S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

So.... back from the dragstrip round 4!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sakimano
BASH BASH BASH!

just kidding. Something went wrong, and it'll get resolved. Cheer up. The gains are dyno-proven and pulls proven. Picking up only one tenth on your previous times is just not in line with what we have seen from APR...who are honest to a fault, so I don't think anything they shared was off.

Looking forward to seeing it get resolved.

While I don't think 12.4 is something you guys should be 'expecting'...I think this car should trap closer to 113mph, not 111. My prediction was 12.6 @ 113 for on the average for APR tuned + catback B8 S4s. I stand by that. Do I win a prize?

This car however running so well on stock ECU, I figured would be more like 12.50. Most of the others are closer to 13.0-13.2 stock. I'd expect 12.7@112 out of those cars, but not this one.

The 60 foot times are not awesome...1.85 or so is kinda 'good' but I guess the transmission limits your ability to launch harder. The 60 foot vs. 330ft vs .1/8th vs 1/4 times are all very consistent. Neat that your fastest times were the last ones.

p.s. what were the conditions on the good pre-tune runs?
Sak, At this point you were correct... Here are my previous conditions pulled right from my other posts.

first visit
Weather was 80F, 54-56% humidity, 60-61 dew point, 5-10 mph breeze, and sunny/partly overcast. The track sits at about 1,250 feet elevation. Unfortunately, I forgot the weather station but a guy was there with one and I looked at his a few times. His claimed 2900-3100... but I think it was a little high... probably more like 2500ish. Either way not great!

second visit
70 degrees, 55% humidity, 55 dewpoint, no wind, 1900ish DA..... Really a very nice day for drag racing in June.... Unfortunately, this produced a huge crowd so I only got 3 runs..

third visit
Conditions.... 67 degrees, 53% humidity, 53 dewpoint, 5-10mph cross wind, overcast, and 30ish BP.... DA was 1500ish...

last night
62F, 70% humidity, 29.92BP DA of 1900....

So about the same DA as the 2nd visit when I ran 12.85, 12.90 and 12.91

Thoughts....

Thanks Ron
Old 09-30-2010, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting - going from 93 octane to 100 octane alone should net you around 20 hp...
Old 09-30-2010, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess? There was still some of that 93 in the tank and lines mixed with the 100, just enough to cause the ECU to pull timing. Note how every pass seemed to improve a bit.

Hope APR finds the problem. I would have expected at least a low to mid 12.5.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MadMadS4
Interesting - going from 93 octane to 100 octane alone should net you around 20 hp...
Hmmmm.... not sure on that but don't know.... Guess it depends how much flexibility the stock ECU really has.... I will ask APR when I talk to them shortly....

Originally Posted by helix139
My guess? There was still some of that 93 in the tank and lines mixed with the 100, just enough to cause the ECU to pull timing. Note how every pass seemed to improve a bit.

Hope APR finds the problem. I would have expected at least a low to mid 12.5.
I thought about that, but I only had less than 1/16 of a tank when I filled up with 100... then drove a ways before getting a flat, then drove to the tire store, then back home and parked the car.... I then let the car run 30ish minutes after installing the chip, then drove around 30-45 minutes in the car, and then to the track and burned up about 1/2 tank so I would think it should have been burned through or very very diluted.... I could be wrong but I don't think that is the issue.... I was expecting better than 12.5 but that would be another .1-.2 better than my runs... Honestly, the trap speed is more concerning to me...
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree Ron, I think with the big increase up top, it should be trapping much faster.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

So.....I am completely ignorant when it comes to ECU tune/improvements/problems.

And I echo Prime's sentiment in not wanting to bash APR as they have been posting their dyno figures and what not.

But just as an educational exercise, at least for me, what COULD be the problem? And I don't mean obvious things like the flash was not installed or he didn't really have 100 octane in the tank.

An example of what I am talking about: Prime DID have a problem with a tire blowout last week. Could tire pressure effect his time to this degree?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rhytid
So.....I am completely ignorant when it comes to ECU tune/improvements/problems.

And I echo Prime's sentiment in not wanting to bash APR as they have been posting their dyno figures and what not.

But just as an educational exercise, at least for me, what COULD be the problem? And I don't mean obvious things like the flash was not installed or he didn't really have 100 octane in the tank.

An example of what I am talking about: Prime DID have a problem with a tire blowout last week. Could tire pressure effect his time to this degree?
Owe I had 100 octane trust me my Mustang would have gone Kaboom a long time ago if the station(s) I buy from weren't selling 100 octane. Tire pressure does affect times.... If you over inflate your tires you will run better... All mine were at 40psi which is what I keep them at. I always check things out on the car when I go to the track to make sure everything is in order and consistent visit to vist. This is why I track DA as well since it is a variable I can't control but can adjust for....

My theroy at this point is the tune didn't take and the small improvements are from the 100 octane.... Should know by tonight! later Ron
Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Once again, I preface this by saying I am completely ignorant regarding ECU tunes.

How can the tune not "take"? And maybe I am being paranoid but how can the average Joe then be sure that his tune DID "take"?

I realize you may not have the answers either. Just thinking out loud....
Old 09-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Once again, I preface this by saying I am completely ignorant regarding ECU tunes.

How can the tune not "take"? And maybe I am being paranoid but how can the average Joe then be sure that his tune DID "take"?

I realize you may not have the answers either. Just thinking out loud....
Well you should notice a difference after about 5500 where the stock tune bled off the boost and fizzles out. The hp on the curve decreases around that point. With the APR tune, you should continue to have more and more power all the way to the redline.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

If Prime can't feel the difference then there is a problem. The difference is absolutely noticeable. This would be the first and most obvious indication without doing any other diagnostics.

A boost gauge would be very handy here as well.

Quick Reply: So.... back from the dragstrip round 4!