S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 Owners in Florida please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orderedanalog
Do these guys know about the amp bagging for back rear quarters window? I read somewhere else Audi won't warranty the amp if you have tint...
I dont know what you mean by "amp bagging" Does this have something to do with the sound sys amplifier? I can call Juan and discuss

I will say that this doenst sound right. I bought my S4 from Braman in WEST PALM and before delivery, they were trying to offer me to tint the car before I tood delivery. They use a place in del ray.

Also, Magnuson-Moss Act comes to mind when a manufacturer tries to void part of a warranty just because a car has tint on it
Old 04-01-2011, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amp bagging is not for the rear quarter windows. It's for the back window. Water used to tint the back window can run down the C-pillars into the trunk and end up shorting the B&O Amp, in which case the replacement cost will be on you. Just have them pack the amp with towels and you'll be fine.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by helix139
The amp bagging is not for the rear quarter windows. It's for the back window. Water used to tint the back window can run down the C-pillars into the trunk and end up shorting the B&O Amp, in which case the replacement cost will be on you. Just have them pack the amp with towels and you'll be fine.
oh, so this is something that can happen only during the tinting process?

I will print this out and bring it with me when I tint the car so the guys know. I suppose orderanalog should also mention it if he decides to tint the car the same place I am doing mine
Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 PM
riu
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really not into it for the look even though it does make the car look a little sleeker. The car I have is black inside and out. But I am looking to keep the heat out while I am in the car. I want a look thats legal and still appealing to the eye but gets the job done.

I went to Tint World in Pompano Beach and they have 3 differant kinds. They have their own brand they sell and they wanted 229 for the car without windsheild. They wanted 100 more for that. They have two different types of 3M tints. The first they wanted like $400 and the other which is called crystalline or something, they wanted $500 for the whole car.

It seems expensive to me. I spoke to a friend who said some tints have metals in them that can mess with navigation and all that.. So I am just looking for someone to steer me in the right direction about where to go and what to ask for.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for the tip helix139. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna tint, but no way I'm paying $500. I haven't tinted a car in years because I've been leasing now for 8 years, but I'm buying the S4, so I figure the tint is more worth the cost then (esp in SFL!)

Man this last week of wait is killing me! It hit the port earlier this week, should take delivery next weekend....
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by riu
I am really not into it for the look even though it does make the car look a little sleeker. The car I have is black inside and out. But I am looking to keep the heat out while I am in the car. I want a look thats legal and still appealing to the eye but gets the job done.

I went to Tint World in Pompano Beach and they have 3 differant kinds. They have their own brand they sell and they wanted 229 for the car without windsheild. They wanted 100 more for that. They have two different types of 3M tints. The first they wanted like $400 and the other which is called crystalline or something, they wanted $500 for the whole car.

It seems expensive to me. I spoke to a friend who said some tints have metals in them that can mess with navigation and all that.. So I am just looking for someone to steer me in the right direction about where to go and what to ask for.

Thanks.
I have 15% on the rear and sides. Its legal everywhere but the driver and passenger front window. I had the same on my last car and I haven't had problems with cops. When I'm pulled over I roll down both windows as a courtesy to the officer before he's even out of the car anyways.

As far as type of tint, no tint is going to mess with your nav, regardless of if it's metallic. That's a load of crap that shops use to sell higher priced ceramic tint. Ceramic is supposed to be a little better but there are only a couple of true ceramic tints, IIRC, but they are more expensive. It also has a blue-ish tint, I believe. 3M crystalline is a great tint but also more expensive and doesn't come in 15%. It's also not supposed to be applied to your windshield. I just went with the basic tint my shop offered, and it cost me around $350 I believe. I don't remember exactly what brand, I want to say Lumar, but it's quality stuff either way.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thx for the tip helix139. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna tint, but no way I'm paying $500. I haven't tinted a car in years because I've been leasing now for 8 years, but I'm buying the S4, so I figure the tint is more worth the cost then (esp in SFL!)

Man this last week of wait is killing me! It hit the port earlier this week, should take delivery next weekend....
Definitely get the tint! I don't know how anyone in Florida doesn't tint. The benefits in heat reduction alone are definitely worth it.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by riu

Thanks.
those are ridiculous prices but then agan, thats 3m for ya. Tint alloys can indeed intefere with radio reception, cell phone etc. I am not sure to what extent. it may be insignificant or may be significant. Back in the early 90's I used lumar but I honestly do not recall if i had any am radio reception issues. I could have but just dont remember

Since the late 90's I have been using Forumla One's top product (5 cars) and have never had any electronic interference. I have been using the same tint shop. Formula One is now owned by Lumar unfortnately but its still a good tint. You should be able to get formula one's top product installed from anywhere between $250-$350. It depends on you car

http://www.formulaone.com/en/pinnacle.aspx

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 04-04-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you need tint in South fl. There is a huge diff as far as heat goes. I can tell everytime i have had to get a loaner that has been sitting in the hot FL sun.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

just started a thread. I may be having audio issues and I havent even tinted it yet. I am hoping I hit mute button and then then wasnt turning up the vol enough but I doubt it. But I couldnt get audio out of radio this morning - again, car not even tinted yet. This will be interesting