S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

sports rear diff package, YES OR NO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WatchNut
Oh please. The S4 is more than just the Sports Differential. Your post is nothing short of ridiculous. What you're basically saying is that there's no difference in the 3.0 supercharged engine in the S4 and the 2.0 turbo in the A4, and the SD is what makes the difference. No offense intended, but that's absurd.
You get soft A4 steering feel and tons of understeer. What's the point of speed if you can't feel it in the wheel or put it around a cone? You need the sport diff to get the dynamic steering mode, which has much heavier feel.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes for the price and the increase in handling..no way would I get one without it.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
You get soft A4 steering feel and tons of understeer. What's the point of speed if you can't feel it in the wheel or put it around a cone? You need the sport diff to get the dynamic steering mode, which has much heavier feel.
My S4 has the SD. I have also driven my friend's S4 which does not. And I have driven multiple A4s. Comparing the non-SD S4 is still nig and day versus the A4. Not the same animal at all. Acceleration and driving dynamics in the S4, even without the SD, is noticeably different fromany A4 that I have driven.

Think about the reverse of your analogy. Would adding the $1100 Sport Differential to an A4 S-line turn it into a S4? No chance.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
It all comes down to how you intend to use your car. If you track your S4 then I agree that sport diff is a must. For those of us that use our cars for our daily commute to and from work, sport diff is pointless, as I do not see too many orange cones on city roads and highways. I drive aggressively, very much so, but I don't need a sport diff to enjoy this great car during my 25 mile highway commute.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK10-S4P
my car handles great and I don't even have the sport diff!
Here's the rub. If you never had the sport dif, you will never know what you are missing. You don't know what you don't know
Old 12-12-2010, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AndyXXL
It all comes down to how you intend to use your car. If you track your S4 then I agree that sport diff is a must. For those of us that use our cars for our daily commute to and from work, sport diff is pointless, as I do not see too many orange cones on city roads and highways. I drive aggressively, very much so, but I don't need a sport diff to enjoy this great car during my 25 mile highway commute.

A camry can do a 25-mile highway commute like a champ, too.

Now, I can't really say for sure, since I'm still in the "speculating on a purchase" phase, but it's my understanding that the Sports diff, by vectoring torque to the outside rear wheel in a turn, increases rotation and decreases understeer. Is it going to make an objective difference in performance? That's debatable, but I think it would make the car much more responsive when you're really pushing it, since not all of the steering load is on the front tires.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy XXL
Sport dif is also a safety feature since it send the power to the wheel that has the most traction. I believe it is up to 100% to one wheel. If you don't' get the sport dif, the S4 will still be a great car. Just not as good as with the sport dif.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Excelsior7
A camry can do a 25-mile highway commute like a champ, too.

Now, I can't really say for sure, since I'm still in the "speculating on a purchase" phase, but it's my understanding that the Sports diff, by vectoring torque to the outside rear wheel in a turn, increases rotation and decreases understeer. Is it going to make an objective difference in performance? That's debatable, but I think it would make the car much more responsive when you're really pushing it, since not all of the steering load is on the front tires.
Yes, there are many cars out there that can do a 25-mile commute really well, but that's not the point. I'm sure you are not buying an S4 only for the sport diff, because there are many other advantages that our cars have over camrys, accords, etc. One of them is that they get to see your quad exhaust much more often than you get to see their boring rear end.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AndyXXL
Yes, there are many cars out there that can do a 25-mile commute really well, but that's not the point. I'm sure you are not buying an S4 only for the sport diff, because there are many other advantages that our cars have over camrys, accords, etc. One of them is that they get to see your quad exhaust much more often than you get to see their boring rear end.

My point was more that if we're talking about an option meant to increase performance in turns, urban highways maybe aren't the best way to qualify it.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Here's the rub. If you never had the sport dif, you will never know what you are missing. You don't know what you don't know
...but you do if you've driven both versions on multiple occasions. In my case, that's true.

Quick Reply: sports rear diff package, YES OR NO?