S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 v TTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going from a TT to an S4 (when and if it arrives...lol).

I LOVE the TT. I have had zero issues to complain about. It has plenty of cargo room, love the magnetic suspension, handling is great, love the simple but quality interior - a true sportscar blend with class and elegance with all functionality easy and usable - not over electronic or complicated, just a joy and everyone compliments it.

When I quickly test drove the S4 It honestly felt like a boat.

If the TT-RS came with the stronic transmission here in the USA I would probably be buying one.

That being said - there was no real TT option for me to go into that brought anything added to the table. The S4 brings a great combination of power, performance and luxury. I do not need the cargo or passenger space either but it will be nice. The S4 has the all time AWD and seemed like a perfect balance for me.

I bought my TT without even driving one - but there was no S4 at the time so in your case i probably would recommend trying to test drive both. I am sure you will be happy either way - but they are truly two different cars with very different advantages and disadvantages.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kandiru
Are there many 6'3" guys driving TTs out there? Reason is i sat in one in 2000 and i had to bend my neck, no way i could put it in the safe "forward-seating" position. Have things improved in the way of headroom since then?

TTRS one bat out of Hungarian Hell, the first RS car made outside of Neckarsulm. If i were a platform shoe single guy i would definitely spring for one.
Did you have the seat as low as it would go? I'm 6'1" and used to own a 2001 TT...had plenty of headroom (several inches at least).
Old 06-24-2011, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrizzTT
Did you have the seat as low as it would go? I'm 6'1" and used to own a 2001 TT...had plenty of headroom (several inches at least).
Yep, those 2-3 inches are the deal breaker.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, TT being a girlie car...hmmm...the car is named after female anatomy, you know...
Old 06-25-2011, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts

I drove the TTS & S4 B8, both DSG, on the Infineon track for the Audi Experience. The TTS felt better on the autocross testing, but the S4 felt better around the track at speed. It is amazing how well the S4 gets around the track. For some reason, the general feel of the TTS just felt like an older & cheaper car. ... And the R8 feels more at home around the track, than the S4.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brandonb
That's remarkably close for a car that weighs 4000 lbs vs one that weighs 3250 lbs. A 700+ lbs weight advantage equals a huge amount of horsepower.
STOCK the S4 makes about 360 hp and the TTS makes 100 less. You forget that part? There's also a 100 tq disadvantage. You also didn't mention that HP to weight the S4 has an advantage (11.1 lbs of curb weight per hp vs. 12.2 for the TTS). I'm still unsure how this (being slower) is an accomplishment for the B8 S4.

They weigh what they weigh, and the TTS is marginally hotter on a track. It's simple.

Chip that S4 and I'd be willing to bet it would be at 3:08.4 or better, too.
Sorry...I think you meant to say

'chip the S4 for $1500 and then chip the TTS for $599 and the TTS is still better off.'

I mean why chip the S4 but not the TTS (for less than half the price)? The TTS picks up about 60 hp PEAK and 40 tq PEAK, and the curves get much deeper, vs. the B8 S4 tune that is nothing but a boost limiter remover above 5000 rpm (thus doing nothing to the curve before it). The tuned B8 is an awesome beast, but come on dude...I think you're missing the whole other side of the story here.

The TTS might be more nimble going into a corner, but the power that a S4 can put down coming out of a corner is awe inspiring.
power to weight is simple...and it sounds like you haven't driven too many medium to high hp cars. My dictionary has pictures of other things under 'awe inspiring'...certainly not a picture of a car that makes 1hp per 11 lbs of curb weight!

Last edited by sakimano; 06-25-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakimano
STOCK the S4 makes about 360 hp and the TTS makes 100 less. You forget that part? There's also a 100 tq disadvantage. You also didn't mention that HP to weight the S4 has an advantage (11.1 lbs of curb weight per hp vs. 12.2 for the TTS). I'm still unsure how this (being slower) is an accomplishment for the B8 S4.

They weigh what they weigh, and the TTS is marginally hotter on a track. It's simple.
Dude. 750lbs is HUGE and equal hp:weight here ain't the answer.

Take a 4000lbs car with 400hp and a 2000lbs car with 200hp. Both have the same horsepower to weight ratio. Will they both make it around a track in equal times? No, they won't. While they both can accelerate out of a turn equally, the lighter car can brake later into each turn and carry more speed through each turn. It will be faster. Considerably faster.

The fact that the S4 puts down comparable track times to a TTS, despite the S4's substantial weight disadvantage and equal hp:weight, is a testament to the S4's handling and weight balance. That's my point. Are you disputing that?

'chip the S4 for $1500 and then chip the TTS for $599 and the TTS is still better off.'
Fair point. Gotta love these forced induction cars!

power to weight is simple...and it sounds like you haven't driven too many medium to high hp cars. My dictionary has pictures of other things under 'awe inspiring'...certainly not a picture of a car that makes 1hp per 11 lbs of curb weight!
I think you missed my point. What I was saying is awesome is the S4's ability to put down all its power <b>coming out of a corner</b>. I think there are very few cars at this price point that can compare in that regard. Again, testament to the B8 S4's handling, weight balance, and sports differential. You really should try it sometime.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

Dude. 750lbs is HUGE and equal hp:weight here ain't the answer.

Take a 4000lbs car with 400hp and a 2000lbs car with 200hp. Both have the same horsepower to weight ratio. Will they both make it around a track in equal times? No, they won't. While they both can accelerate out of a turn equally, the lighter car can brake later into each turn and carry more speed through each turn. It will be faster. Considerably faster.

The fact that the S4 puts down comparable track times to a TTS, despite the S4's substantial weight disadvantage and equal hp:weight, is a testament to the S4's handling and weight balance. That's my point. Are you disputing that?

Fair point. Gotta love these forced induction cars!

I think you missed my point. What I was saying is awesome is the S4's ability to put down all its power <b>coming out of a corner</b>. I think there are very few cars at this price point that can compare in that regard. Again, testament to the B8 S4's handling, weight balance, and sports differential. You really should try it sometime.
true, but I was trying to compare the TTS and the S4, not a car with half the power and half the weight. Might be a bit of an exaggeration. Further, it all depends on the track. Top Gear's track is a great example. Bigger, heavier high hp cars do really well out there vs. smaller cars even if there's a reasonably close hp/weight ratio. It's certainly not as cut and dry as to say that the lightest car is the fastest around a track for a given hp/weight ratio. I'd love a 525 AMG bahnstormer on the top gear track vs. a Lotus Exige or something. VIR has a couple of massive straightaways where high HP cars really eat up the track.

as for the S4 and how I should try it, I bet you a Coke I've driven more B8 S4s than you. MT6, DSG, Sport Diff, no DSG, no SD, etc. I'm not new to Audis lol.

As for the B8's excellence, you don't have to sell me on the car...I've 'sold' it to a few friends and colleagues (recommended it). It's a great car.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by primetime
Sak, Has pricing been released? If so can you link me too it? thanks Ron
Old 06-25-2011, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Go with the S4. You get an Audi exclusive engine and chassis. Something doesn't sit right with me and the TT's platform. I never liked the way it drove. The S4 is one of the most solid cars I've ever driven.

Quick Reply: S4 v TTS