S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

speedometer reading 160mph vs 200mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by papertrade15
haha, guess it doesn't really matter, i use the digital display at all times other then when navigation is on maybe someone has a trick that i don't know about to use the digital speedometer when using navigation?!

..also i can say i was lucky enough to let the car loose twice and max it out.. pretty cool feeling.. seeing the digital display at that speed was pretty exciting, not even sure if i looked over at the speedometer.. but if i did, it would have still looked like i had room to go.. also i read somewhere you can order this car and request the governor to be moved to 174mph is that right?

makes senses them changing the speedometer to make it easier to see at lower speeds.. i usually keep my steering wheel at the lowest possible setting and seeing anything but the digital display is almost impossible anyways unless i duck my head a little..
I use the digital read out as well and you CAN use it while using navigation. Just hit the reset button the wiper stalk like you normally would to cycle through functions and it will cycle out of navigation and eventually back into speedo display.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mkato13
I use the digital read out as well and you CAN use it while using navigation. Just hit the reset button the wiper stalk like you normally would to cycle through functions and it will cycle out of navigation and eventually back into speedo display.
Alright great, I've tried to cycle through before but it never seemed to work for me, I'm gonna try it out when I leave the office tonight
Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SIDUA
I think by saying 160/200 one is referring to the scale that the 2 speedos are at. Normally people drive < 80mph which means only small portion of the dial is utilized on B8 as opposed to roughly half of the dial used on B8.5.
With the digitl readout, I never look at the speedo. Come to think of it, I rarely look at the digital display either.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by papertrade15
haha most likely never, considering the governor at 155, but was up there twice and can say the car handles almost better at those speeds then it does at 60mph, these cars are absolute machines, its quite incredible.. the only car i am considering but as a toy at some point is a 911(most likely will stick with audi for the DD either way).. but thats still a few years away.. for now the s4 definitely does the trick..
Originally Posted by Toecutter
Honestly, how many times have you gone faster than 160mph?
So I purchased the car in Germany, brought the ECU back with me on leave to have it tuned (which took the speed limiter off). Had it over there for about four months with no limiter and can honestly say had it well over 160 many times, posted one of the runs on AZ and youtube. But yeah, used the digital speedo for that.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackhawk878
So I purchased the car in Germany, brought the ECU back with me on leave to have it tuned (which took the speed limiter off). Had it over there for about four months with no limiter and can honestly say had it well over 160 many times, posted one of the runs on AZ and youtube. But yeah, used the digital speedo for that.
Lucky focker! I wish I could do that. Don't they use the metric speedos in Germany? Do you know if they switched to a lower max kph speedo for 2013? It would be more applicable over there to use the higher max gauge.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, they use KM/H. However mine is U.S. spec. Not sure of the Euro (most of the ROW) speedos for 2013.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'd give up the analog speedo in a second for an oil temp gauge and a bigger digital gear indicator for the DSG. The thing is useless and way too big.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh ya, also got to do a few laps around the Nürburgring one hell of an experience. Damn I miss Germany!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackhawk878
Oh ya, also got to do a few laps around the Nürburgring one hell of an experience. Damn I miss Germany!
Did you get any video of that? Please tell me yes...
Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Did you get any video of that? Please tell me yes...
I tried but didn't make it through the guards that actually check to see if you have recording equipment. Should have waited until I was through the gate, then attached it.

Quick Reply: speedometer reading 160mph vs 200mph