S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Squeaky brakes, "part x"...resolution

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAS5
the same as we are talking about this here on AW--- some of us have it, some of us don't (and don't "yet"...)

Could be due to manufacturing tolerances (however minute they be)???
Some owners/members have speculated that certain factors such as humidity, the last time the car was driven, etc. could play a role....in my test drives, these factors were identical.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Brake Squeal TSB

Audi has generally had a standing TSB for all models w/ the squeal for years - saw one for 97. They did it on my previous A4 at about 13K and it went away for about 10K and came back at which point I decided not to worry (seemed to be less obnoxious the second time) - any way the rotors on our particular S4 did not have any cross hatching on them from the factory, I guess their intent is that the pads and disks will eventually mate themselves without the roughness, but my previous experience is smooth rotors + new pads = nasty squeal, thus if you have rotors turned, it's very good practice to cross hatch them prior to installing, less the squeal. Any way the tsb is rough the rotors (cross-hatch surface) chamfer the pads and install disk brake grease between the pads and caliper.

the various tsb's are out there on the net (audi brake squeal) works

P.S. our car didn't do it during the test drive but sure did it on the way to its new garage and hasn't let up since
Old 01-20-2010, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
From what I have seen, after about 1K miles or so these brakes will stop squeaking whether you take any action not.
Mine actually didn't start squeaking until ~12k miles and haven't stopped since, coinciding (as mentioned elsewhere) with lowering daily temperatures.

Hopefully this TSB (once I get round to having it done) will address the issue once and for all!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine started at 250 miles and its soooo annoying.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moresnow .::..::..::
Mine started at 250 miles and its soooo annoying.
My brakes haven't squeaked at all since the weather warmed up ( over 50). In fact, I haven't heard anything in over a week.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default the brake tech order does exist

it was performed on our car and the squeek audible for blocks is gone.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Very Dissapointed in my dealers' response. They said drive fast and hit the brakes in a parking lot and that should fix the problem. "If this doesn't work wait till your 5k service and we can fix it" Mind you this was the sales guy.... seriously Really?

BS!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Moresnow .::..::..::
Very Dissapointed in my dealers' response. They said drive fast and hit the brakes in a parking lot and that should fix the problem. "If this doesn't work wait till your 5k service and we can fix it" Mind you this was the sales guy.... seriously Really?

BS!!!
Yeah, not the best response but they are correct. You really have to bed these brakes multiple times before the squeak goes away. I bedded mine 3 times the normal way with stops from 60mph -> 20 or 10mph hard brake like 8 times in a row. Not 3 stops in a row, not 4, but like at least 7-10 times. Do that once a week or once every few days and I think it will disappear for you just as it did for me.

I think the TSB procedures are invasive and risky and totally unnecessary if you bed the brakes correctly. I was horrified by the squeal for 1000 miles but it went away right around that mark since I think they were finally bedded appropriately.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zillmc
Yeah, not the best response but they are correct. You really have to bed these brakes multiple times before the squeak goes away. I bedded mine 3 times the normal way with stops from 60mph -> 20 or 10mph hard brake like 8 times in a row. Not 3 stops in a row, not 4, but like at least 7-10 times. Do that once a week or once every few days and I think it will disappear for you just as it did for me.

I think the TSB procedures are invasive and risky and totally unnecessary if you bed the brakes correctly. I was horrified by the squeal for 1000 miles but it went away right around that mark since I think they were finally bedded appropriately.

I do notice that when i do brake 7 to 10 times (like in my commute to work) the squeaky squeaky goes away.

So I guess the response is kinda correct but the manner it was said in a customer relations sorta way doesn't match the brand equity of audi and did a disservice to the fixed operations side of the house.

Note: With my old s60r it squeaked like a small rabbit nest being slaughtered by an owl and they did the whole invasive breakdown rebuild and honestly it seamed to create more problems until an engineer came out.

I will deal with the noise and will wait to get these bedded.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good call, stick with it even though it is frustrating. I was very disappointed with the loudness and what not after spending $60K on a car and being told it's normal; not an easy pill to swallow.

Just keep doing the bedding procedure each time the squeal comes back and is really bad. It took me like 3-4 times as I have mentioned. You may even want to do the 8-10 stops, let the brakes cool for 5-10 minutes and do it again and consider that as one attempt to bed the brakes.

Here's a site with the procedures I used if you need it:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Quick Reply: Squeaky brakes, "part x"...resolution