S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Sport Differential

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Differential

Ok my car doesent have the Sport Differential, and i really would like to know if im missing out on the fun of the Sport Differential. Can some one explain to me the differences?

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

There's a 16 page thread on the sport rear diff if you want to do a bunch of reading on it: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2773920
Old 04-11-2010, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or don't read it and you won't be missing anything because you won't KNOW what you are missing. In short, if you can't change the order, or already have the car, why torture yourself?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tg912
Ok my car doesent have the Sport Differential, and i really would like to know if im missing out on the fun of the Sport Differential. Can some one explain to me the differences?

Thanks.
Some other thoughts to build on NWS4guy just said...

When you mention fun it kinda suggests you are going to be driving at 8-10/10ths a lot? 80% or higher of the cars ability. If that's the case then you might want to seriously consider the sport diff. If your spirited driving is in under this threshold, considering your situation, then I wouldn't worry about it as much. There will be folks on here that will say if you drive the car like you are babying it all the time you will still benefit from the sport diff...and they are right. There are even small benefits at slow speeds. Granted the sport diff is a great piece of technology and has many benefits...but my suggestion is to ask yourself...Have you had fun driving in the past w/out a sport diff? Have you felt safe? If the sport diff didn't exists would you still be highly attracted to this vehicle? Did you ever feel like you were missing out on something in the past w/out a sport diff on your car?

This car offers so much else besides the sport diff. Incredible engine, standard handling capabilities beyond what most drivers will explore/or capable of, if S-tronic--it's incredible and entertaining in it's own right, if 6 SP you really feel connected to the vehicle, electronics galore, class leading interior,etc etc etc.

I test drove a S4 w/out a sport diff and fell in love. Don't spend a ton of time worrying about it, unless you are really going to be exploring the limits all the time...my guess is you will love the car anyway.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redrocker55
This car offers so much else besides the sport diff. Incredible engine, standard handling capabilities beyond what most drivers will explore/or capable of, if S-tronic--it's incredible and entertaining in it's own right, if 6 SP you really feel connected to the vehicle, electronics galore, class leading interior,etc etc etc.

I test drove a S4 w/out a sport diff and fell in love. Don't spend a ton of time worrying about it, unless you are really going to be exploring the limits all the time...my guess is you will love the car anyway.
Very well said. I think sometimes folks lose sight of this, as though not having the Sport Differential takes the car from "super sedan" to "slug". Simply not the case.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed!
Old 04-12-2010, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WatchNut
Very well said. I think sometimes folks lose sight of this, as though not having the Sport Differential takes the car from "super sedan" to "slug". Simply not the case.
No, but it does turn it into the first Audi sedan that doesn't understeer like crazy. I think that makes the diff worth it at 3x the price.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It came down to what I could afford and how I use the car. I commute in the car and have no intentions to track it, so I couldn't justify the $1,100 given today's reality in the economy.

My car is in production, and I am told will be here in mid-May. Quartz Grey with black leather and B&O system. My last Audi was a 1998 A4 2.8Q, so this will be a blast!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Openroadfun
It came down to what I could afford and how I use the car. I commute in the car and have no intentions to track it, so I couldn't justify the $1,100 given today's reality in the economy.

My car is in production, and I am told will be here in mid-May. Quartz Grey with black leather and B&O system. My last Audi was a 1998 A4 2.8Q, so this will be a blast!

Your money and I am sure you will love the car but I would have went with the SD over the leather.... Just my .02
Old 04-12-2010, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The Alcantara inserts scared me with my 7 year old son as a frequent passenger. They struck me as going to be difficult to clean in the event of the occasional spill.

Quick Reply: Sport Differential