S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Steering: dynamic vs comfort

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering: dynamic vs comfort

I have been playing around with the steering settings in my S4 on the ride home tonight.

I am starting to like the comfort setting better than the dynamic...it sort of feels that dynamic just has added weight...and nothing else. In comfort without the artificial weight it is easier to feel what the front feels are doing ... although I might be imaging it... i haven't tested extensively.

What are the forums thoughts on this?

Does the steering ratio change between dynamic and comfort?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audiblitz
I have been playing around with the steering settings in my S4 on the ride home tonight.

I am starting to like the comfort setting better than the dynamic...it sort of feels that dynamic just has added weight...and nothing else. In comfort without the artificial weight it is easier to feel what the front feels are doing ... although I might be imaging it... i haven't tested extensively.

Comfort makes the car feel like a boat, way way too loose steering, audi is already way behind the curve in steering heaviness, BMW and Porsche have much heavier wheels which makes them feel a lot more sporty. I only drive with dynamic steering and even in that setting its still not nearly as heavy as my mom's 335i convertible
Old 09-29-2011, 11:29 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

With Full ADS the ratio would be changed in addition to the steering boost. With just SD you only get the steering boost changes without the ratio change. (Unless you are non-US and have the stand alone option, but then you wouldn't be asking the question.)

Comfort is definitely more "floaty" feeling but seems good for highway cruising with traffic. Dynamic might be considered slightly "twitchy" on the highway.

I can't really notice a difference between auto and dynamic steering in normal driving. Although I bet at parking lot speeds dynamic steering would be too heavy whereas auto probably lightens to near comfort levels at very low speeds. I haven't really tried that yet but that is how the standard servotronic worked on my old A6.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:42 AM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Comfort feels very similar to my M3's default steering, i.e. you can steer with your pinky finger. Dynamic feels like pushing the M button (I think I had steering on sport plus). People complained that the default M3 steering was light as well, but at least its adjustable.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

i leave mine in auto....i must fail
Old 09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For everyday driving I have my "individual" settings set to engine (dynamic), steering (comfort), and sports diff (auto). It defaults to this when the car is turned on (via VCDS). When I drive aggressively, then I just click the button over to dynamic.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tried it more. Comfort ftw.

The dynamic setting is always heavy, even when the car is doing nothing strenuous. The comfort only gets heavy when you push it. YMMV. If I had ADS I would always have it in dynamic for the faster ratio.

How do you get it to stay in individual mode when you turn the car on? Do you have to have ADS to do this?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

^^you need a vag-com to have it start in individual mode.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm curious as to which mode is closest to the "standard" s4 feel. Comments?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tried it more. Comfort ftw.

The dynamic setting is always heavy, even when the car is doing nothing strenuous. The comfort only gets heavy when you push it. YMMV. If I had ADS I would always have it in dynamic for the faster ratio.

How do you get it to stay in individual mode when you turn the car on? Do you have to have ADS to do this?
Agreed - the dynamic "weight" doesn't improve feedback so it's not really a benefit. I leave mine set to individual:

Steering - comfort
Throttle - dynamic
Rear Diff - dynamic

When I'm on the highway cruising, I tend to put it in Comfort so as to maximize fuel economy.

Quick Reply: Steering: dynamic vs comfort