S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Scary ESP Moment

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgdA4
I've experienced this too. I've floored it when turning into traffic and the car just goes dead for 2 seconds. Pretty scary. In practicality I think this safety feature is actually a hazard at times, leaving you a sitting duck to get hit. I would much prefer a little skid than no power at all.

PS. It's funny, I just had to read the title of this post and I already knew the scenario that he was going to describe.
Exactly.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Uneven pavement may have contributed to the problem.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't ESP more concerned with controlling getting sideways, and ASR more concerned with controlling wheelspin?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2771946
Old 12-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issue..but i thought it was due to the s-tronic...Audi said that it was a "learning" transmission and could not replicate the hesitation i felt when crossing a highway. The car just stalled and left me in limbo. Hopefully it will get better.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The lag sounds kind of like an auto transmission issue to me. If you did see an ESP light, I disagree the system screwed you up. I took my S4 to the track and did not notice any ESP interference during the entire weekend, even during high G-force maneuvers. It may have clicked on once, but it was my fault for not being smooth in one section.

If your ESP is lighting up it's because you're doing something wrong. Check first to make sure you tires are not over inflated - that would reduce grip a lot. Second, you should be very smooth getting on the gas. If you're jamming the pedal you're being too abrupt with the weight transfer and upsetting the chassis - you're putting yourself in a low-grip situation.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
The lag sounds kind of like an auto transmission issue to me. If you did see an ESP light, I disagree the system screwed you up. I took my S4 to the track and did not notice any ESP interference during the entire weekend, even during high G-force maneuvers. It may have clicked on once, but it was my fault for not being smooth in one section.

If your ESP is lighting up it's because you're doing something wrong. Check first to make sure you tires are not over inflated - that would reduce grip a lot. Second, you should be very smooth getting on the gas. If you're jamming the pedal you're being too abrupt with the weight transfer and upsetting the chassis - you're putting yourself in a low-grip situation.
I can and will do as you described with the gas but I did not expect the ESP to react the way it does. Regarding tire pressure, my tires did not spin much at all so I am not sure that will help but I can give it a try. Also my car tested OK on everything according to my mechanic.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Say...this is probably too obvious, but...is there any chance you were driving on snow and/or ice when the ESP/ASR kicked in?
Old 12-12-2010, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Say...this is probably too obvious, but...is there any chance you were driving on snow and/or ice when the ESP/ASR kicked in?
Nope
Old 12-12-2010, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nicky_do_it
Nope
Okay. Have to rule out the obvious, you know.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have noticed that the ESP acts a bit odd, kicking in and out on snow covered roads. If you step on it expecting it to claw its way through the snow, the ESP just cuts the power providing with a somewhat scary, unexected lag...followed by a lunge forward.

I have very fond memories of my first AWD car, a '91 Mitsubishi Galant VR4. I had Blizzak snow tires on it and it was an absolute blast to drive in the snow.

Our subdivision has snow covered roads right now with all the blowing and drifting here in Chicago. I turned the ESP off and took a few trips around the block. It brought back all those fun memories of my VR4. The 4 snow tires gripped and clawed for traction and when the back end would slide out a little in a turn, it would straighten right out with a little extra gas. I wasn't drifting through my neighborhood, but I am glad I got to see what the car could do unrestricted.

I think that sometimes the electrical nannies are so overly cautious that they can impact a person's ability to properly drive a car.

Quick Reply: Scary ESP Moment