S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4's in China?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4's in China?

Just returned from a couple of weeks in Beijing and Shanghai and was amazed by the number of Audis I saw there. You see a few MB's and BMW's but the A4's, A6's and A8's far outnumber them. Many are in a stretched "L" bodystyle that appears to be a few inches longer than the same models in the US.

However, I only saw a few A5's and no S4/S5's or RS models in either city. Based on the article below, I don't think the S4 is available there, interesting in that China has surpassed Germany as Audi's largest market. All in all, an interesting experience...

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchin...t_11189349.htm

John
Old 08-28-2010, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi has been assigned as gov car brand since many years ago, those L cars are china-assembled and specially "designed" for china market. Most of the Taxi's in Shanghai are VW assembled in China. ^^
Old 08-28-2010, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just returned from two weeks in Taiwan (aka the Republic of China) with a few days in Japan, and saw just the opposite...almost no Audis. Just a few A3s, one A5, one new A4, that's about it in the entire two weeks. Speaking with two different friends who live in Taiwan, they said that a B8 S4 costs $100k in US$.

In contrast, the Japanese brands seem to sell for roughly the equivalent for what they go for in the US, with only a few thousand dollar markup (for example, a Nissan Teana (aka US Nissan Maxima) starts at US$26k with a smaller engine, and the Honda Fit is US$20k). The current "hot" luxury car in Taiwan seems to be the Lexus LS. There were plenty of them on the roads.

Not exactly sure why Audis are so expensive in Taiwan, although I did read that Audi just recently officially started their own dealer network there (in 2008?), after years and years of independent dealerships importing Audis on their own. Also not sure about the prices on other German brands in Taiwan, pricing info on Taiwanese car websites is virtually non-existant.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilH
I just returned from two weeks in Taiwan (aka the Republic of China) with a few days in Japan, and saw just the opposite...almost no Audis. Just a few A3s, one A5, one new A4, that's about it in the entire two weeks. Speaking with two different friends who live in Taiwan, they said that a B8 S4 costs $100k in US$.

In contrast, the Japanese brands seem to sell for roughly the equivalent for what they go for in the US, with only a few thousand dollar markup (for example, a Nissan Teana (aka US Nissan Maxima) starts at US$26k with a smaller engine, and the Honda Fit is US$20k). The current "hot" luxury car in Taiwan seems to be the Lexus LS. There were plenty of them on the roads.

Not exactly sure why Audis are so expensive in Taiwan, although I did read that Audi just recently officially started their own dealer network there (in 2008?), after years and years of independent dealerships importing Audis on their own. Also not sure about the prices on other German brands in Taiwan, pricing info on Taiwanese car websites is virtually non-existant.
Try $225,000.00 for an S4 in Taiwan. In Australia the S4 is $115,000.00, they are cheap here.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
Try $225,000.00 for an S4 in Taiwan. In Australia the S4 is $115,000.00, they are cheap here.
$225K in Taiwan....PhilH noted $100K for S4 B8. Might you by any chance mean Singapore? I know car prices there are in the clouds [..... which US$225K clearly is, for a S4. Even a Camry costs near US$90K there as I understand , though I that's 2nd hand info coming to me]

Last edited by S4Tokyo; 08-29-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bimmers2
Audi has been assigned as gov car brand since many years ago, those L cars are china-assembled and specially "designed" for china market. Most of the Taxi's in Shanghai are VW assembled in China. ^^
I understand. But why no S-line models there? It seemed that a relatively high percentage of the MB's I saw there were AMG models so the demand obviously exists for a performance option...

John
Old 08-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

S4 in Taiwan is about NT$3,600,000 (tax included), which is about US$112,000. If we assume 9% US tax, the selling price or MSRP (with options) is about US$102,000.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jzirkel
I understand. But why no S-line models there? It seemed that a relatively high percentage of the MB's I saw there were AMG models so the demand obviously exists for a performance option...

John
Selling activity itself is probably the least of concerns at this time i.e. for sure some sales would accrue but how much / how many S models? My guess is that it's cost of servicability & to some extent Homologation approval for small volume sales model.

Although a dominant luxury OEM in China, (it's not that many cars, 400K/year) Audi don't have the 'adequate' network of tech mechanics to service S4 / S series cars nationally - the cost to do so may be prohibitive 'at this time'. ALSO the cost to stock and service spare parts etc., for small volume is a lesser factor I guess. It can be argued well what do RR do, Bentley, etc, but those guys have no choice 'and' they sell at much higher premium;-) My guess is that it's all about bang for the buck and Audi already have a good sales base using other product line (as well noted). There are no doubt several major obstacles I am sure, ...just throwing out couple that I could think of off hand....even the requirement for a national net work of garages that can provide hi-ictane gasoline garages 'could be' a hinderance to nation wide sales - a guess only, I don't know this as fact (but have been to China several times and image is that in country areas such demand for hi-oc is not widespread).

Wandered a bit OT to B8 forum, but FWIW;-)

Last edited by S4Tokyo; 08-31-2010 at 03:51 PM.