S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Stalls after start up

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalls after start up

Driving my 2011 S4 today. All of sudden, pulling out normally into traffic, in fact, a bit slower than usual due to the winter weather, the car stalls and dies. Luckily nobody was coming down the road quickly, I popped it into neutral and the slight hill rolled me back onto my subdivision's road. After several failed tries, I got it started and got it back home.

After that, it would start, but then stall out after about 30 seconds just sitting in the driveway in Park.

No indicator lights, nothing. I did just fill it with gas and got a car wash. Temperatures were in the 20's - cold, but not extreme. There was snow that morning, but didn't hit any ice or anything.

Just got the car in June, about 7500 miles. Worked fine that morning to/from work.

Any ideas of what might be the issue?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Fuel pump would be my guess. There have been some faulty ones out there. Take it to the dealer A S A P!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck! Report back with issue reported by dealer.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Control unit for the fuel pump....
Old 01-18-2012, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
Control unit for the fuel pump....
Ahhh.... close enough...yeah there have been a few of those too!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
Ahhh.... close enough...yeah there have been a few of those too!
I'll give you the prize! :-). Is it an actual computer chip? circuit board?

Service said that they have to get a new one from Germany....may take a week....the A4 loaner they gave me smells like a smokers' gym shoes...

Audi called my home phone while I was at work to get feedback...lady asked if we had read the manual, the "part about the battery and making sure it doesn't run down". Wife replied "lady, my husband spent the entire night sitting in that car reading the manual after her got it.....if there was traffic on that four lane road we were pulling out onto we would have gotten hit and likely hurt or killed....my husband loves that car and he is very upset". I think she was just as upset as I was.

While upset, and I do love the car, but it is still a car...I am also glad it's something that, after it gets fixed, that I can trust he car again, as it does not sound like too common of a problem. There is no worse feeling than hitting the gas pulling out onto 55mph traffic and then the car dies...we were really lucky...
Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
I'll give you the prize! :-). Is it an actual computer chip? circuit board?

Service said that they have to get a new one from Germany....may take a week....the A4 loaner they gave me smells like a smokers' gym shoes...

Audi called my home phone while I was at work to get feedback...lady asked if we had read the manual, the "part about the battery and making sure it doesn't run down". Wife replied "lady, my husband spent the entire night sitting in that car reading the manual after her got it.....if there was traffic on that four lane road we were pulling out onto we would have gotten hit and likely hurt or killed....my husband loves that car and he is very upset". I think she was just as upset as I was.

While upset, and I do love the car, but it is still a car...I am also glad it's something that, after it gets fixed, that I can trust he car again, as it does not sound like too common of a problem. There is no worse feeling than hitting the gas pulling out onto 55mph traffic and then the car dies...we were really lucky...
Glad you are OK! Man that could have turned out ugly! I would have pressed Audi Customer Service for Free Audi Care or Certify the car to 100K for ALMOST GETTING KILLED!!! Those A$$HOLES! Audi's loaners are hit and miss. Smelly nasty base A4 is unacceptable! I would be Bitchin'!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
Glad you are OK! Man that could have turned out ugly! I would have pressed Audi Customer Service for Free Audi Care or Certify the car to 100K for ALMOST GETTING KILLED!!! Those A$$HOLES! Audi's loaners are hit and miss. Smelly nasty base A4 is unacceptable! I would be Bitchin'!
They called when I wasn't home, but the wife did give them hell. Will see what they are like when I pick it up.

Part of the problem is that I absolutely adore the car, and since the issue was, in the words of another poster, a "plug and play" problem, a new chip, circuit board or whatever it the controller is, should fix the issue. I think I was so glad to find out that it wasn't something mechanical or such, that everything else kind of didn't matter. I know, sad...