S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

"Squiggles" in tint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Squiggles" in tint?

At work right now so I can't post pictures, but do any of you guys with tint notice vertical squiggles on your door windows? I can only notice it when the sun hits the window in a certain light, but not at all during the night. It's about 5-8 inches in height and 1 inch wide, in a squiggle/continuous figure 8 pattern.

It's not a scratch, just more of a blemish or distortion of the tint. However, the tint is completely flush to the window and is smooth to the touch, leading me to believe there is no damage to the tint.

I'm thinking that maybe the mechanism which open/closes the window is causing squiggle blemishes to show up, since it's apparent on all four door windows. Or maybe the tint did not cure properly after installation, but this is doubtful considering I didn't roll my windows up or down for a week after installation, which is much longer than recommended.

I'll try to get some pictures to show you what I mean, but it might be hard to capture.

Kyee, if you're reading this, I'm extra interested to see what you have to say since we got our tint done at the same place.

Will try to get pictures this weekend.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, mine look great 5 months later, not a blemish, and they took the tint right up to the edge of the glass, very well done. The only issue I have is the rear glass - the defrost grid is so raised that it doesn't fit a snug around this as it could.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
No, mine look great 5 months later, not a blemish, and they took the tint right up to the edge of the glass, very well done. The only issue I have is the rear glass - the defrost grid is so raised that it doesn't fit a snug around this as it could.
re: the rear window, what's the preferred technique for applying tint to windows with defroster wires? Is is a single piece of film over the wires or strips of film abuting the wires?

I had a car once that was done the latter manner.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Single sheet of tint, for the entire rear window, is the sign of a good tint shop...

assuming they pull it off, of course
Old 05-21-2010, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pavils
Single sheet of tint, for the entire rear window, is the sign of a good tint shop...

assuming they pull it off, of course
Yep

Mine did a great job, they pulled the headlinler loose in the back and put the tint over the entire glass in one sheet rather than doing a hack job and cutting the space out around the bezel for the rear 3rd brake light. Our cars have a b*tch of a rear window to do with the degree of slope and how little room there is at the lower edge of the rear glass though. Get a very good shop to do yours. Another thing to be aware of is that any installer that is too liberal with water in application will likely blow your Amp, it's mounted in an area where the water on the back window tends to run to, so talk to them about this and have them cover it with plastic and towels as a precaution.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShadowJet
At work right now so I can't post pictures, but do any of you guys with tint notice vertical squiggles on your door windows? I can only notice it when the sun hits the window in a certain light, but not at all during the night. It's about 5-8 inches in height and 1 inch wide, in a squiggle/continuous figure 8 pattern.

It's not a scratch, just more of a blemish or distortion of the tint. However, the tint is completely flush to the window and is smooth to the touch, leading me to believe there is no damage to the tint.

I'm thinking that maybe the mechanism which open/closes the window is causing squiggle blemishes to show up, since it's apparent on all four door windows. Or maybe the tint did not cure properly after installation, but this is doubtful considering I didn't roll my windows up or down for a week after installation, which is much longer than recommended.

I'll try to get some pictures to show you what I mean, but it might be hard to capture.

Kyee, if you're reading this, I'm extra interested to see what you have to say since we got our tint done at the same place.

Will try to get pictures this weekend.
Polarized sunglasses will cause a funny effect. Were you wearing your glasses?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
Polarized sunglasses will cause a funny effect. Were you wearing your glasses?
Nope, naked eye =(
Old 05-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Yep

Mine did a great job, they pulled the headlinler loose in the back and put the tint over the entire glass in one sheet rather than doing a hack job and cutting the space out around the bezel for the rear 3rd brake light. Our cars have a b*tch of a rear window to do with the degree of slope and how little room there is at the lower edge of the rear glass though. Get a very good shop to do yours. Another thing to be aware of is that any installer that is too liberal with water in application will likely blow your Amp, it's mounted in an area where the water on the back window tends to run to, so talk to them about this and have them cover it with plastic and towels as a precaution.
great info, thanks for the tips
Old 05-26-2010, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll go outside and check now...
Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can't see anything. take a picture of yours so I know what I'm looking for.

Quick Reply: "Squiggles" in tint?