S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

slight popping/knocking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slight popping/knocking sound?

I just noticed this the other day while the radio was turned off. I made a left into my neighborhood at low speed then a right into my driveway even slower. Each turn produced a slight popping/knocking sound from the front of the car (I think). I have since tested again and sure enough same results. The car only has 3500 miles on it. Anyone ever experience this or have any ideas?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well known issue with this car. Not sure that Audi has come up with a fix for it. I have observed the same in all my AWD cars to some extent. Some of the noise can be attributed to tires scrubbing against the road surface as it tries to compensate for the different turning radii between the inner and outer wheels.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting, did not know that. This is my first AWD. So its not an 'issue' or anything that affects the overall handling? Is it car specific or do all S4s do it to some extent? Thanks for the info man.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

In my old beater Honda, my car made the same noise as you described, but it ended up being air bubbles in the power steering system. Not sure if its the same problem as you though.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What mode were you driving in, if applicable? I have an STi and if I was playing with the DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential), especially if I locked it in 50/50 (percent of power given to the front/back differentials respectivley)the front would bind and pop when I made left and right turns at slow speed. I would just put it back in auto, and it would quit. Not sure how the audi handles the torque split between front/back to tell you if its a possibility.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CJBdrivesAudi
I just noticed this the other day while the radio was turned off. I made a left into my neighborhood at low speed then a right into my driveway even slower. Each turn produced a slight popping/knocking sound from the front of the car (I think). I have since tested again and sure enough same results. The car only has 3500 miles on it. Anyone ever experience this or have any ideas?
I have the same issue. It may be just me, but it seems it happens more often if the AC is on. I took the car to the dealer and sure enough they couldnt replicate the issue, but they checked the suspension and everything is in good shape....Didn't have time to dig deeper...
Old 08-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJBdrivesAudi
Interesting, did not know that. This is my first AWD. So its not an 'issue' or anything that affects the overall handling? Is it car specific or do all S4s do it to some extent? Thanks for the info man.
It is an issue with many Audis due to the nature of the Quattro system. Many have taken their S4s in for service to have this issue checked out. I seem to recall that audi recognises the issue but don't believe there is a fix for it. Don't believe anything bad is happening to the car either. BTW, I had the same issue with my B6 S4 as well.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

actually if think about it. I ran an auto-x a few weekends ago. I ran a few laps with traction control on to see how the car reacts. I think i heard/felt some popping noises, but was hard to tell since i have my helmet on. I was just assuming the brakes were pulsating themselves when got sideways on a few turns. I do know heard no such noises with traction control off.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks guys for all your replies. I guess I will hold off on bringing it to the dealership as it seems to be a common problem unless it starts to worsen. Thanks again