S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

So.... back from the dragstrip round 4!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMadS4
Does the track you go to allow you to get up to max speed? A couple people have been wondering that...
LOL! Not unless I want to drive through a field.... I can do some high speed freeway runs but I am not a top end speeder IE I don't race on the streets much at all and defintely not to 150+.... I am a little older now so the consequences are not worth it.... So I guess what I am saying is I don't care how fast I can go....
Old 10-01-2010, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool. is that when you guys started realizing that the 333 figure is under-rated?
Oh no, it was way before then, but not many people had done any independent dyno's when I did mine. Lou and a few others (especially the APR dyno) had been done and almost all showed a good deal more than my pulls.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primetime
LOL! Not unless I want to drive through a field.... I can do some high speed freeway runs but I am not a top end speeder IE I don't race on the streets much at all and defintely not to 150+.... I am a little older now so the consequences are not worth it.... So I guess what I am saying is I don't care how fast I can go....
k. just curious - guess its a drag strip only.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Watch that video very carefully.... only one run did the DSG car shift at 7K all other runs he/car shifted early.... The race he shifted at 7K was a tie to 130MPH....

Also, just an update.... I pulled the ECU again last night(got it down to 5 minute process!), packaged it up and will be dropping it for shipping today. APR will get it Monday reflash it and get it back to me.... unfortunately Thompson is closed next Wed. so I will hit the track next Sat. The long range forecast shows 60's and sunny.... We know how forecasts change though but as long as it doesn't rain I will be there for passes that I will tape and post regardless. Also, someone on AZ asked that I put the stock airbox back on so I will take it with me and make a few passes with the strat intake and a few with the stock airbox.... hopefully that will debunk any myths that it is hurting the performance as I don't believe it is, don't know if it is helping though either.... Fortunately, I was able to wash the car and since I can't drive it will wax it this weekend.... It has 9 coats of Zaino but I haven't waxed it yet so it's needs it anyway! I'll keep everyone updated! later Ron
I have re-watched the APR videos and it seems the last two runs were the DSG's best (I think) i see what you mean about shift before 7000rpm but as I understand it that was the car shifting automatically not him. My point was this car seems to continue to make power up to 7100 rpm (based on APR dyno graphs, especailly 100 octane tune were the car sees the most improvement over stock) so should that not be the ideal shift point?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

k. just curious - guess its a drag strip only.
Nah... there is a go-kart track also.... I am debating purchasing a kart and having some fun there as well....

Originally Posted by 81bear
I have re-watched the APR videos and it seems the last two runs were the DSG's best (I think) i see what you mean about shift before 7000rpm but as I understand it that was the car shifting automatically not him. My point was this car seems to continue to make power up to 7100 rpm (based on APR dyno graphs, especailly 100 octane tune were the car sees the most improvement over stock) so should that not be the ideal shift point?
Yes, the 2nd to last I believe was the best... I know he said the car shifted on it's own but I watch my tach on every pass and my car shifts at 7K everytime.... so not sure why his wasn't... my guess is because he was in manual shift mode but not positive it is something I plan to test when I get the ecu back to see for myself.... I agree the car probably makes more power past 7K.... we need a 6-speed car with the APR chip too see if their redline is raised.... since we know it isn't on the DSG cars...
Old 10-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

Sak, At this point you were correct... Here are my previous conditions pulled right from my other posts.

first visit
Weather was 80F, 54-56% humidity, 60-61 dew point, 5-10 mph breeze, and sunny/partly overcast. The track sits at about 1,250 feet elevation. Unfortunately, I forgot the weather station but a guy was there with one and I looked at his a few times. His claimed 2900-3100... but I think it was a little high... probably more like 2500ish. Either way not great!

second visit
70 degrees, 55% humidity, 55 dewpoint, no wind, 1900ish DA..... Really a very nice day for drag racing in June.... Unfortunately, this produced a huge crowd so I only got 3 runs..

third visit
Conditions.... 67 degrees, 53% humidity, 53 dewpoint, 5-10mph cross wind, overcast, and 30ish BP.... DA was 1500ish...

last night
62F, 70% humidity, 29.92BP DA of 1900....

So about the same DA as the 2nd visit when I ran 12.85, 12.90 and 12.91

Thoughts....

Thanks Ron
My thoughts like everyones appear to be confirmed...APR pooched it! Great that they took ownership the way they did.

p.s. you can look up DA on dragtimes.com using your old timeslips showing date/time/track

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...calculator.php
Old 10-03-2010, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was expecting a 12.4ish pass at 113+ honestly....
Oh, with how incredibly disappointed everybody was it seemed like they were expecting mid 11's or something. You're almost there, and I bet you'll surpass that with the added boost from the mistake.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jibberjive
Oh, with how incredibly disappointed everybody was it seemed like they were expecting mid 11's or something. You're almost there, and I bet you'll surpass that with the added boost from the mistake.
No reasonable person expected the B8 S4 to hit 11's with a tune and exhaust only, even on 100 octane.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
No reasonable person expected the B8 S4 to hit 11's with a tune and exhaust only, even on 100 octane.
If everyone was expecting 12.4 and got 12.6, I was just surprised at the utter disappointment across the board for .2 sec, that's all. Not a bad time either way, can't wait to see what it does with the boost upped. And it's refreshing to see someone who's not afraid to take the car to the track and post the results, good or bad. Props to the OP.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Actually there were quite a few people calling for 11s with tune exhaust intake...the most memorable was one regular B8 poster's call of 11.9 @ 113 mph. Dragstrip guys will know how impossible that is in a 4000lb car.

Two things with past S4s stand out to illustrate what the B8 is up against to crack 11s:

1. it took a B6 S4 a gain of 100whp to go from full bolt ons at 13.0 to a supercharged 12.2...and that's a 200lb lighter car. 100whp for those 0.8 seconds...and that's what the fastest B8 needs to shave from stock times (primetime was 12.8 and to get into 11s he'll need a similar time drop)

2. this is the result of a quick pull between a barely 11 second B5 S4 vs. a tuned/intake/exhaust B8 S4 with DSG. Image taken from the B5 passenger seat...it's a ways back.

Quick Reply: So.... back from the dragstrip round 4!