S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4, good enough family car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4, good enough family car?

Well i have 3 kids: 13 yr old, 4yr old, 2yr old. I was wondering if any member use thier s4 as a family car? I really want one but question its practicality. We are also looking at A6, but like the s4 much more. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by exigejoe
Well i have 3 kids: 13 yr old, 4yr old, 2yr old. I was wondering if any member use thier s4 as a family car? I really want one but question its practicality. We are also looking at A6, but like the s4 much more. Thanks!

I have a 3yo and a 6mo and we get around just fine with space to spare in most cases. The only issue I would foresee is how to fit all 3 in the back with (i am assuming) 2 of them in booster seets. Not much room left in the back of mine with a booster and a convertible car seat.

We have taken 2 road trips with wife and kids and we filled the trunk to the brim, but we did not have to leave anything behind. We were also quote comfy, but more importantly I had fun driving!

Mike
Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well just one booster my 4 yr old is pretty tall for her age and doesnt require it anymore.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by exigejoe
4 year old needs a booster or better. 2 year old a definite seat. 13 year old can go in the front. Throw the wife out and your good.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My 4 year old who turns 5 in February is still in a 5 point harness seat.

I also have 3 kids...twins that just turned 2. If you are traveling with more than 2 of them and you have room behind the drivers seat then you are good to go. 3 kids at 2, thru 13 and this is not the right car. You either need a 3 row SUV or something that can fit 2 car seats plus a 13 year old in the second row. And I would argue that you need to separate them because they are going to be going at it especially the 13 year old who is probably stuck in the middle.

Check out the Q7.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 5 year old and a 7 year old in booster seats. I can't imagine sticking a 13 year old in between them for more than a short ride in the S4. That said, my S4 is our second car (my commuter) and I generally use it when it's just me and the kids. If this will be the case for you as well, then it would be just fine, as the 13 year old could go up front.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea i figured it would be a tight squeeze, thanks!
Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The middle seat area sits up higher than the sides, so the middle area is really only useful for smaller people. Three pre-teens without booster could probably fit. Sorry, not looking good for the S4 at this point in life.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by geektoad
That said, my S4 is our second car (my commuter) and I generally use it when it's just me and the kids. If this will be the case for you as well, then it would be just fine, as the 13 year old could go up front.
This point is spot-on: Count seats in your other car.

I was able to get by with a 2 kids and a 911 (2 useable seats). Granted, the other car was a minivan. Which is, I hate to break the news to you, a relative necessity in your case: An A8 with 3 young ones in back is going to be a disaster on a trip of any length, including to the neighborhood McDonald's.

If you already have a minivan, get the S4. If you don't, don't show this thread to your wife
Old 01-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have kids 6 & 8, and I take them to school every day. S4 works fine, but wife has a Pilot for general family use. Three would make the S4 tough.

Quick Reply: S4, good enough family car?