S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Squeaky brakes, "part x"...resolution

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, why on earth would an owner of a brand new $60k car take the time to "repeatedly" bed their own brakes? So what if this solution might ultimately work? some say it hasn't.

The TSB exists, and works. contrary to those who believe that it is invasive, it is not, and is a relatively simply process. Ye have little faith in the dealer.

BTW, there is nothing magical about the 1000 mile mark. It has to do with your braking frequency and usage.

TSB and be done with it.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would TSB it but the dealer is being stubborn as usual.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default AoA

If the dealer is not responding, or is saying -- they all do that -- talk w/ AoA, and from personal experience, this particular problem will be solved and the less than an hour labor tech order will be done
Old 01-26-2010, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IAS5
Again, why on earth would an owner of a brand new $60k car take the time to "repeatedly" bed their own brakes? So what if this solution might ultimately work? some say it hasn't.

The TSB exists, and works. contrary to those who believe that it is invasive, it is not, and is a relatively simply process. Ye have little faith in the dealer.

BTW, there is nothing magical about the 1000 mile mark. It has to do with your braking frequency and usage.

TSB and be done with it.
Because if you know anything about the brakes, they are SUPPOSED to be bedded, especially performance brakes that come on the S4. They are performance brakes that the dealer, AoA, or anyone who cares to know a little bit more about their own car other than "hey that's pretty, expensive, and gets a lot of hype!" will tell you need to be bedded. This is what every dealer has said to people who bring their car in for the problem. Did you even read the first steps of the Audi TSB that's posted on this thread? It says to, "Perform 2-3 ABS stop from above 50mph, then allow components to cool. If necessary, perform additional ABS stops and allow cooling time." That sounds a lot like bedding the brakes to me.

The TSB is stupid and invasive and totally unnecessary in my opinion, and obviously in the dealer's and tech's opinion which is why they won't just take you right in and do it for you. Instead they tell you to bed the brakes. All they are doing is forcibly doing what bedding procedures would do. So taking off my wheels and filing down and sand my brake pads is not invasive? Using high temperature grease that can VERY easily get on the rotors/discs/pad/calipers is also not invasive? Hah, no thanks.

I'm sorry but plain and simple this TSB is for lazy, finicky, and impatient owners who don't know jack about the car they are driving and refuse to listen to what their dealer tells them to do before having the TSB done.

Case and point from Bruce's response:

Originally Posted by rktskicar
One of the SAs at the dealer told me there was a TSB on this, but couldn't find it. He told me "you need to drive the car as it was designed. You need to make hard stops and hard accelerations. This is a perfomance car, not an Accord. Too many people do this and complain when their brakes squeak. I had a person try to return his R8 as he said the brakes squeak too much."

Bruce

Last edited by zillmc; 01-26-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah, yeah, i know quite enough about brakes, the bedding procedures, high performance cars.... i've own(ed) quite a few high performance Audis, as well as other brands for over 25 years, and worked on them as well.

And, no, not every dealer has said for the owner to bed them.

You're missing the point of the original post... mine, mind you...that there is a TSB for those who wish to pursue the mfr/dealer route that "does" work. You're really making a big deal about this procedure being invasive, and it really is not. I did it, as well as others, and my car is just fine. Would you even know what would be wrong with your brakes if they didn't do it correctly? Please don't say "my car might not slow properly." And a reminder----it is under warranty. It's best you have them be responsible for it from the beginning.

Some people just don't have the ability to perform these stop-n-go runs due to their place of residence- a big city, for example; some just don't want the risk of bedding them incorrectly (you seem like an expert- I'm sure you know that can happen too).

Maybe those who hold the mfr/dealer accountable do not want to take on "any" risk or liability themselves, when they shouldn't really have to- regardless if they could do the bedding procedures themselves. They don't need to listen to the dealer as to how to fix their own problem.

Additionally, if bedding the brakes was the 'only' solution, the TSB (which i did read) would have stopped there.

