S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Sorry but I must ask - opinions on "break-in" period?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry but I must ask - opinions on "break-in" period?

I've heard the range of opinions from, "take it easy, don't drive at maintained speeds for long periods, don't hard-start/stop for the first 500 miles" to "Drive it like you stole it!"

What's your advice and opinion?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOTS of recent talk on this, check out the several links using search up top, I think you will find what you want and more.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

In doing some drives last night after I picked my new car up from the dealer, it was hard to keep the revs low, especially as I was giving rides to a few different family members. Today, in the normal commute, it was easy to stay within the break-in guidelines.

I'm trying to be good during the first 1,000 miles, but if I have a little fun along the way I'm not going to worry about it much. I'm not going to hit the redline (or fuel cuttoff) during break-in, that's for sure. I'll save that for later.

That's my $.02.

60 miles on the car as it sits in the parking garage right now.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I say flog it. It's a series production car, not some hand built race motor. They run them to redline at the factory before they pass QC. I'm not saying redline it (that's not really good for any engine of any age), but there's no problem with revving to 5000 or 6000.

You can use the brakes for sure. You want to get the grease off the tires from the mould, and you want to bed the pads. A small amount of pad material transfers onto the rotor - which is what creates the friction to stop the car. Hard stops are what get the brakes hot enough for this transfer to occur. The factory did this for sure, but the rotors probably fully oxidized on their way over (they are made of iron).
Old 06-15-2010, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For some reason I'm not getting any strings when I enter break-in in the search box. Am I doing something wrong? Am I using the wrong terminology? That's why I started the thread.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
I say flog it. It's a series production car, not some hand built race motor. They run them to redline at the factory before they pass QC. I'm not saying redline it (that's not really good for any engine of any age), but there's no problem with revving to 5000 or 6000.

You can use the brakes for sure. You want to get the grease off the tires from the mould, and you want to bed the pads. A small amount of pad material transfers onto the rotor - which is what creates the friction to stop the car. Hard stops are what get the brakes hot enough for this transfer to occur. The factory did this for sure, but the rotors probably fully oxidized on their way over (they are made of iron).
+1 though I will add that you want to wait a good 5 minutes of driving to ensure that the oil is up to temp and the engine is warm (longer in sub 40F degree weather), and it will be fine.

Originally Posted by MIS4
For some reason I'm not getting any strings when I enter break-in in the search box. Am I doing something wrong? Am I using the wrong terminology? That's why I started the thread.
Here are some from this forum: https://forums.audiworld.com/search....archid=3045555

And here are several from Audizine:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...and-discussion.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...king-in-the-S4..

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...hould-I-bother

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...in-for-my-baby
Old 06-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks NWS4Guy! I have enjoyed and learned a lot from your posts since joining the S4 family last month. I appreciate your input. It's great to be a part of the S4 family.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Personally I am going to take it easy (under 4.5k rpms) until 500 miles, then drive it like I want.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by krunko
Personally I am going to take it easy (under 4.5k rpms) until 500 miles, then drive it like I want.
I just hit 750mi so I guess it is too late. Oh Well I don't think I have been too bad.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WHTMTNS4
I just hit 750mi so I guess it is too late. Oh Well I don't think I have been too bad.
Perhaps not bad enough. If you baby the car during the break in period you have a significant risk of having an oil consumption problem. BECAUSE, your piston rings MAY NOT seat completely

Quick Reply: Sorry but I must ask - opinions on "break-in" period?