S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Standard Suspension vs. Drive Select

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard Suspension vs. Drive Select

Has anyone driven both the standard suspension and the drive select option?

Would you say the standard suspension is close to 'dynamic' or 'comfort'? Or something else? I'm debating getting the Drive Select option, but am wondering how the normal suspension stacks up?

I've driven the car without drive select, and loved it, but it leaves me wondering how much better it could get ...

Anyone know?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I drove an ADS model, testing the different settings comfort, auto, dynamic and custom (not sure those were the exact titles but you get the idea). Immediately after I tested a model without ADS or sport differential. I thought the standard suspension was in between comfort and auto. The sales manager agreed, but not sure if he was just being agreeable. FYI, I thought comfort was easy-going, and auto and especially dynamic were pretty stiff. If my memory is correct, dynamic is stiffer than either a Cayman or Carrera.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alsatian
I drove an ADS model, testing the different settings comfort, auto, dynamic and custom (not sure those were the exact titles but you get the idea). Immediately after I tested a model without ADS or sport differential. I thought the standard suspension was in between comfort and auto. The sales manager agreed, but not sure if he was just being agreeable. FYI, I thought comfort was easy-going, and auto and especially dynamic were pretty stiff. If my memory is correct, dynamic is stiffer than either a Cayman or Carrera.
Would you mind elaborating on your last sentence? I'm curious what you mean by if your memory is correct.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
Would you mind elaborating on your last sentence? I'm curious what you mean by if your memory is correct.
Sure.

After driving the two S4s, I drove a Cayman (not S) because they are both about the same price. The Cayman had the standard suspension without PASM or Chrono so there were no adjustments. I am pretty confident that the dynamic setting on audi is stiffer than the Cayman. Not so sure about the Carrera since it has been a while, but judging from your signature I imagine you're more interested in the Cayman.

For what it's worth, I thought the comparison between the two cars was interesting. The audi has more room for the driver (not as cramped - I'm 6'3"), has a backseat, has great torque and handles very well. Sounds like the better car in many ways... but nothing corners like the Cayman... it's absolutely amazing.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Alsatian
The audi has more room for the driver (not as cramped - I'm 6'3"), has a backseat, has great torque and handles very well. Sounds like the better car in many ways... but nothing corners like the Cayman... it's absolutely amazing.
I'm looking forward to test-driving the new S4, and seeing for myself how ADS compares to PASM.

I'm interested you chose to compare the S4 to the Cayman. I'm not planning on leaving my CS any time soon, but the new 3.0T engine does interest me, and I'm a long-time Audi guy. I think Audi is certainly heading in the right direction with the supercharged 6 over their V-8's...

Last edited by Speedy; 08-24-2009 at 12:18 PM.