S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Sport Differential

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowJet
We're veering away from the OP's post. He was just wondering the differences between having and not having SD. Seems to me, he just wasn't as well informed as he wished he could have been during ordering.

We all know the SD is the crowning jewel of the S4, but an S4 without SD is STILL an S4. Doesn't make them any less of an enthusiast.
Never said anything about less enthusiast and yes it is a mistake not to get SD. The SD is not a place to pinch pennies when it comes to getting an 2010 S4.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all have decisions to make on how to spend our money. If I could've spec'd the car the way I'd like, I would've gone 6-speed, B&O and the SD and leave the Alcantarra. But I had a strict budget that I didn't want to deviate from. And given the choices out there in my range, and the desire of my wife (she had a stroke at age 34 and can't use a clutch too well anymore)and the reality of my kid situation, I made choices that still fit this car in my budget.

I am very excited about the S4 and think it will be a joy to drive during my 45 minute commute each day. I don't think the lack of the SD will wipe that smile off my face.

I understand peoples opinions, but I test drove a "basic" S4 and it was fantastic.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Openroadfun
We all have decisions to make on how to spend our money. If I could've spec'd the car the way I'd like, I would've gone 6-speed, B&O and the SD and leave the Alcantarra. But I had a strict budget that I didn't want to deviate from. And given the choices out there in my range, and the desire of my wife (she had a stroke at age 34 and can't use a clutch too well anymore)and the reality of my kid situation, I made choices that still fit this car in my budget.

I am very excited about the S4 and think it will be a joy to drive during my 45 minute commute each day. I don't think the lack of the SD will wipe that smile off my face.

I understand peoples opinions, but I test drove a "basic" S4 and it was fantastic.
And that's all that matters! Any way you slice it.... it is one heck of a great car!
Old 04-12-2010, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reds4Phil
Never said anything about less enthusiast and yes it is a mistake not to get SD. The SD is not a place to pinch pennies when it comes to getting an 2010 S4.
...in your opinion.
:-)
Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Openroadfun

Sorry man didn't mean to stir up the debate.... Welcome to the board and enjoy your S4.... Given your situation(children and concern for spills) I would have opted for the nappa as well. take care, Ron
Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
GWN
AudiWorld Newcomer

Funny, I started a thread very similar to this.....I didn't chose SD because I wasn't as informed as I could have been---and was nervous about getting one without it.

I will drive my S4 the same as you... to work with my kids and wife...it still is German engineered, it is still Quattro---we just can't take it out on a track and burn through our performance tires!! With all the money we'll save on speeding tickets, the next Audi will be loaded!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

For most people, not having the Sport Differential probably won't make much difference on a daily driver. If you get what you really want, then other possible options don't really matter.

I did have to order a 2010 S4, to get the Sport Differential, since I did not want the Prestige (keyless entry) and there were no 2010 S4 premium plus DSG with sport differential available within the 300 miles (unless I wanted Black exterior). It was my choice and preference to get the sport differential, but people have different priorities and preferences, which is why we have options.

There is also a psychological barrier when once considers spending over $50k for a car. Every few $1k over 50k, pushes it closer to $60k, especially when the state sales tax is almost 10%. One could purchase two perfectly good new transportation cars for $60k.

Sometimes choosing options on a car is like financial planning; "The enemy of a sound financial plan is the lure of a perfect plan."
Old 04-12-2010, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Was looking at an A4 but couldn't resist the temptation to move up to the S4. So had to forgo some of the options. I did pick the S-Tronic after driving manual for many years since it will shift faster than I can at my old age.
In the end I'm happy with what I have even without SD. The S4 is a blast to drive and I don't think the A4 would have come close.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No SD

I don't have the SD and never would have missed it until I got on the forums after my purchase. I needed a vehicle immediately and the stripped S4 on the lot absolutely blew the loaded A4 out of the water. The deal was done!

I have yet to find anyone with the B8S4 w/ no SD who is actually unhappy with the vehicle. I personally drive pretty hard, but don't track and have had very little issue with understeer.

I have driven the S4 with the SD, it is sweet and definitely worth the money IMO, however this vehicle is amazing with or without the diff. My personal experience is that I miss having it occasionally, but it seems to happen more when I'm on the Forum then actually on the road.

Whatever you get...enjoy it.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GWN
Funny, I started a thread very similar to this.....I didn't chose SD because I wasn't as informed as I could have been---and was nervous about getting one without it.

I will drive my S4 the same as you... to work with my kids and wife...it still is German engineered, it is still Quattro---we just can't take it out on a track and burn through our performance tires!! With all the money we'll save on speeding tickets, the next Audi will be loaded!!!
Don't sell yourself/ non SD short. 1) Prior generation s4's are without SD and have been tracked and 2) the B8 without SD is more balanced then those. While I think it would have been wise to get the SD if it were available at the time of purchase, I would love to see a comparison test using the same driver.