S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 disappointing Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asm777
I would LOVE to cruise at 85-100 mph to/from work and gladly give up the fuel economy. I was just telling my wife yesterday that I'm so happy with the S4's driving experience and just wish I could truly let her loose to her full potential... speed limits here prevent me from truly enjoying the driving experience as you're able to.

As for the 65 mph calculation, it was the average over that trip... I'm guessing I was doing 70-80 mph on the highway... but it probably helped a bit that a good portion of that was just cruising downhill.

And I don't think anyone chooses the S4 over an A4 solely for fuel economy. =)
Oh I agree, it's why I'm in an M3 instead of a 335. If I was stateside it would be a non-issue and I'd go S4 all the way. The problem here is fuel is rationed and once you go over your ration you're paying 1.55 Euro/ liter which equals $7.81 per gallon. It usually takes 55 liters (14.5 gallons) to fill up so on the economy I'm paying about $113 per tank. I do this every 3 or 4 days. One trip to Italy cost me about $700 in gas. No amount of fun makes up for doubling my car payment every month for gas. That's why I'm moving from my M3 to either a Mini or an A4. Both still more than enough fun but WORLDS better mileage so I can actually take it on trips and enjoy it.

When I get back Stateside I'll end up in an S4, or hopefully and RS4 Avant if the enthusiast crowd can do for that car what they did for the TTRS.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth. While I haven't done much driving in Comfort (I don't like the steering in that mode), I seem to get 1~2 mpg better on Dynamic than i do with Automatic. (this is with sports diff only. no drive select) ::shrug::
Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Was going to say don't remember but just reminded that I took a picture because I was so shocked at the mpg I was getting.

It was actually 30.5 mpg on the trip computer for a 34.7 mile drive for 32 minutes which translates to an average of about 65 mph.
If that was what you go by, then it's not accurate. It's been mentioned before that the computer is off...usually by a couple of MPG on the generous side. So for all those who are claiming high MPG numbers, are you calculating the MPG manually or just going by what the computer shows? Also IMO, showing one high MPG number on one short trip is meaningless. I go by each fill-up because it shows the average MPG.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AcBc
For what it's worth. While I haven't done much driving in Comfort (I don't like the steering in that mode), I seem to get 1~2 mpg better on Dynamic than i do with Automatic. (this is with sports diff only. no drive select) ::shrug::
You can always use the Individual mode, and set the steering to be Dynamic and everything else on comfort (or auto...whichever you prefer).
Old 12-10-2010, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

not probably... definitely.

to further support this, set your cruise at 70mph in top gear, and note the current mpg. then drop downshift a few gears (to get close to the peak torque rpm) while keeping cruise set at 70. Guess where mpg goes.

Volumtric efficiency is not the only variable in mileage. And BTW, volumetric effiency at torque peak refers to power output per unit of fuel, not fuel consumption. they are two different things.

My C6Z got 32mpg in a TALL 6th gear, WAY below it torque peak...
Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started tracking my mileage after the break in period. Averaged between 18.8 and 20.3 mpg driving pretty conservatively. Even saw 30 mpg on the trip computer after a 50 mile (mostly) highway drive.

Then decided that I didn't get this car to drive like a grandmother and got 15.8 mpg on my next tank. =)
Originally Posted by vwong
If that was what you go by, then it's not accurate. It's been mentioned before that the computer is off...usually by a couple of MPG on the generous side. So for all those who are claiming high MPG numbers, are you calculating the MPG manually or just going by what the computer shows? Also IMO, showing one high MPG number on one short trip is meaningless. I go by each fill-up because it shows the average MPG.
Sorry, should have been more clear. The 30 mpg comment is stated to have been from the trip computer while I omitted that I use Fuelly to track my mileage and "Averaged between 18.8 and 20.3 mpg driving pretty conservatively." The 15.8 mpg is also calculated not from the computer.

So saw 30.5 MPG once on the computer but best tank I've had (that I've tracked) is 20.3 mpg.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vwong
You can always use the Individual mode, and set the steering to be Dynamic and everything else on comfort (or auto...whichever you prefer).
i'm one of the few without Nav+. no individual setting for me.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

my calculations have been, at most 1mpg off. Trip computer last trip: 29.4, manual calc 28.5.

Cruise, 74mph, Comfort mode, 2010 DSG. 295 mile trip.

Steve
Old 12-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

man i get horrbile MPG. i drive 90% city in San Fran, and my last full tank was 180 miles. i think im averaging 12-14mpg. I dont really beat on the car that much only at times. Man this sucks because SF has the most expensive gas in the country. its $3.49 for 91
Old 12-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm impressed that one person's fuelly listing on this thread shows consistent numbers in the 24-25mpg range. I average around 19-20. That said, my wife takes it most days on trips less than 4 miles each way and the engine never heats up.

I noticed that if you have the mirror heaters, the rear defrost, and the seat heaters going that can be a major drain on the mileage (not a scientific test).

I have screwed around on the freeway at a constant speed, adjusting rpm from 1500-2000-2500-3000 etc by changing the gear and I saw very little change in fuel economy by choosing a different rpm. I figured the ECU was backing off the fuel rate as a increased the rpm under a constant load.

Quick Reply: S4 disappointing Gas Mileage?