.
Well that def isn't because of the clay bar...all it does is pull off the imperfection on your paint.

OP--ALWAYS clay bar before any polishing/waxing is done
Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4.2Avant
Well that def isn't because of the clay bar...all it does is pull off the imperfection on your paint.

OP--ALWAYS clay bar before any polishing/waxing is done
I agree with claying before waxing. I was claying my car about two weeks ago. I tell ya, some of the reactions from friends I was getting were hysterical. They obviously didn't know anything about detailing and were horrified by what I was doing to my car. It was very difficult convincing them that it was not hurting my paint.