S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Sport Differential and/or Drive Select?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Differential and/or Drive Select?

There appears to be 2 choices for rear diff when optioning out the S4:

(1) one is just for the *Sport Differential* (rear diff+Drive Select) for $1,500; and

(2) the other is *Sport Differential*+Dynamic Steering System/Adaptive Suspension Damping System/Variable Throttle Response/Variable Gear-Shifting for $4,000.

Which is better value and why? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tons of posts on this, so you might want to poke around a bit. It seems most folks (myself included) feel the sport diff is the best value. It gives you control of steering boost, throttle response and the torque vectoring diff (and something with the shifting for the auto trans).

You need to decide if adjustible suspension and adjustible steering ratio is worth the extra bills. I'm personally happy with the stock suspension and didn't feel it was worth the money.

Drive both before you decide.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
Tons of posts on this, so you might want to poke around a bit. It seems most folks (myself included) feel the sport diff is the best value. It gives you control of steering boost, throttle response and the torque vectoring diff (and something with the shifting for the auto trans).

You need to decide if adjustable suspension and adjustable steering ratio is worth the extra bills. I'm personally happy with the stock suspension and didn't feel it was worth the money.

Agree completely.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky

You need to decide if adjustible suspension and adjustible steering ratio is worth the extra bills. I'm personally happy with the stock suspension and didn't feel it was worth the money.

I have drive select and if I ordered the car today I would save the money and just stick with the sport diff.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reds4Phil
I have drive select and if I ordered the car today I would save the money and just stick with the sport diff.
Really? Not worth it or no use for those added features?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tranquility
The only added feature you get with ADS is the suspension.

Sport diff with has what's colloquially called "ADS Lite" on here. It still has the adjustable steering, throttle and transmission settings, but does not have the adjustable suspension.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have ADS and wouldn't go without it. If you can afford it, imho you should get it. The adjustable suspension makes it two cars in one - more comfortable than a base A4 suspension when having a leisurely drive, and tighter than the S4 suspension when you're in a racier mood. It's particularly useful when on rough roads.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tranquility
With the ADS I USE the comfort setting less and less. It's just not that big of a deal for $2,800 extra. I test drove a S4 with (SD only) before I ordered my car and ended being disappointed that there was not a bigger difference with my ADS.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sworksone
I have ADS and wouldn't go without it. If you can afford it, imho you should get it. The adjustable suspension makes it two cars in one - more comfortable than a base A4 suspension when having a leisurely drive, and tighter than the S4 suspension when you're in a racier mood. It's particularly useful when on rough roads.
Originally Posted by Reds4Phil
With the ADS I USE the comfort setting less and less. It's just not that big of a deal for $2,800 extra. I test drove a S4 with (SD only) before I ordered my car and ended being disappointed that there was not a bigger difference with my ADS.
Hmmm, so w/ ADS, you can choose a setting softer *and* firmer than the default? That would mean that the default setting for a S4 w/o ADS is in the middle?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
The only added feature you get with ADS is the suspension.

Sport diff with has what's colloquially called "ADS Lite" on here. It still has the adjustable steering, throttle and transmission settings, but does not have the adjustable suspension.
Wrong. You get Suspension and Dynamic (variable ratio) Steering.

Quick Reply: Sport Differential and/or Drive Select?