S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Stock wheel dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock wheel dimensions

I am about to take delivery on a 2012 B8 Prem+. In my search for a new winter wheel package, I see not too many have the same dimensions for back space and offset. Anyone know the dimensions of the stock 18" doble spoke wheels?

Greatly appreciated!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This may help ... was trying to compile these actually....

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2812835

FYI - I ended up with these rims ..

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Front and Rear

Size: 18x8.5
Offset: +38mm
Backspacing: 6.18"
Bolt Pattern: 5-112
Rec. Tire Size: 245/40-18
Weight: 26.2lbs.
Finish: Silver Painted
Construction: 1 Pc. Low Pressure Cast
Finish Warranty: 2 Years
Manufactured in Germany

The dealer had a set in stock with one winter on them from a ex-S4 owner so I bought them from that owner.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by StevehamS4
I am about to take delivery on a 2012 B8 Prem+. In my search for a new winter wheel package, I see not too many have the same dimensions for back space and offset. Anyone know the dimensions of the stock 18" doble spoke wheels?

Greatly appreciated!
I was doing some research on this before I bought my winter wheel/tire package. I'm almost positive that the factory 18" B8 S4 wheel is 18x8" ET47.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2765684
Old 09-19-2011, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CJ_S4
I was doing some research on this before I bought my winter wheel/tire package. I'm almost positive that the factory 18" B8 S4 wheel is 18x8" ET47.
Correct. I plan to buy the Alzor replicas from ECS Tuning. 18x8 ET45 and no need for rings or different lugs.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

After reading all the reviews for the Blizzaks and Dunlop WS 3D tires I am getting cold feet on buying a winter package. I do want to preserve my summer tires during the winter months, but living in SE Pennsylvania I'm not sure how practical they would be. Starting to think an all season tire would be better for the amount of driving I will be doing in deep snow. I currently have seasoned 1996 Bronco and am going to keep it at least one more winter as it is in great shape. After this winter I was going to evaluate how much bad weather I need to expose the S4 to.

After seeing the damage the salt did to my truck, not sure I want to put the Audi.

Trouble is if I sell the truck after the 2011 winter and have only the all seasons will they get me around in 1-3" of snow or, snow packed streets? I know the "no-brainer" or "to be sure" can be handled by the winter performance tires, but what about those days in between when the roads are dry and cold? Would it make sense to drive the S4 at all during the winter when your tires are squirmy and loud?

Anyone from this Tri-State region have a suggestion? Would good all seasons be better?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone from this Tri-State region have a suggestion? Would good all seasons be better?
I'm not sure there is a clear cut answer for you. I drove a 4Motion Passat with the all season tires that it came with and then put Blizzaks on the factory rims which weren't looking so hot after several winters. In the spring, I bought another set of wheels and put performance summer tires on them. I don't believe the winter tires were all that loud on cold, dry pavement and they handled great. The important part is getting them off the car when things start getting and staying warm out.

It is more costly to have two sets of wheels/tires and takes up some space. On the other hand, from everything I've read, all season tires can do most of what you want, but they just don't do much of anything really well. Philly typically doesn't get hammered with snow, but we've seen more coastal type storms dumping snow on the eastern seaboard over the last several years. If you go with winter tires, just make sure you get performance ones. If you can keep an old truck around for the crappy days and take the S4 out when things are plowed and dry again, that's a nice option to have!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
If you can keep an old truck around for the crappy days and take the S4 out when things are plowed and dry again, that's a nice option to have!
Thanks for the opinion! I'm still leaning towards the Winter tires. Just waiting for the car to take some measurements and decide on a wheel.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the opinion! I'm still leaning towards the Winter tires. Just waiting for the car to take some measurements and decide on a wheel.
I'd get the winter tires. In the event that you have a really bad day or two of driving in icy conditions you'll be all the more likely to not end up off the road or into someone's rear end. Also, all season tires will never grip as well as summer tires. You're better off with picking the right tire for the right situation than compromising.