S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Stasis tuned S4. Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James P.
Out of interest, what is so bad about the Stasis exhaust ?
Listen for yourself...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2786911

Although Stasis has since revised their exhaust (after a rather infamous thread on Audizine where they displayed some remarkably poor service towards a customer who had bad droning problems), their exhaust was the quietest of the group and that revision did have droning problems.

The newest revision is supposed to fix the drone, but it's also worth noting that the exhaust does NOT include any sort of downpipes unless you get the $2000 DSG version. It's also narrower (2.25") than the offerings from Milltek (2.36") or APR (2.5").
Old 08-18-2011, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zaxxon82
...The dealer told me about the Stasis touring, and it sounds interesting. Looking through the list it looks like a lot of stuff that I could do myself if I had the time or inclination, but then again I keep a warranty.

What is the forum stand on the Stasis tune?
I find it ironic that people who haven't driven the STaSIS-fettled car would criticize it, but I digress....

My car has the STaSIS Touring package (sans exhaust), and I find it to be extremely well integrated. The stance and handling are perfect - lower and flatter than stock, but still comfortable and compliant enough for daily driving. I've also had my car on the track, and it felt nigh-invincible there.

You're right - you could build a car with individual components from other companies for less, but there's no guarantee that the results would be as seamless as STaSIS's package.

To me, Audis' refinement and overall slickness are defining features of the brand. The STaSIS stuff maintains those characteristics while upping the ante in all aspects of performance.

Did you catch the Motor Trend test of the Challenge Edition? Worth reading:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t/viewall.html
Old 08-18-2011, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

While I do believe that the Stasis packages do indeed improve the car significantly, other routes seem more feasible in my eyes.

First, many will agree, Stasis is overpriced. Second, their "warranty" is debatable. Nobody has really publicly had a warranty issue that was covered by Stasis. Lastly, their customer service is questionable. They seem to like giving people the run-around.

Stasis offers some great stuff but their products somewhat limit your car if you plan on continuing to upgrade in the future. For instance, an APR tune means: future program switching of different octane tunes, a pulley tune, test pipe files, etc. Stasis, on the other hand, is "APR 91" and that's it, no potential for a pulley tune (as of now).

Personally, OP, I would start with a stock car, get a rear sway, KW V3 Coilovers (if you are willing to drop that kind of money on them), APR tune, APR Pulley, an exhaust of your choosing, and go on from there.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
I find it ironic that people who haven't driven the STaSIS-fettled car would criticize it, but I digress....

My car has the STaSIS Touring package (sans exhaust), and I find it to be extremely well integrated. The stance and handling are perfect - lower and flatter than stock, but still comfortable and compliant enough for daily driving. I've also had my car on the track, and it felt nigh-invincible there.

You're right - you could build a car with individual components from other companies for less, but there's no guarantee that the results would be as seamless as STaSIS's package.

To me, Audis' refinement and overall slickness are defining features of the brand. The STaSIS stuff maintains those characteristics while upping the ante in all aspects of performance.

Did you catch the Motor Trend test of the Challenge Edition? Worth reading:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t/viewall.html
You hit the head of the nail. Stasis does not spend much money on R and D. They package aftermarket products produced by other manufacturers and make the entire upgrade as seamless as possible at the dealership.

That's part of the advantage of Stasis. If you want to get it all done as once and you don't have much care about what components get placed in the car (everything Stasis offers is pretty good) then this is a great route to take.

I have the APR 91 tune which what Stasis is repackaging and calling their own.

You can purchase Alcon brakes on your own or you can get the brake kit from Stasis. Basically they same thing.

So if you want a quick upgrade and you are not picky about what goes into your car then Stasis is not a bad answer. In fact it's a pretty good way to go.

If you want to pick and choose what items get placed in the car, if you care about the flexibility of the tune and exact matching to the fuel you have just put in your car (near future), if you care about the sound of the exhaust, if you want to pick a specific brake package, suspension bits, etc etc then there are other options.

Many of the guys who are posting on this thread have been around the B8 S4 for a long time and we have all benefited from others experiences. Most of us want to pick the tune, exhaust sound, etc so that is why you are getting many responses about taking delivery of the car stock and then taking your time to do that upgrades later. We think you might be more happy with the car in the end.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more thing re: the Stasis Alcon brakes-

While the rotors, calipers, etc. are fine and work well, the pad offerings by Stasis have left something to be desired in testing when it comes to track use. Additionally, unlike the offerings by Brembo and Stoptech, the Alcons don't have dust boots meaning the calipers will need to be rebuilt every couple years, and I believe the rotor replacement cost is higher than the other offerings (though someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

I'll echo other thoughts that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Stasis and their products are usually above average and represent a well-integrated turn-key solution. You do, however, pay a premium for that turn-key solution, and outside of powertrain components like the tune the warranty is of little value as part failure is unlikely on springs, exhaust, etc. My feeling, which others echo, is that there is better value to be had by doing some research and finding the best components for your particular needs after spending some time with the car and figuring out what you like about it and what could be improved.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's a great thread on the Alcon's from AZ...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ke-Kit-Install
Old 08-18-2011, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zaxxon82
I know this is probably a very common question, but I had a problem with search and I'm working on a tight time schedule.

Background info: I'm consolidating a couple of cars in trade-in and I'm replacing them with either a BMW M3, MB C63, or S4. I spent a lot of time at the Audi dealership and I really like the S4, but I would like a little more kick if I can get it.
You might want to check out the 2012 C63 if you haven't yet if you decide not to go with the S4. Suppose to get a big update. The coupe looks pretty good. If I wasn't driving the S4 I'd be driving the C63. It's a totally different car in feel and philosophy though compared to the S4 though. The S4 is to a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and The C63 is to a souped-up Mustang. I think C63 is more fun than the S4 to drive around because of the big V8, torque, and RWD. I think the interior is more luxurious also. However, the S4 is more versatile, plenty fast for everyday use, and can be driven in all-weather with the right tires. S4 is the jack of all trades, C63 is the master of the burnout. The new M3 won't be out for a few years so I wouldn't even consider it.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is similar to the Dinan vs other Mfg on the BMW forums. I always had some fitment or other issues when I went away from Dinan. The Dinan stuff always fit right and worked as advertised, Dinan also was available through select dealers.

Everything I have read about Stasis in car mags was always very positive. If Audi USA allows dealers to sell and install "aftermarket" performance parts, that's the company I am going to look at first when I start tuning my S4.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I will throw one other suggestion our there for this thread.

If you really like the Stasis turn key approach, like the sound of the exhaust, etc then I would seriously consider getting everything Stasis except the tune.

The tune is the single most cost effective performance improver for the B8 S4. If you can get the same exact tune and get it directly from the folks who manufacturers that tune and have the ability to add program switching for the exact same cost and know you will have their support for years t come, why not purchase from them. www.goapr.com

Still get the suspension, brakes, exhaust, wheels, etc from Stasis...but consider getting the tune from APR. Most people who get locked in to the 91 tune will be wishing they had the ability to program switch once that feature gets released...and we are getting really close to that time when it will be available.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Progrm switching is just not that advantageous of an option. Now the pulley is a real reason to go APR if you want maximum power upgrades.

Quick Reply: Stasis tuned S4. Worth it?