BTW, the TSB does not say have the "customer" do the bedding. And if "you" read the TSB, the first part (bedding) is to clean the discs. It then goes on to address the pads in the following steps. Some people have mentioned that bedding them eliminated the noise (cleaned the discs; transfered material from pad to disc), then only to state the noise came back.

If you've been following this issue, people have asked that if someone came up with a dealer solution to please share it. And that's what i did.

If bedding works/worked for you, GREAT. For all others who want the dealer to take care of it, the TSB is there. As for your "lazy, finicky, impatient..." comment, you are merely showing your lack of respect for other people as to how they choose to deal with car issues.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Bedding didn't do squat for me

After 1st talking w/ dealer and reading these various posts (incl. stopteck bedding procedure) I decided to take my life into my hands and brake from 60 - 10 10 times in my car with less than 200 mi. on it to see if it makes any difference. After about 10 miles, bedding and letting the brakes cool to the point I was sure the pads wouldn't weld themselves to the disks when I stopped, I checked the brakes, yes the front disks were now bluish gray and I though cool, doing somewhat irresponsible breaking on a somewhat deserted icy road probably solved the problem. Did at least learn from stoptech that the best way to screw up brakes is to get them hot and come to a complete stop.

about 10 miles later the front brakes were again howling

took it to the dealer (after talking w/ AoA) and they said they fixed (initially indicated they actually did something) but when I got there to pick up said all was supposedly required was hard breaking (I thought B.S., was a bit pissed that they probably took 5,000 miles of tread off my winter tires, but what ever), made it about 1.5 mi before the howl was back.

called AoA, indicated the B.S. part and asked why the tech didn't go for a ride with me to be sure the problem was solved.

Got a call the next day, bring it back.

2nd time they did the t.o. which is basically de-glazing the pads and rotors as well as putting (Audi) brake grease where the pads contact the caliper.

The howl is gone, at least for now, and for me it worked, where the 'bedding' procedure didn't.

BTW AoA indicated the reverse bedding procedure is the one of choice to try and usually fixes or minimizes the squeal.

Not sure of the actual severity of some of the reports it the posts but if it is a tolerable squeal (the one barely audible from inside the car) my guess is bedding probably fixes, and my previous Audi's have all exhibited the slight squeal at various temps. If, however it's the howl our car was blessed with (audible from blocks away and so loud you can't converse over the hands free when breaking) it sure is nice once its finally gone
Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ATTABOY-----glad to see that someone, firsthand, mentioned that the squeal can come back. thank you for sharing your comments. Way to pursue it too, by simply not accepting the dealer'[s first response.

This is why i say let the dealer fix it- gets you out of the liability loop- you don't need to be in a position to possibly damage your brakes by trying to fix them.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well my car is in as I type for the dreaded squeak. Service Tech showed me the rust on rotors and said they would essentially perform the TSB. I am hoping this resolves issue.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

rust will appear quite often on discs, and it is usually taken off by the application of the brakes very easily.

Although it easy to see on the surface of the rotors, i can see how the tech can be point to as the cause of the problem--sometimes it is- but i really do not think our dreaded squeal has to do with the rust.

I suspect it has to do with the edge of the pads, and the slight chamfering in the TSB that cures it.

good luck, let us know if it gets cured!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just got it back and don't hear the squeak. I hope it stays that way. I was in such a rush forgot to ask exactly what they did. Will try to find out after I am sure this worked and post.

Originally Posted by IAS5
rust will appear quite often on discs, and it is usually taken off by the application of the brakes very easily.

Although it easy to see on the surface of the rotors, i can see how the tech can be point to as the cause of the problem--sometimes it is- but i really do not think our dreaded squeal has to do with the rust.

I suspect it has to do with the edge of the pads, and the slight chamfering in the TSB that cures it.

good luck, let us know if it gets cured!

Quick Reply: Squeaky brakes, "part x"...resolution