S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Smoothing out DSG shifts: Observations

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gmermel
Well than where the H*** were all of us when I made my s-tronic decision? It would have certainly cued me to go back for that second, aggressive, focused test drive (my nearest dealer is 2 hours away, so it isn't like I am as lazy as it sounds).

I paid close attention to the DSG/MT threads when I placed my order. The prevailing arguments did not involve the DSG smoothness at all. In fact the general sense was the DSG was SO smooth that die-hard MT people were willing to go with it. The argument in favor of the MT was that the connection to the car was enhanced, NOT that the smoothness the MT allowed was superior.
It is smooth - very smooth, 98% of the time. Bottom line is I doubt you would have discovered the problem during a test drive
no matter how hard you would have tried to produce a problem you may have read about on the forum.

The problem with the DSG is its gremlins dont happen on cue. In fact, I still havent been able to reproduce them for the AUDI Service shop foreman and thats what is so frustrating. I will, however say that AUDI must be aware of these gremlins so when the shop foreman comes back and says AUDI isnt aware of anything, then I know someone isnt quite revealing the entire truth. Unfortunatley, that is not how to keep customers. A manufacturer must be forthright rather than playing the "damage control" game as this only offends the intelect of AUDI Buyers and in the long run will hurt AUDI. GM did this with their faulty ring design on their C5 Corvette and eventually lost the confidence of many owners (that includes me, which is why I no longer buy GM). It can be a catch 22 but you dont want to lie to your loyal customers.

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 01-16-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
It is smooth - very smooth, 98% of the time. Bottom line is I doubt you would have discovered the problem during a test drive
no matter how hard you would have tried to produce a problem you may have read about on the forum.

The problem with the DSG is its gremlins dont happen on cue. In fact, I still havent been able to reproduce them for the AUDI Service shop foreman and thats what is so frustrating. I will, however say that AUDI must be aware of these gremlins so when the shop foreman comes back and says AUDI isnt aware of anything, then I know someone isnt quite revealing the entire truth. Unfortunatley, that is not how to keep customers. A manufacturer must be forthright rather than playing the "damage control" game as this only offends the intelect of AUDI Buyers and in the long run will hurt AUDI. GM did this with their faulty ring design on their C5 Corvette and eventually lost the confidence of many owners (that includes me, which is why I no longer buy GM). It can be a catch 22 but you dont want to lie to your loyal customers.
Yes sir. This will be the last Audi I own if they don't fix the issue and be honest with us. I have owned many of Audi and VW models in the past 20 yrs. I'm willing to throw in the towel on this one. I just feel like they've lied to us with false advertisement. Just over it. I'm gong to ditch this thing before the 2013 facelift happens. Before the resale goes in the crapper.