S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 vag com, boston

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 vag com, boston

I have had my S4 for 2 months now and am getting a bit of the mod itch, i am coming from a mustang so no stranger that world, but not familiar as much with the system mods.

Can anyone recommend a place in boston area to have a few vagcom changes made. I am not really looking to do a ton at least to start... adding the gear displayed in auto modes, the afterwipe delete, and the remote windows down/sunroof open, disabling the wink

Can my dealer do those as they do not counter any DOT regs?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of what you want to do would be no issue. The wink seems to be something to do with the automotive industry with manufacturing cars in, or importing cars into, the US based on a prior thread. As far as I know, it is not illegal to remove the wink. I've actually changed settings so that my LEDs only dim when in parking light mode but the wink still exists if driving in DRL only mode (with LEDs set as DRLs which is the default in the US I believe). One change that is illegal in our state I think is the Video In Motion (VIM) one which allows you to play a DVD on-screen while at speed. Normally, the screen blanks out at 5 MPH or something like that. I enabled the VIM for kicks but really don't use it much at all.

Some members have posted that their dealers made some changes for free for them, so you can try that route. If you have the code info and don't ask for much, you may get help there. If not, there are some members in the Boston/Cambridge area who may be able to help out. You can try posting to the General Automotive/VAG COM forum or the Regional forum. The cables aren't too expensive though, and members can walk you through the settings you want pretty easily. Good to have a cable too if you ever need to scan an error code. I'm willing to help with my cable also if you're up for a trip to the 'burbs when it's dry out--easier to set up a laptop outside the car IMO. I've made all the changes you listed--easy stuff. Hope you're enjoying the car!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
Most of what you want to do would be no issue. The wink seems to be something to do with the automotive industry with manufacturing cars in, or importing cars into, the US based on a prior thread. As far as I know, it is not illegal to remove the wink. I've actually changed settings so that my LEDs only dim when in parking light mode but the wink still exists if driving in DRL only mode (with LEDs set as DRLs which is the default in the US I believe). One change that is illegal in our state I think is the Video In Motion (VIM) one which allows you to play a DVD on-screen while at speed. Normally, the screen blanks out at 5 MPH or something like that. I enabled the VIM for kicks but really don't use it much at all.

Some members have posted that their dealers made some changes for free for them, so you can try that route. If you have the code info and don't ask for much, you may get help there. If not, there are some members in the Boston/Cambridge area who may be able to help out. You can try posting to the General Automotive/VAG COM forum or the Regional forum. The cables aren't too expensive though, and members can walk you through the settings you want pretty easily. Good to have a cable too if you ever need to scan an error code. I'm willing to help with my cable also if you're up for a trip to the 'burbs when it's dry out--easier to set up a laptop outside the car IMO. I've made all the changes you listed--easy stuff. Hope you're enjoying the car!
I was looking at getting the cable from Ross-tech and if you look at the added value the cost is well worth it. I was wondering if there are step by step guides for some of the typical changes made on the B8 platform. As much as I enjoy getting my hands dirty and trying new things I'd like to ensure I'm not messing anything up via trial and error.

Were there any resources you used when doing your windows, wink, vim, etc?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree that the cable is worth owning for any failures that occur plus tweaking settings. You can log some values as well if you get into drag strips and such but I don't know anything about that (maybe someday). I learned the easy stuff through this forum and also over at AZ by reading through the B8 A4 Tech sticky for 'cool vag com'. For those who just want to do one or two things, I can see why it is easier to just link up with someone for help.

Here's the link to most of the common tweaks:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-complete-list

The biggest advice is to run a full auto-scan first to check for any current issues and also save the current values before making changes. Many of the changes involve dropdown boxes or checkboxes which are really easy. There are some changes that require you to change a bit within a byte. For those, it is really important to count the bits from the RIGHT to the LEFT. The rightmost bit is 0, then 1, 2 etc all the way to the leftmost bit which is 7 (8 bits in a byte). You can thank engineers and programmers for not numbering left to right and for starting with 0. I'm happy to help walk users through some changes, just let me know. I can also help out in person here and there but I'd need some notice as I'm juggling grad school on top of work and other stuff.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
I agree that the cable is worth owning for any failures that occur plus tweaking settings. You can log some values as well if you get into drag strips and such but I don't know anything about that (maybe someday). I learned the easy stuff through this forum and also over at AZ by reading through the B8 A4 Tech sticky for 'cool vag com'. For those who just want to do one or two things, I can see why it is easier to just link up with someone for help.

Here's the link to most of the common tweaks:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-complete-list

The biggest advice is to run a full auto-scan first to check for any current issues and also save the current values before making changes. Many of the changes involve dropdown boxes or checkboxes which are really easy. There are some changes that require you to change a bit within a byte. For those, it is really important to count the bits from the RIGHT to the LEFT. The rightmost bit is 0, then 1, 2 etc all the way to the leftmost bit which is 7 (8 bits in a byte). You can thank engineers and programmers for not numbering left to right and for starting with 0. I'm happy to help walk users through some changes, just let me know. I can also help out in person here and there but I'd need some notice as I'm juggling grad school on top of work and other stuff.
Thanks for the link and the advice =) I'm happy there is a way to backup the settings. I was actually wondering that. The numbering sounds like a typical array in UNIX/Linux and in programming =) Thanks again!!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The one thing I don't know well is how to revert back from a change using 'long coding' if you don't keep good notes and must rely on the full auto-scan from the start. I print out the changes I want and am very careful to change only what I am going after and nothing else, double-check, and then submit the change. It is a good idea to only make one or two changes at a time and verify they work before making more. If you get a cable and want a lifeline standing by, PM me in advance. It's really easier than it seems, at least for the basic stuff.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

@zulujams Thank you so much, truly do appreciate it =) Did you purchase your cable from Ross-tech as well? I know there are cheaper versions out there.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Pulled the trigger and purchased the Ross-tech cable for my car.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ross-tech is the only cable out there worth buying in my opinion. Based on comments, some of the knock-offs have been able to do some things, but Ross-tech is doing all the R&D and provides full support. You made the right choice! You bought HEX+CAN correct? Let me know when you have it and have the software loaded. I'll be happy to help.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks again =)
I typed in my VIN and selected the cable from there. Figured its better to be safe than sorry. I'm so excited...

Lets see how happy my wife will be LOL..

Quick Reply: S4 vag com, boston