S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

sports rear diff package, YES OR NO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sports rear diff package, YES OR NO?

I just ordered a 6 speed, nav, b&o, nappa seats & titanium package last Friday. When i test drove the car it was a auto with sports rear diff package, so i never got a chance to see what it was like without or even with stick. For you owners out there do you think the sports rear diff package is worth the upgrade? Where will i feel the difference driving?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do some searching on the forum here - this has been asked before. Most folks here will tell you it's totally worth it (execpt the few who didn't order it).

The sports diff alone is amazing - if you like to do some spirited driving, it's great. If you will track at all, it's a must.

That said - there are two other features you get with this that make it even better. The ability to change the steering boost - if you like a heavier steering feel this is great. Also I have found that the tweaks to the throttle response make shifting the MT much smoother - it's very noticablly different.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would definately get it.

I wanted it but the dealer didn't have it with the combo and I wanted to take advantage of the season of audi.

I would get it just for the option to set the steering and throttle. Sometimes I just want a soft steering wheel.

I'm not sure if it's night a day performancewise though.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

For me, the answer was simple: Yes!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DO NOT BUY THE S4 WITHOUT THE SPORT DIF!!! Sorry for yelling, but the sport dif is THE option that makes the S4 special. My sales rep told me I didn't need it. And he was right. But I orderd it and am very happy I did. It cannot be retrofitted. And even though you may not track the car(I don't), having the ability to choose a Comfort/Auto/Dynamic mode significantly affects the cars throttle response and suspension dynamics and fuel economy. If you NEVER drive the car agressively you might not miss it. Then you probably would be better of with an A4 S line anyway.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely worth it. Get the Sport Diff
Old 12-12-2010, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes
Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tofuking
I just ordered a 6 speed, nav, b&o, nappa seats & titanium package last Friday. When i test drove the car it was a auto with sports rear diff package, so i never got a chance to see what it was like without or even with stick. For you owners out there do you think the sports rear diff package is worth the upgrade? Where will i feel the difference driving?

Thanks in advance!
No offense but you are spending about $3,400 for nav and sound system and are questioning the single thing that transforms the handling of the car and is in the opinion of most the defining option on the car? For $1,100 or so, YES, GET THE DIFF. (and as others have said, the throttle and steering adjustments are nice as well)
Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tofuking
Where will i feel the difference driving?
I drove an 2009/2010 A4 for almost a week while I was getting my water pump and some rearview mirror trim replaced. Driving the A4, I missed the power the most. But, I also noticed a significant lack of manuverability; much of which is due to the sport differential.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

Sports Diff (ads lite) or full ADS........YES, set on dynamic (Indiv & VAGCOM).

Quick Reply: sports rear diff package, YES OR NO?