S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 to a GTR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That red GTR is sweet! Nice choice in wheels.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Coming from the R35 to the B8...

MB Rock, great looking gitter (GTR). Love those LMs, those are my favorite wheels on any car...ever. They look AMAZING. Seeing your beauty makes me miss mine..

Having come from a GTR myself, MB Rock is spot on with his observations of it as a daily driver. The suspension was not nearly compliant enough for justifying its use every single day, in and out. Especially having lived in Boston the Nissan felt, at times, as if it wanted to shake itself apart. That and, again only sometimes, the transmission would not be perfectly smooth rolling away from a stoplight. Again, this may have been a problem exclusive to my own.

MB is right, with a simple ECU flash you go from an already fast automobile to one that hauls ***...as fast as my C6 Z06 was from a roll. Not saying the Nissan is any slouch, but with a tune it opens it up to being a completely new, totally ridiculously fast road car.

When comparing the B8 S4 to the GTR, again there is no comparison. Apples to oranges could not be more true. One two door, the other four; one only comes in automatic, the other with auto or manual (a mighty big selling point for me). Not to mention the ride quality, when comparing the Nissan GTR to the B8 S4, the Audi seems like an S-class. One of the other gripes I had about the GTR, again maybe this was something particular to only my and my brother's cars, was the paint quality. For a 70k dollar automobile, I wanted a paint job that was better than the Sentra rental cars I got when I brought her in for service, but it wasnt. Every time you ever touched that Nissan, a scratch would show up. The driver's door looked so bad with all the marring and scratching that it looked like I would be drunk, in the dark, and with my keys in between my fingers when I went to open the door. Mind you, the thing had keyless entry so the key was always in my pocket. And the other thing I hated was the size of it. For a two seater (technically four, I know, but I am 6'4 and no one, NO ONE, could ride behind me without sacrificing blood loss to a limb) the GTR was just a pig. You could feel the heft pushing you into the corners, but it did wear the weight well.

I think this S4 is one of the easiest cars to drive that I've ever been in, considering sports cars of its performance caliber that is. It ain't no GTR, but then agian not much else is, and if it is comparable to a GTR you are giving up either refinement, performance, price, or something else. This Audi is just a great all-rounder that can go as fast as you really need to without getting into trouble with a four-door, and you can drive it anywhere because quattro is a godsend. Yes, M5s/E55s/E63s are awesome, but have you ever driven one in a downpour? How about a snowstorm?

Before having the GTR, and I loved every mile I put on that Nissan because it was sooo fast, all the time, I had owned a B7 RS4 for over two years. God, that car had character. And it sounded great to boot (had Milltek non-resonated catback exhaust). Received a lot of compliments and looks in that Audi. Considering you can flash a B8 S4 and put an intake on it and run with an RS4 is awesome. If you are to compare the B8 S4 to the B6/B7s with the V8 (I had a B6 also with dowpipes and back Milltek also) the B8 is completely, unquestionably superior. They just got everything right with this car, minus the stock exhaust noise, or lack thereof, hah. As much as I love the B8, it is hands down the most quiet and subdued sounding automobile I've ever owned, but that doesn't take away from its prowess. If anything, it makes it cooler considering you can haul that much *** and not sound like your going crazy.

Again, this is all just my own 2 cents, but not a day goes by that I don't think about and miss my GTR. But knowing how amazing this new S4 is and continues to be makes me more than satisfied with my switch to something that is FAR more practical for everyday life.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great post tbslow. That is exactly what I wanted to say but I'm too lazy to put such a nice post together.

Bottom line is if it's one or the other for daily duties, the S4 wins hands down. But.....if you can swing both then absolutely do it.

One more for GTR fans:
Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think MB rock said it.

My brother has one, and I've driven it a bit.
Fantastic performance but....
Very rough ride, and unpolished feel.
As for sound, he says when he drives at highway speed, it he can't tell if the windows are down or up!

If you were mainly interested in tracking it, it's the bomb.
But daily driver? Think hard about that one.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MB Rock
Great post tbslow. That is exactly what I wanted to say but I'm too lazy to put such a nice post together.

Bottom line is if it's one or the other for daily duties, the S4 wins hands down. But.....if you can swing both then absolutely do it.

One more for GTR fans:
That's badass nasty and a piece of art at the same time. :-O
Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks MB Rock...I appreciate the positive feedback on my posts. And I just noticed you have a Kleeman E55...again one of my favorite automobiles EVER. You have exquisite taste in cars, if I may say so. My brother had an E55 just before trading up for the M5, but then he reverted back to a CLS55 after experiencing problems with the Bimmer. Those kompressor motors are to die for...so your K3 must be an absolute monster! Was wondering where you were located, just because I'd love to see your AMG and GTR. I'd love to shoot the s*** about cars and whatnot anytime, maybe PM me if you don't feel comfrotable telling where you live, I understand.

Didn't mean to divert from OP, but after just taking a spin in the S4 in the cold Boston air I am more than content with this generation of S4. Audi continues to prove itself time and time again with their great engineering...truly vorsprung dur tecknik.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Autoblog said today the 2012 GTR officially hits 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/02/2...n-2-9-seconds/

I know you were looking at getting a used one, but looks like the upgrades for 2012 are substantial.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think it's a perfect track car AND daily driver. An R8, not so much. The GT-R has enthusiast appeal and will get some extra looks, but is not so outlandish that you make a freaking scene everywhere you go. You could blend in.

I'm not sure if you price estimates are right. And you might get killed on resale if you put serious mileage on it.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

TBslow, like most here I appreciate all performance cars regardless of their badge. I stop by this forum now and then because at one point I seriously considered switching my RS4 for a B8 S4.
I ultimately decided against it but I am still a huge fan of the S4.

The Kleemann E55 is also my favorite car and that is why I have kept it, although I'm tempted to change it out when the new 2012 CLS63 TT AMG arrives. I need to start saving up.

A final pic:

Old 12-03-2010, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MB Rock
TBslow, like most here I appreciate all performance cars regardless of their badge. I stop by this forum now and then because at one point I seriously considered switching my RS4 for a B8 S4.
I ultimately decided against it but I am still a huge fan of the S4.

The Kleemann E55 is also my favorite car and that is why I have kept it, although I'm tempted to change it out when the new 2012 CLS63 TT AMG arrives. I need to start saving up.

A final pic:

Nice Rides.

I still don't thing I would drive a GTR as a daily driver. If I can pull the money together, I would get a GTR as a second car though.

Quick Reply: S4 to a GTR?