S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Stereo Rattling Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Rattling Noise

Every time I listen to anything with bass (and I'm not talking bass-heavy techno or rap, the bass in Howard Stern's voice makes it happen) there is an intense rattling from the front passenger door, specifically, I think, from the storage bin in the door. Has anyone else experienced this? Someone recommended I stuff I roll of paper towel in the storage bin for now, so I will try that on my way out tomorrow morning. Very annoying. I'm at about 700km and it just started doing it the other day.

Cheers
Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

turn up your stereo until you can't hear it.

more seriously: turn on your stereo and w/o driving car get your head closer to where that is rattling and see if you can isolate the issue.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's usually something very simple when it's a specific frequency rattling a baffle in the door panel.

Are your settings flat? Meaning the treble and bass are at twelve o clock. Make sure they are, as those are shelved EQ's and the offending frequency could be magnified many times if it got accidentally cranked.

Put a CD in and find a spot in the music that makes the rattle happen and bring that CD with you to the dealer so they can hear it with you. Otherwise they'll might be looking for a frequency that may or may not happen when you aren't there.

Good luck. I know how annoying that is.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by trigoe
It's usually something very simple when it's a specific frequency rattling a baffle in the door panel.

Are your settings flat? Meaning the treble and bass are at twelve o clock. Make sure they are, as those are shelved EQ's and the offending frequency could be magnified many times if it got accidentally cranked.

Put a CD in and find a spot in the music that makes the rattle happen and bring that CD with you to the dealer so they can hear it with you. Otherwise they'll might be looking for a frequency that may or may not happen when you aren't there.

Good luck. I know how annoying that is.
Guys, isn't (aren't) these sort of teething issues a) unnacceptable but more to the point b) under Warranty? No Custmer should have to ut up with rattling noise in speaker areas, IP A/C area rattle noises, non functioning headlight LEDs, etc., - the list goes on (as with other forum members). It's a luxury brand at luxury price and the Dealer , albeit Audi Inc., need to fix things the way they are intended to be delivered to Customer. Not sure what port of entry inspection Audi of America do, but for this level vehcile and brand it should be detailed enough to catch these things. I guess they're not doing much other than paperwork? :-( Maybe I'm of different mindset, but I look at such items with little sympathy for Dealer, 'it's broken, not caused by my doing, under Warranty - fix / replace it please'
Old 01-27-2010, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4Tokyo
Guys, isn't (aren't) these sort of teething issues a) unnacceptable but more to the point b) under Warranty? No Custmer should have to ut up with rattling noise in speaker areas, IP A/C area rattle noises, non functioning headlight LEDs, etc., - the list goes on (as with other forum members). It's a luxury brand at luxury price and the Dealer , albeit Audi Inc., need to fix things the way they are intended to be delivered to Customer. Not sure what port of entry inspection Audi of America do, but for this level vehcile and brand it should be detailed enough to catch these things. I guess they're not doing much other than paperwork? :-( Maybe I'm of different mindset, but I look at such items with little sympathy for Dealer, 'it's broken, not caused by my doing, under Warranty - fix / replace it please'

Of course they're unacceptable, who said that they aren't? I'm sure he's taking it in, but until he does, he's annoyed by the rattle.

My advice for a CD that he could bring to the dealer was to help them fix it right the first time. Rattles can be sneaky in their appearance so it's best to be prepared and say "HERE, DO THIS"
Old 01-27-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

My only suggestion for a quick attempt for self fix is becauce sometimes it is a real pain to take car in for something that could be a quick fix. That way you save yourself several hours of time. When I received my S4 I quickly realized I had a crack on the outter shell of my glove box. I immediately took that back in to get replaced and had no problems with that. With that being said if you do try to fix the rattlin' don't try to take anything apart, as the dealer might then suspect you of doing damage.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JDizzle
Every time I listen to anything with bass (and I'm not talking bass-heavy techno or rap, the bass in Howard Stern's voice makes it happen) there is an intense rattling from the front passenger door, specifically, I think, from the storage bin in the door. Has anyone else experienced this? Someone recommended I stuff I roll of paper towel in the storage bin for now, so I will try that on my way out tomorrow morning. Very annoying. I'm at about 700km and it just started doing it the other day.

Cheers
I had what sounds like the exact same issue which was driving me crazy. I diagnosed it as coming from around the speaker at the bottom of the passenger door. As I live quite far from a dealer I decided to try to fix it myself. By removing a screw from the door panel in the center of the bottom of the door, I was able to shove a small cloth into the area where the speaker is from the bottom with a butter knife. I know this sounds like a strange thing to do, but it worked perfectly and the rattle is completely gone and my B&O system sounds heavenly once again. I was planning on getting the dealer to look at it when I brought the car in for service, but since the problem is fixed I'm thinking what's the point.