S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Smoking Tire: S4 vs. RS4

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am now down to 30 days before my RS4 is out of lease. The dealership even has the new S4 on its lot that they ordered for me (yes, I speced it out). I think I have narrowed it down to two things that make me not want to turn my RS4 keys in. First, IMHO the RS4 is just a better looking car and has incredible road presence. Second, I do not want to lose that killer exhaust.

I will say that the S4 is every bit the performer and the interior very cool and offers much better technology. I just need to make a decision......................HELP!!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, that S4 came out of the west coast press fleet so every publication under the sun has probably beaten it to death. Some of the things I've seen done to press cars (and also done myself to press cars with permission from the manufacturers) will make you cringe

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Great vid/review.

The B8 S4 burns a lot of oil? Someone didn't break in properly, they said they had to add a quart after 1.5K miles? WOW. Ran mine to the 5K first service without a noticable drop in oil, call it as close to zero as you can.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zerinTT
Well, that S4 came out of the west coast press fleet so every publication under the sun has probably beaten it to death. Some of the things I've seen done to press cars (and also done myself to press cars with permission from the manufacturers) will make you cringe
I was thinking about this as well, which sort of directly counters the "Drive it like you stole it" break in methodology in that it will make the engine burn less oil, no?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I dunno, I've broken in almost every car I've ever owned the same way, and that is to drive it like I normally would from day 1. I've never had issues with oil consumption on any of them (2.7T, 2.0T, 3.2VR6, 1.8T, etc...). I will break my S4 in the exact same way.

I was thinking about this as well, which sort of directly counters the "Drive it like you stole it" break in methodology in that it will make the engine burn less oil, no?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I drove it like I stole it since day 1, while giving the car time to cruise also but I really did push my engine hard for the first month (Now I am just cruising back to how I regularly drive)

No noticeable oil consumption like yourself, and the car feels insanely more amazing since the day I first picked it up...
Old 04-20-2010, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Low douche bag factor. LOL, classic!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

no prob If I recall it's under Nav -> Setup and there is a drop down menu for voice cues: Long, Short, Off.
I couldn't find it. I found speech recognition with a short option, but not Nav..
Old 04-20-2010, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Under setup for Nav, you have to scroll down, there is more than one screen. There is Voice Cue (phone) and there is Spoken Directions (or something similar) with: Complete, Short, and OFF.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Under setup for Nav, you have to scroll down, there is more than one screen. There is Voice Cue (phone) and there is Spoken Directions (or something similar) with: Complete, Short, and OFF.
Got it - thanks! Set up - Voice guidance - Compact. I'm a little concrete - like a highway.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by drrick89
Got it - thanks! Set up - Voice guidance - Compact. I'm a little concrete - like a highway.
Let me know if you like the change?

Quick Reply: Smoking Tire: S4 vs. RS4