S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Shipping a car coast to coast ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping a car coast to coast ?'s

anyone ever use one of these auto transport companies? A forum search yielded nada.

Lots of them online. Price quotes all over the place. There are brokers, Broker/carriers, and carriers. I've seen $900-2700

On the review sites, pretty much every carrier has a few 0/5 ratings and of course good ratings too.

The nightmare stories I have seen are enough to have me highly skeptical.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i used DAS 2 or 3 years ago when i bought my RX7 off auto trader. it was coming from connecticut to san francisco. was quote for $550. i paid an additional $200 for door to door service, where they goto the guy's house to pick it up and then deliver it straight to my house . my only complaint is that it took pretty long.
http://www.dasautoshippers.com/
Old 05-03-2011, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't think I'd trust my car with a carrier for coast-to-coast shipment. Obviously get insurance if you go this route.

Just curious, though, why not drive it yourself? Would be a pretty cool road trip (assuming you have the time).
Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the business. I deal with customers that have Ferraris, lambos etc.

Remember just like with anything else, you get what you pay for.

There is a difference between a person charging 900 and someone charging 1500.

DAS is great.

Plycar is great.

If you are looking for the best price and dont care about the car so much to have the white glove service, you can call Lenny at ship any car.com and tell him Carlo sent you. HE will get you the best rate for sure.

Lenny- Ship any car- 973-727-6704. (if you dont mention carlo he wont give you "industry pricing" and it will be more expensive).

Let me know how you make out. I like feedback when I refer one of my vendors to make sure they treat everyone the right way.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have used DAS twice coast to coast with no problems. Make sure you use enclosed carrier and request "top load" so no car is above you to drop oil / crap on your vehicle. Though I have never used them Intercity Lines also has a great reputation.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I vote for the drive it yourself idea. If you hustled you could do it in 3 days (4 days max).

If that doesn't sound good then go with DAS.

Or as a third option...I bet you could get a few trust worthy guys on the forum to help you out...I will take the Indianapolis to Kansas City route.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did toy with the idea of driving the 2900 miles. After giving it some thought I decided I would rather do something else with those 5-6 days than putting 3000 miles on my new car. + I have a 4 day trip planned down to the bay area in 3 weeks and I was thinking that would be the perfect road trip to get acquainted with the new ride

Also, isn't breaking in the motor with the cruise control set at 75 for almost 3000 miles a bad thing to do?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spacey
I have used DAS twice coast to coast with no problems. Make sure you use enclosed carrier and request "top load" so no car is above you to drop oil / crap on your vehicle. Though I have never used them Intercity Lines also has a great reputation.
DAS and Plycar use full trays on the bottom of the cars so they don't drip on the cars below.

Just wanted to let OP know.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you have the money, Intercity Lines is hands down the best option out there. Other shippers can't compare to their customer service, timeliness, and professionalism. They will treat your car like you would, and will make it across country much faster than DAS or other shippers.

I have shipped a car cross-country on 6 different occasions, and have experience with both DAS and Intercity Lines. DAS is hit or miss in my opinion, and I recently had a bad experience with them where my car sat at the local staging area for 2 weeks without moving. When you pay for door to door service with DAS, they pick up your car and take it to a secured parking area until the actual transport truck arrives to move the car. When my car arrived, the interior looked like it had been splashed with mud or like the driver was covered in mud when he got into the car to move it. I was not happy.

Intercity lines moved my carfrom Washington DC to southern CA in five days, and it was the most positive car shipping experience I've had. The driver will be in touch with you throughout the trip, and all their carriers are enclosed. The only problem was that it cost twice as much :-)
Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jonnyz1245

Also, isn't breaking in the motor with the cruise control set at 75 for almost 3000 miles a bad thing to do?
Didn't realize it was brand new...you are right...you don't want to break in your engine that way. Look up Dr GP's suggestions for a proper break in...many of us have followed it and those that have are not experiencing any oil burning issues.

Quick Reply: Shipping a car coast to coast ?'s