S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 disappointing Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
The gas mileage is very dependant on how you drive it.
I started tracking my mileage after the break in period. Averaged between 18.8 and 20.3 mpg driving pretty conservatively. Even saw 30 mpg on the trip computer after a 50 mile (mostly) highway drive.

Then decided that I didn't get this car to drive like a grandmother and got 15.8 mpg on my next tank. =)
Old 12-09-2010, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How fast were you going on that 50-mile freeway trip?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
How fast were you going on that 50-mile freeway trip?
Was going to say don't remember but just reminded that I took a picture because I was so shocked at the mpg I was getting.

It was actually 30.5 mpg on the trip computer for a 34.7 mile drive for 32 minutes which translates to an average of about 65 mph.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2010, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by IAS5
actually, you should be able to.

I get 28+ cruising at 75mph on longer trips. i usually have car in "comfort" mode on the ADS.

2010 Prestige, DSG, ADS "comfort," 7k miles on the clock, cruise set at 75...
See if I put it in cruise @ 75mph in comfort mode for the 15 highway miles home between germantown and bethesda md(loss of 200 ft in altitude). I won't get above 24 (based on the computer which is generous). Does the MT vs DSG and the 1k vs 7k miles on the clock make that big of a difference?

I definately understand that gas mileage is heavily dependent on how you drive and a myriad of other factors. But this seems well out of the norm. Is one S4 vs. another S4 going to show much variation in the MPG under identical conditions?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AgisA
MPG keeps improving through 10 K miles.
With manual transmission you can shift below 2K RPM to save gas.
Also use cruise on the highway.
You should be able to get around 27-28 mpg at 70 mph and at least 25 mpg at 80 with cruise offcourse and flat terrain.
Shifting below 2k is NOT the way to save gas. You're actually better to keep the engine between peak torque and peak HP and floor it until you get to cruising speed, then shift into 6th and set your cruise. Reasoning being is your engine is at its most efficient (generating the most force per unit of fuel) between peak torque and peak HP, with peak torque being the most efficient point on the curve.

Rowing through all the gears at moderate throttle is what will cost you MPG.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Damn, I usually cruise at 85-100MPH to and from work. If I do 65MPH on the autobahn I'll be an obstruction. I guess it's an A4 for me.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
Damn, I usually cruise at 85-100MPH to and from work. If I do 65MPH on the autobahn I'll be an obstruction. I guess it's an A4 for me.
I would LOVE to cruise at 85-100 mph to/from work and gladly give up the fuel economy. I was just telling my wife yesterday that I'm so happy with the S4's driving experience and just wish I could truly let her loose to her full potential... speed limits here prevent me from truly enjoying the driving experience as you're able to.

As for the 65 mph calculation, it was the average over that trip... I'm guessing I was doing 70-80 mph on the highway... but it probably helped a bit that a good portion of that was just cruising downhill.

And I don't think anyone chooses the S4 over an A4 solely for fuel economy. =)
Old 12-09-2010, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by agdavis
I've owned my manual 2011 S4 for about 3 weeks and have logged 1100 miles. I love the car, with my only complaint being the gas mileage. I've averaged 18.5 MPG in mostly light driving(ie light break-in) with at least 80/20 split highway to around town miles. Of course, I didn't buy the car solely on its 18/27 ranking, but it was a major item that put it ahead of the M3. They do use an ethanol blend around here, so I can forgive a couple of the MPG difference, but it still seems low. Does gas mileage get better over time as the engine breaks in? Does this have anything to do with cold weather driving, or most of the highway miles being 20 mile trips (engine isn't completely warm for most of them). What are other users experience with gas mileage in the S4?

Just hit 5000 miles and I am now into the low to mid 20's per tank with careful driving. That is not really very fun or how this car is meant to be driven. But even with spirited driving my worst tank was about 16mpg. For a car with this much power (and weight) it is extremely impressive.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

in a manual, under normal throttle conditions, the driver can shift under 2k rpms also...

As for the 6mt vs. the DSG, they're rated 1mpg diff between the two--you still should easily see >23 with a 6mt.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Need to take into account gear ratios

Originally Posted by helix139
Shifting below 2k is NOT the way to save gas. You're actually better to keep the engine between peak torque and peak HP and floor it until you get to cruising speed, then shift into 6th and set your cruise. Reasoning being is your engine is at its most efficient (generating the most force per unit of fuel) between peak torque and peak HP, with peak torque being the most efficient point on the curve.

Rowing through all the gears at moderate throttle is what will cost you MPG.
Sure at peak torque engine is most efficient at a fixed gear but to save gas you probably want to keep (torque)x(displacement) low which you can do by switching gears early. By the way the torque curve in the S4 is pretty good at 2K rpm. Also dont forget the DSG likes to shift below 2K rpm under normal load, probabaly for fuel economy.

Quick Reply: S4 disappointing Gas Mileage?