S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Some detail feature questions from a prospective buyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some detail feature questions from a prospective buyer

Hi all, very interested in an S4, but just want to get a feel for every little detail before I commit. So a couple questions if you don't mind:

1. I noticed in the Audi Virtual Cockpit (online "manual" located here: http://microsites.audi.com/campaigns...it/A4x_en.html ) that if you turn the mirror adjustment dial 180 deg from the operating position (straight up), it will retract the mirrors. I didn't notice this on my test drive, do S4s have this feature?

2. According to the same source, there is an "Audi Parking Advanced" system that has front parking sensors as well as rear. Do US S4s have this feature (with the Prestige pack), or is it just the rearview camera and sensors in the rear?

3. Can all functions of the MMI system be operated _fully_ while driving? This was a major letdown in my wife's new 2011 Sienna (it's ridiculously crippled while moving), and I love that my current 335i doesn't play nanny at all. If the S4 has limitations, exactly what are they?

4. Does the S4 play DVDs on the Nav display? I assume this is only functional while parked due to regulation, but it would be nice know.

5. Does the Audi lighting system have the capability to "turn" a set of lights while you turn the car at low speeds for visibility around corners? Some other companies are offering this now (including BMW), and I wasn't sure if the S4 had received it.

6. Is the Audi Bluetooth module capable of receiving streamed stereo music signal in addition to the two-way headset linkup? If not, any chance this is in the pipeline or could be enabled somehow?

7. Is there any kind of "sport auto" transmission setting that will use different (more aggressive) logic than the standard Drive mode? Something that's not completely manual, that is. Sometimes I want a nice sporting drive without the car shortshifting like crazy, but don't want to be pulling paddles the whole way.

8. What's _really_ included in the 19" Titanium Sports Package? It looks like you really only get the 5 spoke wheels, the black trim around the doors, and the black front grill, correct? The Audi website says you get a black headliner and piano black inlays as well as a performance suspension, is this true?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. US don't get folding mirrors (or headlamp washers and some other things like front parking sensors)

2. See 1.

3. Yes, not even a warning stating "don't use in motion that is not safe" I love that it's fully functional unlike my wife's Land Rover Nav.

4. Yes, and yes - though you can get someone to disable the lockout with a vag-com programming cable so it will work while in motion, as well as use it to change some other nice features in the car.

5. See latter part of 4. You can enable the fog lamp to kick on for the side the turn signal is no using the vag-com programming cable and software with a laptop

6. No A2DP, sorry.

7. Yes, if you get the Sport Diff (highly recommended only $1,100) or full Audi Drive Select system it comes with a "Dynamic mode" which greatly increases the RPM's before shifting normally, increases the speed of shifts as well as stiffening steering (and with full ADS it can change the steerring ratio and soften or tighten the entire suspension).

8. The latter part you asked about is for A4's the S4 as you likely know since you have been doing good research and are asking already comes with piano black inlays around the console and a black headliner. It also blacks out the chrome around the foglamps on the S4 as well.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Sadly, not on US cars.
2. Sadly, not on US cars.
3. Fully functional, including the deepest of setting menus.
4. You can play DVDs on the Nav screen, while parked. A reprogramming tool, VAG-COM is available to disable this limitation.
5. Sadly, not on US cars.
6. This is called A2DP. The MMI does not support this. Could theoretically be added with a software update in the future.
7. On cars with the sports differential or ADS you get a set of buttons that allow you to change throttle and shift response, among other things.
8. I'll leave this to someone with the Ti package.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

wow, you guys are fast!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dr bryan
wow, you guys are fast!
This and Audizine are pretty well trafficed boards and most of the people here are very euthusiast oriented and knowledgable. If half the people who are here now came here before buying, they might have done a lot of things differently - salespeople are not always the most knowledgable about WHAT they are selling.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow, thanks for the great replies. Exactly what I was looking for. Yep, I'm familiar with VAG-COM. Or at least what it used to be in its infancy on the B5, which was the last Audi I owned. Used to have to plug that thing into a serial port! Do they even put those on laptops anymore?

BMW has something similar now, called Bav Tech

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
8. The latter part you asked about is for A4's the S4 as you likely know since you have been doing good research and are asking already comes with piano black inlays around the console and a black headliner. It also blacks out the chrome around the foglamps on the S4 as well.
Oh, gotcha, I thought it defaulted to the aluminum inlays if you didn't select carbon or stainless steel. I'm curious how the SS looks. I like the look of CF, but don't care for the ultra shiny resin they encase it in.

Now the big question is, where can I get one used? I've been searching (autotrader, CL, ebay, cars.com, here) and have come up extremely short at the number of actual used B8s for sale. Even more rare appears to be the black/red seats I'm interested in. I might just order new, but I was hoping to have someone else take the depreciation hit for me.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

maybe you are just slow.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The piano is only inlaid around the central area of the shifter (like this on all S4's), you still get to pick what other trim inlays you want.

The older style Vag-Com won't work, you will need a new one for this car's Can-Bus system, see my sig for the type used, you can get them in serial or USB now - since finding serial on a new laptop is harder now (especially a netook which is ideal for working on the car with) I got USB, and recommend anyone else to.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neon01
7. Is there any kind of "sport auto" transmission setting that will use different (more aggressive) logic than the standard Drive mode? Something that's not completely manual, that is. Sometimes I want a nice sporting drive without the car shortshifting like crazy, but don't want to be pulling paddles the whole way.
You can put the Tiptronic transmission into 'S' mode instead of 'D' and it will do exactly as you are stating. Give a more sporty shifting map.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neon01
Hi all, very interested in an S4, but just want to get a feel for every little detail before I commit. So a couple questions if you don't mind:

1. I noticed in the Audi Virtual Cockpit (online "manual" located here: http://microsites.audi.com/campaigns...it/A4x_en.html ) that if you turn the mirror adjustment dial 180 deg from the operating position (straight up), it will retract the mirrors. I didn't notice this on my test drive, do S4s have this feature?

2. According to the same source, there is an "Audi Parking Advanced" system that has front parking sensors as well as rear. Do US S4s have this feature (with the Prestige pack), or is it just the rearview camera and sensors in the rear?

3. Can all functions of the MMI system be operated _fully_ while driving? This was a major letdown in my wife's new 2011 Sienna (it's ridiculously crippled while moving), and I love that my current 335i doesn't play nanny at all. If the S4 has limitations, exactly what are they?

4. Does the S4 play DVDs on the Nav display? I assume this is only functional while parked due to regulation, but it would be nice know.

5. Does the Audi lighting system have the capability to "turn" a set of lights while you turn the car at low speeds for visibility around corners? Some other companies are offering this now (including BMW), and I wasn't sure if the S4 had received it.

6. Is the Audi Bluetooth module capable of receiving streamed stereo music signal in addition to the two-way headset linkup? If not, any chance this is in the pipeline or could be enabled somehow?

8. What's _really_ included in the 19" Titanium Sports Package? It looks like you really only get the 5 spoke wheels, the black trim around the doors, and the black front grill, correct? The Audi website says you get a black headliner and piano black inlays as well as a performance suspension, is this true?

Thanks in advance.
Wow, that is a lot of questions. Buy the car you will love it.

Quick Reply: Some detail feature questions from a prospective buyer