S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

sprint vs sepang

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sprint vs sepang

For those of you who have seen sepang in person, is it really a notch above any of the standard blues?

For US customers who have to pay the $2500 vig for a special order color, is it that much better than a sprint or even the old ocean blue and really worth the money?

I'm all over the map on what my next Audi will be.

Have a daytona gray S line A6 now, and might want to be a little more agressive on my next color, but just not sure.

I think any of the brigher blues would look great with the alum optic kit and just stand out a little more. But part of me thinks I'll grow old of sprint blue after a year or so.

Is sepang a little darker and richer, but just not as bright as the sprint? I might prefer that more.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
For those of you who have seen sepang in person, is it really a notch above any of the standard blues?

For US customers who have to pay the $2500 vig for a special order color, is it that much better than a sprint or even the old ocean blue and really worth the money?

Have a daytona gray S line A6 now, and might want to be a little more agressive on my next color, but just not sure.

I think any of the brigher blues would look great with the alum optic kit and just stand out a little more. But part of me thinks I'll grow old of sprint blue after a year or so.

Is sepang a little darker and richer, but just not as bright as the sprint? I might prefer that more.
Sprint seemed a bit bright for my taste, and I wasn't sold on any of the other colors, but once I saw pics of Sepang on an S4 I fell in love. I'll have some pics of my own hopefully late this year.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jperryrocks

I ordered the Sprint. I somewhat regret not ordering Sepang blue instead - I really do like it better.

I really wish I could get something looking more like Interlagos (BMW) though.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

Sepang looks different than Sprint by a fair amount. Sepang has a more of rich purple hue.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1080&bih=818
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i haven't seen sepang blue in person, but the pics i've seen look sweet. color is highly subjective, but for me personally, sprint blue was a bit too bubble gum (for lack of a better term!) for an S4. I would consider deep sea blue, but i had a blue-ish car two cars ago, so i passed.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sprint is an amazing color. I get compliments on mine all the time. Don't consider it too bright at all, and it doesn't seem any more flashy than the standard red.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m444
Sepang looks different than Sprint by a fair amount. Sepang has a more of rich purple hue.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1080&bih=818
damn. Sepang looks a lot like Interlagos. I definitely regret it now.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Leaving aside how useless it usually is to get another person's opinion about a color, I'll say that while Sepang is a nice color, I don't think it's worth 2500.00 to put it on an S4. You'd be adding about 5% to the price of the car. I'd put that money into other options/upgrades or your pocket if it were me.

I had a Nogaro B6 for 7 years. Having never seen the color in person when I ordered the car, it was a difficult decision for me. While I love light blue race cars, I was afraid it would look too bold or maybe even feminine (smurfy). The color was stunning in person and had a nice way of changing tone with lighting. Not once did I hear anything negative about it and I probably got at least one "amazing color dude" each month. While I'm still smitten with Nogaro, I did get a little tired of having the only car that color in town ("hey, I saw your car down at blah blah"). Nogaro is simply a special color, as are a few others on the Audi menu. I would consider paying extra for a color like that.

My new S4 is in Deep Sea Blue, and honestly I like the color as much as Sepang Blue on my R8. They are both nice colors, but not really unique like Nogaro. I don't find myself staring at my car just to soak in the color like I did with my old S4. While Sprint is a different color than Nogaro, the lightness is similar. I wouldn't hesitate to get Sprint Blue if you want a catchy color. I doubt you will find it too flashy. It's just fun like Red or Imola.

Last edited by Songer; 09-21-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm a diehard blue car guy, but Sprint was just not for me. Too bright. Sepang would have been my choice if I was custom ordering, but there is absolutely nothing in me that can come up with a way to justify spending $2500 on a color. So I ended up with Quartz Gray. It was the only color offered on the S4 that I liked, other than Ibis White. And since my previous MKV GTI was Candy White, I wasn't doing another white car (probably never will again). Audi should have at least offered Santorin or some other similar blue shade on the B8's. Sprint and Deep Sea Blue are two totally different ends of the spectrum, with nothing in between.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

My old B5 S4 was Santorin blue, which was a nice looking color, but it was harder to keep clean looking than White, Gray or Silver. If Jet Blue had been a normal color option, I would have picked that color. Color preference is very subjective & depends on one's mood.

Quick Reply: sprint vs sepang