S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 has no roof rack mounts (no big deal)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 has no roof rack mounts (no big deal)

You can learn a lot about your car from waxing it. Spending 3-4 hours pouring over every panel of the car 2-3x gives you a good road map. I noticed there is no rail on the roof like my 325i had. This is not a big deal for me because I don't use this car for sports, but I thought I'd point it out to potential buyers who may overlook it. Other things I noticed:

* There's a shark fin on the roof (presumably for satellite radio)
* The front bumper cover has hardly any paint; it's mostly air openings. This is good because I had to get the soft front end of the BMW painted twice in 5 years to keep it looking good. Shouldn't be a problem here
* The rear bumper cover feels really cheap and bendable around the wheel well. You can push in on it and nothing is behind it to stabilize it.
* The rocker panels on this car are awesome. I like the way they are shaped. Really aggressive and flared out. Ditto for the splitters below the fog lamps up front. Really a cool shaped piece.
* The trunk lip is more aggressive then it looks.
* In contrast to the facelifted BMW sedan, the Audi hood retains a flat, elegant look instead of creased.
* The aluminum trim around the fog lights is cool. I can't tell if the mirrors and splitters on the bumpers are real aluminum (for detailing purposes) or a high end plastic.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
You can learn a lot about your car from waxing it. Spending 3-4 hours pouring over every panel of the car 2-3x gives you a good road map. I noticed there is no rail on the roof like my 325i had. This is not a big deal for me because I don't use this car for sports, but I thought I'd point it out to potential buyers who may overlook it. Other things I noticed:

* There's a shark fin on the roof (presumably for satellite radio)
* The front bumper cover has hardly any paint; it's mostly air openings. This is good because I had to get the soft front end of the BMW painted twice in 5 years to keep it looking good. Shouldn't be a problem here
* The rear bumper cover feels really cheap and bendable around the wheel well. You can push in on it and nothing is behind it to stabilize it.
* The rocker panels on this car are awesome. I like the way they are shaped. Really aggressive and flared out. Ditto for the splitters below the fog lamps up front. Really a cool shaped piece.
* The trunk lip is more aggressive then it looks.
* In contrast to the facelifted BMW sedan, the Audi hood retains a flat, elegant look instead of creased.
* The aluminum trim around the fog lights is cool. I can't tell if the mirrors and splitters on the bumpers are real aluminum (for detailing purposes) or a high end plastic.
It does have roof rack attachment points. you might notsee them while waxing but open the doors and you will notice a hole along the roof and a pin from the rack goes in each one to line up the rack. I have mine on now with bike attachments and they work great.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mitche2010s4
I have mine on now with bike attachments and they work great.
Can you please post pics! I'd love to see some bikes on top of a B8 S4.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry, I stand corrected. I have no idea where this thing would mount. Does it affect the door seal?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DavidSilverS4
Can you please post pics! I'd love to see some bikes on top of a B8 S4.
here some are. not great photo's but you can see how it looks.
Attached Images    
Old 06-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
Sorry, I stand corrected. I have no idea where this thing would mount. Does it affect the door seal?
as far as the oem audi rack is concerned it is a pretty slick setup. any part that touches the car is protected well with soft rubber and the door seal isn't effected.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mitche2010s4
here some are. not great photo's but you can see how it looks.
Nice Volvo loaders.

I have the Volvo load bars for my V70R and they are similar. Totally stealth setup, awesome, glad Audi has a similar system.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Nice Volvo loaders.

I have the Volvo load bars for my V70R and they are similar. Totally stealth setup, awesome, glad Audi has a similar system.
yeah. they're just re-badged thule bike attachments from volvo.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks good. Thanks for posting the pics!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i like seeing 'hot' cars with bikes attached. i ride an e39 m5 with the factory rack. it sounds like the bmw solution is a better one, in that the bmw has attachment points within the roof. you just flip up small covers and the factory (or thule bmw specific) rack bolts right in. the rack literally doesn't touch the roof anywhere. i will miss that when i get rid of the m5, but the audi solution looks pretty slick as well.