S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 or X5? I know its a S4 forum but

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
besides - the X5 with run-flats doesn't have a spare tire (so you're kinda screwed if you get a flat)
We got the space saver spare option for $150 with our run-flats.

I hope we never need to use it.

Bob-
Old 02-25-2011, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I like X5's... nice rigs. I just priced out out... yikes! Gets expensive fast... at least the one I wanted.

The ML line has a new v6 hybrid... that might be worth a look. An X5d would be my choice.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
The ML line has a new v6 hybrid... that might be worth a look.
The ML's look great...but the suspension..not so good.

I think the hybrid is lease only...
Old 02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
I like X5's... nice rigs. I just priced out out... yikes! Gets expensive fast... at least the one I wanted.

The ML line has a new v6 hybrid... that might be worth a look. An X5d would be my choice.
Yeah, they do expensive fast. Optioned the way I want, even with getting a creaming deal is going to be pushing my top end.

I am not a huge fan of Audi's option structure but absolutely hate BMW's. Price difference of $30K if you start with X5d and load it up. That's not right IMO.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have an S4, and my husband an X5. The X5 is an awesome SUV. If I switched to an SUV, I would absolutely get that over a Q7.

I have a weimaraner...he rides comfortably in the car (cover the seats!)

The only time I wish I had an SUV is sometimes it's kind of a pain getting my 4 year old in and out of her car seat...and she doesn't have a ton of leg room back there. Once she is out of the car seat it won't be a problem, but I have to move my seat up closer than I would like when she is back there (sitting in the middle for safety).

The car gets around great in the snow up to about 6 inches. If there is more than that, the car is too low to the ground to make it through.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What about a Cayenne?
Old 02-26-2011, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Smoltz2006
What about a Cayenne?
I drove a cayenne too before deciding on my S4. Those are really like a sports car in an SUV package...very nice! One thing that held me back from the cayenne is that there are no crash test results anywhere. I have family in law enforcement, and good crash tests are essential. If anyone finds any, let me know...I'd be interested to see them!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOJOBUG
One thing that held me back from the cayenne is that there are no crash test results anywhere. I have family in law enforcement, and good crash tests are essential. If anyone finds any, let me know...I'd be interested to see them!
The first generation Cayenne is based on the same platform as the Audi Q7 and VW Touareg, so crash ratings should be comparable. The new second generation (MY 2011+) is as well, though the others aren't out yet so there's no data.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=645
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=718

Again though, wouldn't an X3 be the better comparison than the X5? The X3 and S4 both weigh about the same - 4000 lbs vs the X5 at 5000 lbs, and the X3 feels more like a car than the X5.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I do think the X3 would be a better direct comparison to the S4 than the X5. Though neither is really a good comparison. I want both but can affrod only one.As with a lot of things in my life, my choices are based on other factors than the most direct comparison I happen to think the X5 looks way better than the X3. Also, if I get the S4 it will be purely for the driving experience/fun factor. If I end up going X5, the more practical side is coming out. The added space is a +. I would get the diesel in hopes of keeping it for 10 years if the BMW electrical gremlins I have read so much about are able to keep themselves at bay.

I am leaning towards S4 and actually had one with a deposit on it until last week. I pulled it do to the two tone interior and chocolate lab. I finally came to the conclusion that with all the hiking I do with my dog, I would end up doing way more cleaning of the silver alcantara than I wanted too.

I am searching for an all black interior.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

The X3 has no interesting engines available...So it's a turn off...

Quick Reply: S4 or X5? I know its a S4 forum but