S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Shift points

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift points

I have been noticing lately that my car is feels pretty rough when up shifting. This is an S-Tronic automatic and I have only 600 miles on it.

It mostly happens when just smoothly accelarating, not when pushing it, and feels similar to when you let up on the clutch too soon on a manual when upshifting.

I don't recall having this feeling when I test drove 2 others and I'm just wondering if this is normal or something I should have looked at?

I guess my bottom line question is do others feel the shift points on their S4? This is my first coming from 4 A4's but I do not recall ever feeling them in an automatic like I do now.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shouldn't be, but there was an Oct DSG update to the software that you should have gotten that solved this issue with the less than 5% who have DSG and complained about it.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Shouldn't be, but there was an Oct DSG update to the software that you should have gotten that solved this issue with the less than 5% who have DSG and complained about it.
I just got my car and think it was built in January 2010? Is there a way to check the SW version via VAG-COM to see if has been applied?
Old 04-03-2010, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wheelm211
I just got my car and think it was built in January 2010? Is there a way to check the SW version via VAG-COM to see if has been applied?
Back in Dec there were some posts ncluding one about a 'RVU 37F1' transmission control module update, which I thought was needed on my car as it was a May 2009 delivery. Long story short there was a S/W change unknowingly made at the time to my car in Spring 2009 when I needed to get a water pump replaced. Turns out that particular update patch may have fixed one issue but seems tohave created another - now it has to be further upgraded in a 'Service Campaign', because 'similar' to what you note (it seems) there is a 'chug' in the gearing when accelerating at low speed, particularly in transmission DYNAMIC setting and notable when in city driving with a lot of start - stop traffic light driving. A new patch has been prepared by Ingolstadt and is being tested locally for Japanese (where I am) roads. This SW patch supposedly has a 'SVM...' number but I have yet to be called in - some time in following 2 weeks - to have it installed.
I'm not at all sure if this is same symptom / required c'measure that you might be experiencing, but FYI nonethless. When patch is installed I will try get the version no. and let you know how well it works. Car is fine otherwise, It's more a discomfort than car drivability problem while left as it is.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is this happening only in dynamic mode? If it is, same here. The s/w update definitely improved the shifting smoothness in auto/comfort modes, so much so that shifting is virtually unnoticeable, but didn't rectify what you're describing in dynamic (at least for me anyway)

*edit* just read the post above, which gives better info :-)
Old 04-03-2010, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, normal use you shouldn't even feel a shift happen really, just see the tach move.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pete.S
Is this happening only in dynamic mode? If it is, same here. The s/w update definitely improved the shifting smoothness in auto/comfort modes, so much so that shifting is virtually unnoticeable, but didn't rectify what you're describing in dynamic (at least for me anyway)

*edit* just read the post above, which gives better info :-)
No not just in dynamic, although I tested this morning and it seems as if its a little more abrupt.

What do I need to ask my service tech to check exactly (software version of what?)
Old 04-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The software that controls the behaviour of the S-Tronic 'box. If your car was built in Jan 2010, though, I would have thought that update would already have been included. From memory the update was offered around Oct/Nov last year (that's UK, mind)
Old 04-03-2010, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Pete.S
The software that controls the behaviour of the S-Tronic 'box. If your car was built in Jan 2010, though, I would have thought that update would already have been included. From memory the update was offered around Oct/Nov last year (that's UK, mind)
Yes it was applied to all cars after Oct 30 (the date it was released) either in the factory, or at the dealership when someone was in for service. If it's having issues still, definitely mention it, and they might just do a reflash or schedule the mechatronics to be replaced.