S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Stasis tuned S4. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stasis tuned S4. Worth it?

I know this is probably a very common question, but I had a problem with search and I'm working on a tight time schedule.

Background info: I'm consolidating a couple of cars in trade-in and I'm replacing them with either a BMW M3, MB C63, or S4. I spent a lot of time at the Audi dealership and I really like the S4, but I would like a little more kick if I can get it.

The dealer told me about the Stasis touring, and it sounds interesting. Looking through the list it looks like a lot of stuff that I could do myself if I had the time or inclination, but then again I keep a warranty.

What is the forum stand on the Stasis tune?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the ECU done by Stasis/Audi Dealer and I love it. I did an aftermarket exhaust (Miltek non-res) and intake on my own. The combo of all 3 is awesome. And, it is not just me, I had 2 friends drive before and after and they were in awe. The warranty thing is still a little iffy even with the Audi dealer doing the Stasis, but I believe if there is a problem they will work it out with Stasis without too much of a hassle. Go for it, the car is awesome and you'll love it that way.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. I should point out that the package has ECU, exhaust, suspension, and wheels all in one. I think that is just what they call the "touring package", but I'm completely new to Audi and Stasis. It doesn't feel terribly cost effective, but I'm not as interested in doing the work myself nowadays.

Does anyone have any feedback on the lowered ride with the Stasis touring? I was able to drive an S4 (and S5), and look/listen to a Stasis S4, but not drive one. I am not sensitive to rougher riding cars, but I want to make sure it doesn't crack my skull over every speed bump.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rumor is the stasis tune is actually an APR 91 tune. I bought my S4 with the Stasis touring pkg, (wheels, badges, exhaust, tune, drop) I negotiated well (IMO) and ended up only adding 5000 for the pkg (includes labor as well) because they wanted to move the car.
I already have 2 project cars that take up my free time so I opted for a pkg car that I can enjoy NOW instead of, " well, once I get the drop on there and pick out wheels, ect..." that I like to trick myself into thinking.

Just my experience.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 396ci
Rumor is the stasis tune is actually an APR 91 tune. I bought my S4 with the Stasis touring pkg, (wheels, badges, exhaust, tune, drop) I negotiated well (IMO) and ended up only adding 5000 for the pkg (includes labor as well) because they wanted to move the car.
I already have 2 project cars that take up my free time so I opted for a pkg car that I can enjoy NOW instead of, " well, once I get the drop on there and pick out wheels, ect..." that I like to trick myself into thinking.

Just my experience.
Oh, rear stabilizer bar as well.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zaxxon82

Does anyone have any feedback on the lowered ride with the Stasis touring? I was able to drive an S4 (and S5), and look/listen to a Stasis S4, but not drive one. I am not sensitive to rougher riding cars, but I want to make sure it doesn't crack my skull over every speed bump.
THe drop is just right, IMO at about 1.2" lower than stock. The 20" wheels are classy and fitment is pretty good. Not flush but it's OK for a driven car. I rub slightly in the front when coming off odd graded curbings while the wheels are turned, but that kinda goes with the territory with lowered cars.

The suspension is softer on the S4 than my old 350z by a longshot. Good street feel without being harsh though, if it was any lower, you would need to stiffen up the dampers for sure.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, you can do better purchasing options a la carte. I would at all costs avoid the Stasis exhaust. It's generally regarded as the worst of the aftermarket options, and an exhaust is not going to affect warranty coverage. AWE, APR, and Milltek are all superior in sound and volume.

The tune is a re-branded APR 91 tune. You lose your Audi powertrain warranty and have it replaced with a Stasis warranty which is supposed to cover you in the event Audi denies coverage. I have, however, heard of at least one instance where a Stasis tuned car had a problem with the ECU and Audi blamed the tune while Stasis said the tune was fine. Not sure how it eventually was sorted out but it seemed like a headache.

Alternatively, APR has multiple octanes and program switching will be available any day now, enabling you to switch between 4 of stock, 91, 93, 100, and valet mode. Essentially, you'll be able to pick a security code of your choice that you can input with the cruise stalk and put your car in stock mode and the dealer will not be able to tell you have a tune. Only potential issues there would be if you ended up with a catastrophic and costly drivetrain failure and AoA (not your dealer) decided to dig much deeper into your ECU.

Either tune is going to be safe and won't cause a failure, but IMO, if you go APR wait a few thousand miles just to be sure your drivetrain doesn't have any manufacturing defects. There have been a couple reported instances of internal engine failures on pretty new S4s, but it seems to be pretty rare and not out of line with industry failure rates. That kind of thing would uncover itself within the first 5000 miles or so, and after that you should be clear sailing for a while until gaskets, etc. start wearing out well past the warranty period.

I will say that I haven't heard many complaints about the touring suspension package, but there are cheaper aftermarket spring options, and suspension is not something that requires a warranty claim too often. The wheels are also nice, well made, and look like they fit well, but they are costlier than other options
Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nice summary Helix, well said.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Go with APR. Program switching will be awesome when it comes out.

If you go with Stasis you know you will loose your Audi warranty...if you go with APR there is a very good chance your dealership will never know you got a tune and you will still have your Audi warranty.

Advice on building a better ride is a good recommendation IMO.

I do love the Stasis wheels though!

I've heard of some drone with the Stasis exhaust...but recently they claim it's been fixed...have not heard or seen a video proving otherwise though.

The S4 is sneaky fast stock...get a tune and it really comes alive!!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by helix139
I would at all costs avoid the Stasis exhaust. It's generally regarded as the worst of the aftermarket options, and an exhaust is not going to affect warranty coverage. AWE, APR, and Milltek are all superior in sound and volume.
Out of interest, what is so bad about the Stasis exhaust ?

Quick Reply: Stasis tuned S4. Worth it?