S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Are snow tires nessary in Co Springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are snow tires nessary in Co Springs

I live in the Springs and was hoping to hear from others that have tried to use the summer tires in the winter. I would rather not have two sets of rims and tires unless others that have tried think it is a must have. Thanks in advance. My drive to work mostly freeway.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

Does it ever snow there? Could you take public transportation if it did snow?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You have zero grip. Don't do it.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can pussyfoot around on the stock tires in the snow and hope you don't have to stop or change directions quickly - I did yesteday b/c I don't have my winter rims on yet. Once it gets cold for good I would not want to be driving like that with any regularity.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by johnnyquad
I live in the Springs and was hoping to hear from others that have tried to use the summer tires in the winter. I would rather not have two sets of rims and tires unless others that have tried think it is a must have. Thanks in advance. My drive to work mostly freeway.
I also live in the Springs and I usally use all-seasons in the winter... The summer tires have a real tough time in the cold february storms. I used summers once and I made it out alive but it was not fun.

The peace of mind you'll have knowing that you'll be able to make it home from work safely when a surprise storm hits is worth the jump to at least all seasons if not winter tires.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

ONE MORE TIME!

It's not only snow that you need to worry about with summer tires. They are called summer tires for a reason.......since they have little to no grip below 40F. You are an idiot who will not only put yourself in danger but anybody else on the road with you if you believe that you can skate through winter in Colorado with SUMMER TIRES!

End rant.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Goony
ONE MORE TIME!

It's not only snow that you need to worry about with summer tires. They are called summer tires for a reason.......since they have little to no grip below 40F. You are an idiot who will not only put yourself in danger but anybody else on the road with you if you believe that you can skate through winter in Colorado with SUMMER TIRES!

End rant.
Man who pissed in your cherrios this morning. Thanks for the people that responded that live here in Colorado and know the weather. I will be buying winter tires and rims soon. All the best!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Full snows maybe not but summer tires won't get you anywhere when that freak snow storm hits.... And you know it will.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man who pissed in your cherrios this morning. Thanks for the people that responded that live here in Colorado and know the weather. I will be buying winter tires and rims soon. All the best!
In all honesty, it's a pretty bad question. You don't have to live in Colorado to know this, the rubber compounds are very different where summers will become hard like a hockey puck on ice and slide just like one sub 35 degrees. You could easily have done a search on the internet or even this forum for the answer.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My bad I got it!

Quick Reply: Are snow tires nessary in Co Springs