S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Squeaky brakes, "part x"...resolution

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brake dust is very adhesive, using compressed air will just disperse it and make it likely to reattach where you don't want it (on paint, stuck in grease elsewhere on the car or other cars) - which will cause a lot more problems.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took mine in for this same issue, I took the tech out for a drive, he heard the brakes, said this is not right. He pulled the front wheel off and said there is rust on the rotor, we need to clear it off. He took it out for a drive and did some hard ABS stops, problem gone. Technically, doing some hard stops will clear the rotors off just like sanding the rotors. I have not had any brake squealing ever since. Note that this is just like bedding the brakes. One of the SAs at the dealer told me there was a TSB on this, but couldn't find it. He told me "you need to drive the car as it was designed. You need to make hard stops and hard accelerations. This is a perfomance car, not an Accord. Too many people do this and complain when their brakes squeak. I had a person try to return his R8 as he said the brakes squeak too much." The brake pad material on some of these cars is very hard and needs some hard braking to get broken in.

Bruce
Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

rust can quickly appear on all rotors- i sometimes see it on my Q7, on my Cobra, and they do not squeal (high performance brakes on the Cobra, mind you...). My SA thought the same thing regarding rust, but he was going to check anyway...

for an SA to tell you that the car "should be driven the way it was meant to" sounds somewhat unprofessional to me also. sorry- if someone would have told me that, i would have probably reminded him that not all customers drive their "S" cars hard. Keep in mind also, the TSB listed above (which does include the "/6") was for an A6, not an S/RS model.

I understand and agree with the concept of the bedding, or cleaning of the rotors--however, sometimes squealing doesn't just come from the rotors/pads-- just wanted to be sure the dealer checked it and fixed it, and sent the data back up the line so Audi can be aware of it.

I know you know this, but i will say it anyway (especially for others who get frustrated with their cars...)- there is no trouble-free car; there is no trouble-free manufacturer. However if you give them feedback on the issues, they will address them (at least the good manufacturers do...).

And before the naysayers jump in, we know there are exceptions to every general rule...

At the very least, many have complained about the squeal, one poster asked me recently to share what i had asked the dealer to inspect- and did. Hopefully this helps my fellow AW'ers....
Old 01-18-2010, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

From what I have seen, after about 1K miles or so these brakes will stop squeaking whether you take any action not. Mine have been squeak (squeal) free for since about 500 miles (2000 miles on car now). The brakes had several hard stops just before 500 miles though.

Bruce
Old 01-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Glad Audi is Listening

My 2 cents here: I'm a very reasonable guy and am quite willing to make certain trade offs to achieve various levels of performance in a vehicle. My car squeaked on the test drive and I reviewed this phenomenon with the service advisor before signing. I was informed of the high metalic make up of the pads and told there would be transient brake noise from time to time, he described the bedding process to me and gave me the same rundown about how the vehicle needs to be driven like a performance vehicle.... No problem for me! I drive and brake with great spirit.

After 1900 miles and numerous bedding attempts that were followed in accordance with instructions from the service advisor, (and matched those found on stoptech's website)...persistent, unacceptably loud, horrible squealing.

After firm pressure on my part, the Dealer performed a process that was essentially this tsb before it was a tsb - and the noise is gone.

My point after all of this, is that there appear to be some of us who are sane, rational folks who have had this squeal worse than others - it benefits us all to bring anything that is unacceptable tactfully to the dealers attention and not let them just slide by with talk of it being normal.

Thanks for posting the tsb!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
From what I have seen, after about 1K miles or so these brakes will stop squeaking whether you take any action not. Mine have been squeak (squeal) free for since about 500 miles (2000 miles on car now). The brakes had several hard stops just before 500 miles though.

Bruce
It's odd that some people have had success with this and others have not. I am like Bruce in that a few bedding procedures (3 times), my squeal just magically disappeared at around 900 miles and hasn't come back.

I'd highly recommend to those that are continuing to have the squeal is try bedding again before doing the TSB. The TSB posted in this thread looks pretty invasive and there are numerous steps I can see the techs not giving 100% on.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just tried calling SA and they don't have such a TSB on their system yet so no dice...hope it filters through soon
Old 01-19-2010, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Two S4s---two different experiences...

I test drove two S4s last week-same dealer and same day...

One was the 6MT and the other was with the STronic...

One had quiet brakes, the other had the nasty, high-pitched squeal.

How can we explain this?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i believe all SA's access the same system, so if one sees it, they should all.

I would bet that Audi simply referred my SA to the TSB already posted (for the A6) to see if this is the fix that will work on our cars also.

The fewer TSB's listed for your vehicle, the better it "appears"?????
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

the same as we are talking about this here on AW--- some of us have it, some of us don't (and don't "yet"...)

Could be due to manufacturing tolerances (however minute they be)???

Quick Reply: Squeaky brakes, "part x"...resolution